Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2019, 04:50 PM   #1

What’s the manual override for this slide out?

I’m not new to camping but I’m new to owning a bump out so I’d like to know what is the manual override is for my 2018 prime time manufacturing camper bump out. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0526.JPG
Views:	507
Size:	210.7 KB
ID:	217288Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0525.JPG
Views:	234
Size:	209.7 KB
ID:	217287Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0523.JPG
Views:	234
Size:	181.4 KB
ID:	217286Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0522.JPG
Views:	1356
Size:	230.7 KB
ID:	217285. pictures are attached for your reference. I think I have what they referred to as cable operated Bump Out.?

I’d like to know how to get to the motor and how to pull in the room in the event I’m out there and it won’t come in when. It’s time to come home. Thanks in advance for your help.
Undercover Poe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 06:57 AM   #2

Anyone?
Old 10-15-2019, 07:08 AM   #3

Usually there is some type of attachment point for a tool or socket on the motor or gear box. I'm not familiar with your particular setup, but on my other TT's. One was inside, under the sofa and you put a socket on it and hand crank or cordless drill. Our recent has a port on the outside I can open and put Hex drive into it and run it with a cordless drill...but that one is also Hydraulic and not cable. Wish I could be more help.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 07:44 AM   #4

this looks like the system I had on my Open Range.
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 02:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undercover Poe View Post
Anyone?
That's a Bal (Norco ?) Accuslide. The motor has a fitting at the end and on center that a Robertson head bit goes in, One size larger than a #3. You will need a flex shaft available at most automotive stores and a drill to turn flex shaft. Never had to do it yet but I do have flex shaft which came with unit and I pack a drill just in case. You can actually see where Robertson bit goes in at end of motor in your picture. Could be a hex bit but on mine it is a Robertson.

Hope this helps you.
Old 10-15-2019, 03:05 PM   #6

As for getting to motor I cant help you on your model, but suffice to say it is usually above slide out (bump out) and sometimes requires removing the moulding to expose assembly.
Old 10-15-2019, 04:36 PM   #7

Locked up slide

It looks like plenty of people have put you in the right direction! Does anyone know the answer fo me and my wife if it happens to us on the road! We have a 2016 FR 25 ft Forester MBS with a full slide! We’ve been cross country and back twice to S CA. Many CA trips! Always on our minds is “what do we do (manually) to get the slide in or out if it gets stuck! Please! Thank you, Dan & Gerda
Dan n Gerda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 06:29 PM   #8

Good luck!

I had a 38' Open Range 5er with those slide outs, I was very happy to trade it in. But to answer your concerns, I had many problems with them from day 1. I asked fellow campers who were walking by to help me push a slide out in on more than 1 occasion. So that is how I did it, just pushed the slide in from the outside! Now I will say that most of my problems were caused by mis-adjusted cables. Mis-adjusted by the service people who replaced the motors that were recalled. The 1 slider had a full size residential refrigerator in it. It was never right again. Now I should shut up. I really had bad experiences with those I hope you don't!!
Harry043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 08:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cariboo camper View Post
That's a Bal (Norco ?) Accuslide. The motor has a fitting at the end and on center that a Robertson head bit goes in, One size larger than a #3. You will need a flex shaft available at most automotive stores and a drill to turn flex shaft. Never had to do it yet but I do have flex shaft which came with unit and I pack a drill just in case. You can actually see where Robertson bit goes in at end of motor in your picture. Could be a hex bit but on mine it is a Robertson.

Hope this helps you.

So you say I need a number 4 Robertson tip on a flex driver?
Old 10-16-2019, 05:43 AM   #10

I think I understand. Are you suggesting I turn the fitting on the opposite end of my motor as such?Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2004.JPG
Views:	491
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	217381
Old 10-16-2019, 11:18 AM   #11

Quote:
Believe so. Just went out to shop, #3 Robertson fits into larger wood screw but the flex shaft tool that came with motorhome and Robertson bit does not, it is larger. So have to assume it is #4. Never heard of a #4 Robertson before.
Old 10-16-2019, 11:20 AM   #12

Quote:
I think I understand. Are you suggesting I turn the fitting on the opposite end of my motor as such?Attachment 217381
Yes. that's it.
Old 10-16-2019, 11:24 AM   #13

If you google Accu slide they have the manuals on line for servicing, repairs etc. Should tell you everything you need to know for your particular slide out.
Old 10-16-2019, 02:02 PM   #14

they say they include one tool with every slide. I just sold an open range that had 3 tools in it. Sorry, its already gone. Maybe call them and see if they will sell you one.
Old 10-16-2019, 02:26 PM   #15

Quote:
I may have misled you. Manual says to use 1/4 hex bit supplied with slide. It is possible I used flexible shaft for something else and used Robertson bit in the process and forgot to replace it.

Kind of confused myself now as I have two flex shafts and both have Robertson bits in them, can't see how I would have changed out both of them.

Maybe you should contact Accu-slide and see if they can supply you with flex shaft.
Old 10-16-2019, 02:53 PM   #16

Think I figured it out. 1/4" flex shaft refers to the actual size of flex shaft, the drive end will fit into a 1/4" nut driver or drill. The other end or bit end will accept a bit with a 1/4" hex base. The actual bit in both my flex shafts have S-3 stamped on them which refers to #3 Robertson. Can't explain why they will not fit in a #3 Robertson screw ?. Very close but no go. They could be #4 but they are not very popular. Amazon has 1/4" flex shafts for about $12.00.
Old 10-16-2019, 04:33 PM   #17

Here is even better directions.
includes how to adjust the cables.

Cable repair kit.

Here is a flex shaft
Old 10-16-2019, 05:06 PM   #18

Another problem to consider, is if the flexible shaft between the motor and gear box is broken, turning the shaft of the motor is not going to turn the gear box and not move your slide out room in or out. I have seen these flexible shafts break and then you are sol.. These flexible shafts remind me of the shafts in automobile powered seat types. The motors seem to torque these and twist them. They can break. Most RV OEM's do provide the tool for the manual over-ride in case of power failure etc. It comes with the robertson #3 bit in the end of the 1/4" hex bit drive.

Chris
R time soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 06:05 PM   #19

and most of the failures on the Open Range RV's with this design were blow up gear boxes. This seems to have been 2014 was the peak of this problem.

"f the system locks up (two of our slides did) then someone needs to be pushing the button to close the slide while someone else pushes the slide in. The motor is self locking so nothing is going anywhere if the motor is not spinning...there are enough working teeth to keep the system from going anywhere. One person pushing is enough to make the difference because the motor/gearbox is not only not locked but it is helping if you have the motor spinning."

"As a survivor of two gear box failures, You can take some wire or zippy tie the linkages from either side the gear box to hold the slides in for extra insurance to keep the slides in. Don't be afraid to climb on top of the slides they will hold you. Also when the dealer replaces the gear box make sure you run the slides in and out and each time you run the slide out or in, go and check the cable tension on the slides. You shouldn't be able to deflect it more than an inch or so. Dealer replaced the motor but didn't do the tensions on the cables"

" get two other people plus yourself. Put the two strongest people on the outside, one on each edge of the slide. The third person will want to push the button to retract the slide. The other two will want to PUSH the slide ON THE EDGES, but not by the trim... make sure their hands are solidly on the slide and not on anything that can snap off. Just push the slide while someone is pushing the button to retract it and it will come in and get you through the weekend.

It will probably have the same problem extending, so you have to reverse the process with two people on the inside on each edge, and again, where it is solid and not on the overhanging trim pieces."

But if you break a cable I am not sure what the processes is.
Old 10-16-2019, 07:25 PM   #20

Good information TOW PRO. I was told if your cable breaks the slide out can still be pushed in and can be held in place by using a 2x2 or 2x4 on all 4 corners cut to length so they fit between the wall and slide edges on inside.

The manual you refer to is what I used to adjust my cables. What a job, lots of trial and error and took most of day to do both slides. Year later still working fine. I have had one gear box failure, at home fortunately.

Tags
manual