Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2016, 06:30 PM   #1

Who is the resident Schwintek guru

So tell me, is this the way a Shwintek should leave the factory? Should the upper rack be parallel to the lower rack, or run up a 9% grade as in this picture? Did someone have a blindfold on when they installed it or maybe have their head up you know where?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SCHWIN.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	149.2 KB
ID:	100248  
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 07:35 PM   #2
Always Learning

Holy crap. Are both sides like that? How does it work in the slightest?!
Old 02-23-2016, 07:43 PM   #3

I have the same system on both of the slides, all eight are level.

Based on that picture I need to call my dealer and get mine fixed like that....

I guess it works, but umm how well does it work?

Old 02-23-2016, 08:06 PM   #4

Nice isn't it? That is the type of fine craftsmanship being shipped to the dealers. A 2016 Roo 23WS. So yall are fairly sure its not supposed to be like that huh? I think this may be the last straw trying to buy this camper even though I had previously noted issues with the slide out. What else is done wrong you can't see? Did they put glue in the lamination?

It does go in and out, I don't know how either seeing that those racks run through bushings back at the motor?
Old 02-23-2016, 08:12 PM   #5

Someone was still hungover Monday am.....real bad like!
Old 02-23-2016, 08:14 PM   #6
World Wide Wanderer

Holy Crap Marie! I am surprised it would even work!

I have helped a buddy of mine rebuild the Schwintek system on his Voltage due to a very poor factory install. It is a decent system if sized and installed properly. The tracks are supposed to be parallel. I will see if I can find my link to the installation manuals.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 08:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
Someone was still hungover Monday am.....real bad like!

Well, they must have been at Tuesday wing night because it was built on a Wednesday, or so says the sticker. A member has a Shamrock he just picked up that was built the day before. The Monday/Friday rule is pretty much out the window at this point.
Old 02-23-2016, 09:18 PM   #8

I was assured by the Roo dealer that even though Roos and Shamrocks are produced on the same floor by the same employees that everyone in the factory knows that Roos are the real good ones and bring their A game to Roo builds.
They apparently sleepwalk their way through Shamrock construction.
I can only conclude they are trying to foist on you a Shamrock in disguise.
2 Old Town kayaks & 2 Boston Terriers - Zoey/Gonzo
Lar & Ruth
CNYCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 09:39 PM   #9

You have to call on that. I cannot fathom the thought that the assembly folks and the designers approved that. WOW, and I mean way more than oops.

I am certain that that should be resolved fast. OP, Please update this thread.
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 09:50 PM   #10

Mr Havercamp,

Please post more information in/on your rig/signature, I cannot even hazard a guess as to what needs to be avoided or reviewed in my travels.

Thanks,
Old 02-23-2016, 10:00 PM   #11

Wobbles, its a long story. Ordered in October, delivered to dealer mid December, and waiting on repair approvals and parts ever since. The good thing is I never signed and closed on it. Figured I would get the warranty work done before the sale. I was told its faster that way, well its not. Still kicking away at it though but getting to the point I may tell them to stick it. I want a 23WS but I have no confidence they can build one at this time. Others have bought them recently. I hope they knew what to look for because getting any part out of Indiana is not a fun or fast process.
Old 02-23-2016, 10:12 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
Wobbles, its a long story. Ordered in October, delivered to dealer mid December, and waiting on repair approvals and parts ever since. The good thing is I never signed and closed on it. Figured I would get the warranty work done before the sale. I was told its faster that way, well its not. Still kicking away at it though but getting to the point I may tell them to stick it. I want a 23WS but I have no confidence they can build one at this time. Others have bought them recently. I hope they knew what to look for because getting any part out of Indiana is not a fun or fast process.
Go with your gut and walk away. You want something else after ordering this? Give yourself some time. It sounds like this is all wrong.

Old 02-23-2016, 10:18 PM   #13

Quote:
Wobbles, its a long story. Ordered in October, delivered to dealer mid December, and waiting on repair approvals and parts ever since.
Can you have this work done prior to purchase? Revolutionary....

Old 02-23-2016, 10:33 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobbles View Post
Go with your gut and walk away. You want something else after ordering this? Give yourself some time. It sounds like this is all wrong.

Yep, sure does don't it. I appreciate the response and suggestion. I don't want something else, I want a 23WS. Here's the rest of the story.

I sold my 2013 Keystone hybrid in November after ordering so I made a few bucks instead of taking the trade in hit I was prepared to take. That leaves me camperless. No one makes a 2 bunk 23'ish hybrid anymore unless its the IKSS or Jaycos X23 with small tanks and a crawl over dinette to the front bunk. Those are not options.
The 23WS is the only floor plan we would consider right now. We don't want a TT or anything else.

The 3 options I have are;

1-Let them proceed with this one and hopefully do it to my satisfaction. I know the issues. Other than this slide and some messy work in the wheel wells all the other things are minor or cosmetic. Most I would of accepted if not for the slide and other issues. The parts are already on order.

2-Tell them to get me another one. No telling how long that will take and more importantly no guarantee it will be better, it might be worse or a whole gaggle of different issues.

3-Cancel the whole shebang. What that means is the 2016 camping season is dead in the water and I have a real problem with that. I am running out of camping seasons. I am hoping I can laugh about this come June around a fire while downing some cold ones.

It has been suggested I have it returned to Rockwood for the repairs and I discussed that with Rockwood. They suggested I let the dealers people do them so I'll go with that for now.

Its a tough situation to be in that's for sure.
I don't want this thread to turn into the other one I had going so that's it for the stories. I had them shut it down. I wanted input on that Schwintec rack. I didnt notice it before but I did notice something wrong with the slide, and they intended to pull it.

Yes you can get this stuff done before buying, but its no faster. I have now not made 3 payments I would of made, sort of a bonus but not really.
Old 02-23-2016, 11:10 PM   #15

Quote:
Yep, sure does don't it. I appreciate the response and suggestion. I don't want something else, I want a 23WS. Here's the rest of the story.

I sold my 2013 Keystone hybrid in November after ordering so I made a few bucks instead of taking the trade in hit I was prepared to take. That leaves me camperless. No one makes a 2 bunk 23'ish hybrid anymore unless its the IKSS or Jaycos X23 with small tanks and a crawl over dinette to the front bunk. Those are not options.
The 23WS is the only floor plan we would consider right now. We don't want a TT or anything else.

The 3 options I have are;

1-Let them proceed with this one and hopefully do it to my satisfaction. I know the issues. Other than this slide and some messy work in the wheel wells all the other things are minor or cosmetic. Most I would of accepted if not for the slide and other issues. The parts are already on order.

2-Tell them to get me another one. No telling how long that will take and more importantly no guarantee it will be better, it might be worse or a whole gaggle of different issues.

3-Cancel the whole shebang. What that means is the 2016 camping season is dead in the water and I have a real problem with that. I am running out of camping seasons. I am hoping I can laugh about this come June around a fire while downing some cold ones.

It has been suggested I have it returned to Rockwood for the repairs and I discussed that with Rockwood. They suggested I let the dealers people do them so I'll go with that for now.

Its a tough situation to be in that's for sure.
I don't want this thread to turn into the other one I had going so that's it for the stories. I had them shut it down. I wanted input on that Schwintec rack. I didnt notice it before but I did notice something wrong with the slide, and they intended to pull it.

Yes you can get this stuff done before buying, but its no faster. I have now not made 3 payments I would of made, sort of a bonus but not really.
#1 Run away from this deal #2 No purchase with slide issues(do not know, sure don't think it is normal, the first photo) You have not signed for it right?
#3 Do not be slave to your camper plans, Buy smart and get your own joy that you are not the average bear.

BTW, Where did you get the picture for the initial post? Did they let you pre-camp with the rig?
Old 02-23-2016, 11:13 PM   #16

There is an aluminum cross member that holds the tracks parallel to each other until it's attached to slide then they remove it. Obviously yours was removed before track was screwed to slide.
Rooftop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 11:19 PM   #17

Quote:
So tell me, is this the way a Shwintek should leave the factory? Should the upper rack be parallel to the lower rack, or run up a 9% grade as in this picture? Did someone have a blindfold on when they installed it or maybe have their head up you know where?

I just purchased a IKSS this year, but is it possible the slide closet was built intentionally with a slanted roof to keep water runoff outwards? The tracks look parallel to each other and to the bottom to me. They just don't look parallel to the roof.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Pill Billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 11:22 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Having had slide issues and knowing how hard it was to get our slides right, I would say walk way from that trailer. Order a new one and follow it through the factory build or go with something different. I will tell you, I've been around enough to know the shoddy workmanship issues are prevalent with every manufacturer. The key is to not get the lemon. Mine was a lemon. I've owned it since July 2014. I still hAve issues popping up. I do have to say FR has stood behind the trailer and have worked with me to make things right and keep me happy.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 11:26 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pill Billy View Post
I just purchased a IKSS this year, but is it possible the slide closet was built intentionally with a slanted roof to keep water runoff outwards? The tracks look parallel to each other and to the bottom to me. They just don't look parallel to the roof.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
I wouldn't imagine the weather seals would work very well without the box being completely square.
Old 02-23-2016, 11:27 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobbles View Post
BTW, Where did you get the picture for the initial post? Did they let you pre-camp with the rig?
I took the picture 3 days after the transporter delivered the unit to the dealer. They pulled it on the lot and let me go over it before they even touched it, other than whatever inspection they do to verify no shipping damage. I have been on it, under it, and through it. I spent 3 hours there. I didn't have any water or power other than a power pack but I have inspected it well and there are lots of good things. Fiberglass is perfect, tents and bunks are good, interior cabinetry good. When I found the slide out of whack and some raw luan edges in the well well I canceled the PDI and turnover and down this road we went. I sent them a punch list with pictures and for good measure I threw everything I could find on it. If they are going to keep it and work on it, well you can go over everything. It printed out to 24 pages, mostly pictures. About 20 items. I have 19 pages of warranty approvals from Rockwood here they sent me 3 weeks ago, that's when the parts were ordered.

No I have not signed for it yet, all they have is the $1000 deposit I placed when they ordered it.

I'm pretty sure that the tech who has been dealing with it is better than the people that built it. I really have nothing to lose letting them work on it but time.