Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2017, 10:20 AM   #1

Wildwood 27RKSS Slide won't come in

Hello,

The slide in my 27RKSS won't come in -- at least without quite a bit of manual intervention. Never had a problem with it until this morning and we're getting ready to head out with it for the weekend (naturally).

When I try to bring it in, it comes in a little bit and then stops. Sometimes if I toggle the switch IN/OUT it will begin coming in but I usually have to do that 5 or 6 times total and sometimes have to even "pull" on the slide itself from the inside while doing this. Ultimately, I can get it in so far (done it this way 3 times to test). I'm doing this myself so I suppose I could have someone "push" from the outside.

I hear no "metal to metal" or grinding. Almost seems like it could be binding on the seals around the top or sides. Could that be it? Should I apply some 303 protectant again to those (been a few months)?

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Seakayaker
seakayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 12:02 PM   #2
Site Team

Are you plugged into shore power when operating it?

Are you using the remote or the manual switch to operate it?

If you're not plugged into shore power, then the batteries may be a little weak and that's causing the motor to stall.
Old 06-23-2017, 05:25 AM   #3

We're plugged into shore power and only using the manual switch on the control panel inside.
Old 06-23-2017, 07:14 AM   #4

I have same rig 2016. Try lubing the seals and also dry lubing the rack and pinion underneath. Mine does move very slow starting out but then picks up speed as it comes in. Do you actually hear the motor quit?
jgump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 01:05 PM   #5

It's as if it just "stops" pulling in. I hear no audible change in pitch. Doesn't sound like its straining. If I toggle the panel switch IN/OUT it will begin pulling in again but only pulls in a few inches before I have to toggle it IN/OUT again. After doing that 5/6 times it will finally pull the rest of the way in as if nothing is wrong. We're camping now and the slide is out. Hopefully it will come back in on Sunday! I have some 303 Protectant here so I'll grease up the seals. Will use some graphite on the other when we get back.
Old 06-23-2017, 02:19 PM   #6
Site Team

If the motor continues to run without a noticeable change in sound when it stops, that sounds like maybe you have a sheared drive pin that's grabbing enough to move the slide partially, or a stripped (or partially stripped) gear(s) in the gearbox.
Old 06-23-2017, 02:20 PM   #7

Slide won't retract

sounds like your in/out switch is intermittent. Mine was not making a good contact on the come in side. I tighten the lug contacts and it has worked fine.
saltyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 03:43 PM   #8

I have the same model only 2014. Directions say "no lube". Is your rig tilted toward the street side? That would put more load on the itsy bitsy motor they use. They all start out very slow, but at about half way ahould speed up. Sorry...can't help beyond this.
JimMorrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 05:25 PM   #9

How is your battery voltage? They need power from battery AND converter to work properly.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 11:03 AM   #10

Ok...we're back from our weekend trip. Same results. Slide goes out no problem. Coming in it will move a couple inches at first and then stall. No weird noises. Toggling the switch on the panel will get it moving again but only a couple inches. After doing that 4/5 times and also having someone push from the outside (not strenuous pushing...just applying some weight against it) it comes in all the way as per normal. Once it starts coming in at the normal rate, no pushing is required. It comes in the last 90% of the way normally. It does this regardless of whether connected to shore power or not.

This is our 2nd season camping. We've made about fifteen 2 or 3 night trips. Should I assume the battery that came with it is crap and just replace it or do I have a bigger problem? I hate to miss out on the rest of this season while it sits in the shop.
Old 06-25-2017, 02:05 PM   #11

Have the battery checked.
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 12:47 PM   #12
Site Team

Does the motor keep running and the slide just stop moving, or is the motor stopping?
Old 06-26-2017, 02:24 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
Does the motor keep running and the slide just stop moving, or is the motor stopping?
As far as I can tell the motor keeps running and the slide just stops moving.
Old 06-26-2017, 02:47 PM   #14

This sounds to me like the pin has sheared on the shaft.

2017 Heritage Glen 368RLHBK Limited
2017 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew, 6.7 Cummins
m35a2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 03:25 PM   #15
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by seakayaker View Post
Ok...we're back from our weekend trip. Same results. Slide goes out no problem. Coming in it will move a couple inches at first and then stall. No weird noises. Toggling the switch on the panel will get it moving again but only a couple inches. After doing that 4/5 times and also having someone push from the outside (not strenuous pushing...just applying some weight against it) it comes in all the way as per normal. Once it starts coming in at the normal rate, no pushing is required. It comes in the last 90% of the way normally. It does this regardless of whether connected to shore power or not.

This is our 2nd season camping. We've made about fifteen 2 or 3 night trips. Should I assume the battery that came with it is crap and just replace it or do I have a bigger problem? I hate to miss out on the rest of this season while it sits in the shop.
I would say you have a problem with the contacts in the switch. The switch is a simple two-way rocker that just reverses 12V polarity. If there was a significant resistance the 30A auto-reset breaker would trip, or the 30A fuse would blow. Being that it just stops without any issue, I would take a serious look at the rocker switch. Attached is a manual for your reference.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 12:55 PM   #16
Site Team

A sheared pin or stripped gear was my thought in post #6.

Can you see the slide motor under the RV?

If so have someone operate the slide and look at the shaft coming out of the gear box and when the slide stops moving see if the shaft keeps moving. If it does, and the long tube coming out the other side of the gearbox stops moving the pin is sheared. If the gearbox shaft stops, then there is a stripped gear or gears in the gearbox.
Old 06-27-2017, 04:39 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
A sheared pin or stripped gear was my thought in post #6.

Can you see the slide motor under the RV?

If so have someone operate the slide and look at the shaft coming out of the gear box and when the slide stops moving see if the shaft keeps moving. If it does, and the long tube coming out the other side of the gearbox stops moving the pin is sheared. If the gearbox shaft stops, then there is a stripped gear or gears in the gearbox.
Yes, I can see the motor. I just did as you advised. The slide goes all the way out normally. When the switch is toggled IN to bring it in the shaft moves a bit (maybe one rotation or less). The long tube on the other side of the gearbox doesn't move at all. No strange noises or indications of straining. Additionally, this is the same result after I replaced the 2 yr old battery (which actually tested GOOD) with a brand new battery (May 2017 mfg date). When I push a little on the outside of the slide and have someone toggle the switch IN the slide begins moving in. After coming in a few inches no need to push on it anymore as it comes the rest of the way in normally.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:17 AM   #18

Additional Info

Had a brainstorm!

1. Slide works FINE going IN/OUT as long as I'm using the remote.
  2. If using the control panel switch, it stops after coming IN about a couple inches. Toggling the switch on the control panel IN/OUT while having someone lightly push on the outside will get it going. Usually have to do that 4/5 times. Once it comes in about 8" you can stop pushing and stop toggling the switch. It will come the rest of the way in fine.
So...why does it work with the remote perfectly and stop on the way IN when using the control panel switch?
Old 06-28-2017, 11:03 AM   #19
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by seakayaker View Post
Had a brainstorm!

1. Slide works FINE going IN/OUT as long as I'm using the remote.
  2. If using the control panel switch, it stops after coming IN about a couple inches. Toggling the switch on the control panel IN/OUT while having someone lightly push on the outside will get it going. Usually have to do that 4/5 times. Once it comes in about 8" you can stop pushing and stop toggling the switch. It will come the rest of the way in fine.
So...why does it work with the remote perfectly and stop on the way IN when using the control panel switch?
The remote "CONTROLLER" bypasses the manual switch. As I stated earlier, check the switch connections and the switch contacts. Certainly appears that's where your fault is.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 11:45 AM   #20
Site Team

I'm starting to agree with D W. It's looking like the panel switch. Apparently the motor is stopping when trying to bring the slide in.

Tags
slide, wildwood