Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2015, 09:59 PM   #21
Plain Old Member

I wish they'd just use a 1 piece composite floor or something in the slides opposed to darco wrapped wood. Doesn't take much to rip or mess up the darco. Even your high end manf. do this crap, continuously, and know it's a problem. Those that have watched what water does when it runs down the ends of a slide, can probably figure out what'll happen later. Since they screw the floors from the bottom to the end walls, the screws usually run through the darco, leaving several holes. Water runs up under the slide, wicks in the holes etc. Just a matter of time before the floor rots. A matter of when, not if. Some have fabricated a drip edge out of vinyl on the end wall, and this works too for the water, but doesn't solve the darco wearing.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 10:22 PM   #22
Plain Old Member

Here's a few pictures I'd took at a dealer a few years ago, and another wiht one installed on our Silverback. Really not that hard to install if you're a little handy. Some utilize the doubleside tape, other's have used other methods. Pretty much come pretty long, and you cut to your slides depth. A little over $8 a piece for these I think.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Majestic 1.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	87542   Click image for larger version

Name:	Majestic 2.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	87543   Click image for larger version

Name:	End Cap Installed.JPG
Views:	174
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	87544  
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 10:56 PM   #23

Wama, I hope it fixes the problem as well. I would ask if there is an extended warranty for it though, just in case.
Tillville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 12:03 PM   #24

[QUOTE=gljurczyk;970679]Prime time had the same problem with that darco wrap. They installed metal plates over the 2 sides and center area, if that is the same problem. Don't really know why they even have to put it on. Other slides do not have it. Once that gets wet it just going rot the floor out. First Sanibel I heard of this happening to or I missed it before...I for got what unit they had a real problem with, you might try a search on that subject and see what come's up.[/QUOTE

Métal plates???
Pierre Allard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 12:09 PM   #25

[QUOTE=Pierre Allard;976640]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
Prime time had the same problem with that darco wrap. They installed metal plates over the 2 sides and center area, if that is the same problem. Don't really know why they even have to put it on. Other slides do not have it. Once that gets wet it just going rot the floor out. First Sanibel I heard of this happening to or I missed it before...I for got what unit they had a real problem with, you might try a search on that subject and see what come's up.[/QUOTE

Métal plates???
Try Darco wrap, there is a ton on the subject....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 04:38 PM   #26

I want to thank you all for your comments. It has helped us a lot. We have scheduled to take in later this month. Safe travels to all.
Old 09-07-2015, 07:45 PM   #27
Commercial Member

I would post some pictures of the problem here. Then contact FR and ask them to look at this thread and to post instructions on how to fix their bad design.
This might be a reasonable approach for all RV owners who are having problems. That way many owners get to learn how to fix problems they are having.

Could even be used as a sales tool for FR to show prospective customers how they provide customer support.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 03:39 PM   #28

I have tried to post the pic, but have been unsuccessful.
Old 09-14-2015, 10:04 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
I would post some pictures of the problem here. Then contact FR and ask them to look at this thread and to post instructions on how to fix their bad design.
This might be a reasonable approach for all RV owners who are having problems. That way many owners get to learn how to fix problems they are having.

Could even be used as a sales tool for FR to show prospective customers how they provide customer support.
That was how Nu-Wa operated on their Hitchhiker RV forum. CEO & others would monitor the boards and chime in when comments or action were appropriate. Gave the RV owners a good sense that they were concerned and doing something.

Traveling the highways & bi-ways . . .
with our girls, the maltese pups .
Happy Trails
2Vals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 10:10 PM   #30

Our problem is on the top side of the slide floor. What am I doing wrong? We have the island kitchen with a carpet strip on the slide floor. When the kitchen slide comes in the carpet edge bunches up against the island and is all twisted and deformed. It is new now, but I have to think it will look pretty awful after a while. Should I be rolling or folding it up as it comes in? or is this just another poorly thought out design detail?

Traveling the highways & bi-ways . . .
with our girls, the maltese pups .
Happy Trails
2Vals is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
show, slide, slide out