Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2015, 02:02 PM   #21

I sent a flaming email directly to Forest River last night. Action has started. I went down to the dealer this morning where my rv is. They had a bunch of folks look at my two windows in question. The analysis is a few things. The windows were installed incorrectly. The outside seal against the window is completely wrong which allows the water to get in. They still don't understand why Forest River used windows without weep holes. As of this morning Forest River is asking the dealer for a quote to make ALL repairs on their dime. Hopefully we have final resolution. Bad windows and workmanship on their part.
FrankA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 02:06 PM   #22

FrankA we purchased a 2014 Cedar Creek 36CKTS and also had a leak in the same panel and window. We made a warranty claim with our dealer and that went to Cedar Creek. CC responded back to dealer that water leaks would not be covered by warranty. Dealer stated they or CC one would cover the repairs. After a couple of weeks at the dealership, CC decided to cover the cost of the panel and window. I am once again a "happy camper". BTW, we noticed the damage starting after about 4mos. of ownership and didn't try for repairs until camping season was over.
dkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 02:24 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly View Post
FrankA we purchased a 2014 Cedar Creek 36CKTS and also had a leak in the same panel and window. We made a warranty claim with our dealer and that went to Cedar Creek. CC responded back to dealer that water leaks would not be covered by warranty. Dealer stated they or CC one would cover the repairs. After a couple of weeks at the dealership, CC decided to cover the cost of the panel and window. I am once again a "happy camper". BTW, we noticed the damage starting after about 4mos. of ownership and didn't try for repairs until camping season was over.
Where did you first notice the damage?

Any one have any pics?

Thanks
Old 01-08-2015, 10:20 PM   #24

We knew the windows in question leaked every time it rained. Had no idea the damage it was causing. Took it to two different dealers and nobody could seem to make the windows leak. Last year while deer hunting I put the slides in and it tore the linoleum. Took it back to the dealer and in a couple of days they said the floor had dropped because it was rotting on each end. Each end directly beneath the leaking windows. I have pushed and pushed Forest River the last couple of days. I got an email today saying Forest River is going to cover the cost for ALL repairs. My advice to anyone that has leaking windows get it in now and push them to figure out why. Don't want anyone to go through what we have been going through. They say our windows are part defective from day one along with being completely installed wrong.
Old 01-08-2015, 11:22 PM   #25

Thanks Frank

So you could see water running down the interior wall when it rained.

We haven't experienced any window leaks.

But when we first got our rig I noticed there was no exterior caulking on the top seam of our frameless slide wall windows. All of the other windows had a bead of caulking on the top of the window. I put a bead of GeoCell Proflex on all the side slide windows.

I'm guessing they don't do it at the factory because they don't want to take the time to leave the slides open for a day to allow the caulking to dry.
Old 01-08-2015, 11:54 PM   #26

Location: Jonesboro AR--Home of Arkansas State University and the Red Wolves
Have recently bought a 2014 CC Silverback 33RL.....our sofa is at the end against the back wall with large window....it has end tables at each end......we have found water after a rain under the side exit window on top of the end table....this window slides up or you can open the red handles and push outward to escape......is this the type of window being discussed that has the weep holes.....it's 8 degrees outside and will be out looking as soon as weather warms up....we're getting ready to go back to our dealer in a week or two for warranty work....was planning to put the leaking window on our list...btw, the water damaged the top of the end table before we noticed it.
2014-38nights/3500 mi; 2015-66nights/6260 mi;2016-44 nights/6106 mi;2017-65nights/6992 mi;2018-47nights/7376mi;2019-65nights/7825 mi;2020-59nights/4142mi;2021-39nights/3072 mi;2022-59-nights/6149 mi;2023-36nights/3001miles.
jtownstumpjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 03:58 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtownstumpjumper View Post
Have recently bought a 2014 CC Silverback 33RL.....our sofa is at the end against the back wall with large window....it has end tables at each end......we have found water after a rain under the side exit window on top of the end table....this window slides up or you can open the red handles and push outward to escape......is this the type of window being discussed that has the weep holes.....it's 8 degrees outside and will be out looking as soon as weather warms up....we're getting ready to go back to our dealer in a week or two for warranty work....was planning to put the leaking window on our list...btw, the water damaged the top of the end table before we noticed it.
I believe we're referring to the windows in the dining room slide out. They only slide up to open. They are not emergency exit windows.
Old 01-09-2015, 06:53 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidney View Post
I believe we're referring to the windows in the dining room slide out. They only slide up to open. They are not emergency exit windows.

Our friends had the exact same setup in their Sabre and the window next to couch leaked horribly in rain - water poured onto that end table

Had a local RV tech come out to seasonal spot since dealer was over two hours away - he found a huge gap at top of that window and caulked it

It lasted most of the summer - he said hole was cut too large for the frameless window....

Unit went back to dealer in Nov with a rather large list of problems - they just called to say it is finished
Needless to say there WILL be a PDI when they pick it up this time!!!

Last PDI was any questions??
Nope you are good to go - AND the dealer forgot to hand over keys that day so they had to drive halfway back to meet someone to get them !!!
heavynlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 01:04 PM   #29

Here is my 2 cents. IF you do not get resolution, invest time and effort to go to 2015 Rally in Goshen.
We have a 2015 and my dealer is 1300 miles, round trip. Not doing that, ever. Besides his work crew were inexperienced on electrical. FR factory reps fixed all my issues in 20 minutes and we got 2 free mugs 😳.
Guy across had 5 yr old Rockwood ( I think) and they pulled his axle and replaced it on spot. He told me year before, severe water damage. They asked him to stay for 2 additional days and took the tt to the factory ( out of warranty ). Pulled shell from the frame and replaced all substructure that had damage. Squeaky wheels get the grease!
I would get my issues noted with factory and sign up and go! You have everything to gain. They had 500 attendees in 2014 and expect over 700 in 2015. They are making a commitment to satisfy customers. I would not consider any other mfgr again and this is not our first rodeo!!
We really like our Silverback and feel it is well constructed. One other thing that helps with understanding is the factory tour. I even took construction process video. Nice to get an idea of the layout before the shell.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 01:44 PM   #30

I agree with Mel 100% !! I think there were about a total of 60 or so CCs and SBs at the rally. We were in the CC RV Owners Club bunch of RVs at the FROG Rally. We had 25 or so CCs and SBs grouped out in the race track area. We were descended upon by a horde of CC factory techs who fixed everything for free. The only thing any of us spent our own bucks for were the 10 or so of us who bought Trail Aire Tri-Glide pin boxes at the LCI booth. At an excellent discounted price I might add and all were installed by LCI for free. We are going again this year and looking forward to it. I will save any problems and drag them there with me. Cedar Creek and Forest River are very cognizant of their reputation for taking care of their customers and obviously want it to continue.
2013 Chevy 3500HD, D/A, DRW, 4X4
WeRCreekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 01:53 PM   #31

FrankA, our leak didn't look like a leak but as though someone had gotten trash in the glue before the paper was applied with little granular sand like feel. It wasn't until we took it in for service that it was determined to be a water leak. We didn't see it because the table and chairs had not been moved for about 4 mos after it was purchased. I'm sorry but I don't have any photos.
dkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 08:38 AM   #32

we have a 2010 34RlSA with the same problem. But only one window leaks the back one.
I did talk to the window manufacture and she told me to clean out the drain hole which i did. A procedure that was fairly simple. Just went through a 3.5 inch rain storm . At the beginning of the storm the rain was light with wind against the window . Didn't leak but when the heavy rain came the window started to leak. Still the front one didn't leak....so looks like the drain holes have to be bigger. ???? how to do this not sure any suggestions
Barry
blynds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 09:02 AM   #33

My take of why the end windows of the slides are verticle sliders ... With the frameles windows on current model years, you can't have a crank out because somebody would for get to crank it in before they pulled the slides in making a big mess.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 02:44 PM   #34

The ultimate decision our leaking windows was they were installed incorrectly at the time of build. No neglect on our part. Forest River has agreed to cover the costs for all the repairs needed. Took a little bullying on my part but I knew this was not our fault.
Old 02-03-2015, 02:46 PM   #35

Barry,
I would take it to a dealer service department and explain the issue. In our case we had pictures and videos during a heavy rain storm.
Old 02-03-2015, 03:24 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankA View Post
The ultimate decision our leaking windows was they were installed incorrectly at the time of build. No neglect on our part. Forest River has agreed to cover the costs for all the repairs needed. Took a little bullying on my part but I knew this was not our fault.
Frank

Can you describe how the windows were installed wrong. I want to inspect ours before taking it out of storage this spring.

Thanks
Old 02-03-2015, 04:10 PM   #37

The service guys said there was too much pressure used when they were installed. The bottom was pushed in farther than the top. He got on top of the rv and looked down on the window and immediately noticed this as a problem. Look all the way around the outside edge of the window. It should be evenly spaced all the way around. He said he could see exactly why these windows leaked. The windows are seamless / frameless vertical sliders.
Old 08-23-2015, 04:11 PM   #38

Hello, I am new to this forum and looking to purchase a new Cedar Creek 36ckts. I have been reading a lot of posts about the CC and ran across this older thread. Might anyone be experiencing any of the windows leaking water? Hopefully the factory has remedied the problem with earlier years and the vertical opening windows.
keith52 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cedar creek, leak