RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 10-17-2020, 03:18 PM   #1

2013 Cedar Creek Winterizing

I winterized my unit today. I placed all the values into the winterizing mode. Also emptied the hot water tank. I pumped the antifreeze into the unit, opened the water valves in the kitchen, the bathroom and the pink came out of all the cold water side but not the hot water side. Is this normal when winterizing this type of fifth wheel?
rrekosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 03:24 PM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrekosh View Post
I winterized my unit today. I placed all the values into the winterizing mode. Also emptied the hot water tank. I pumped the antifreeze into the unit, opened the water valves in the kitchen, the bathroom and the pink came out of all the cold water side but not the hot water side. Is this normal when winterizing this type of fifth wheel?
No, not normal.
With the water heater in bypass, antifreeze will come out the hot faucets just as it does the cold.

Are you SURE your water heater bypass valve(s) are in the correct positions? What you are describing (no antifreeze flow from the hot taps) sounds like the water heater bypass valves are set incorrectly and antifreeze is going into the water heater.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '17=30 '18=51 '19=58 '20=98
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 03:30 PM   #3

The antifreeze didnít go into the hot water Tank so I am not sure What the issue is.
Old 10-17-2020, 03:42 PM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
The antifreeze didnít go into the hot water Tank so I am not sure What the issue is.
You could still have one the bypass valves in the incorrect position depending on what configuration you have.

On a 3 valve system, if the water heater inlet valve is closed (cold) and the bypass valve in the center is mistakenly closed, no water will flow out the hot taps either.

Can you post a photo of your valves?

Old 10-17-2020, 04:14 PM   #5

2013 Cedar Creek winterize

I tried to send a pic but I canít figure out how to do it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	261.7 KB
ID:	241375  
Old 10-17-2020, 04:17 PM   #6

2013 Cedar Creek winterize

The picture I sent shows at the bottom a picture of the way the values should be when winterizing . I am at home but that is the way I have them set.
Old 10-17-2020, 06:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
On a 3 valve system, if the water heater inlet valve is closed (cold) and the bypass valve in the center is mistakenly closed, no water will flow out the hot taps either.
This is my first time winterizing our 2015 Cedar Creed Silverback.
I have a follow up on your above post. I have 3 valve system on my water heater, 1. Cold In (bottom), 2. Bypass in middle, and 3. Hot out (top)

On normal Mode Cold and Hot are in Open mode, and the Bypass valve is closed. However, for winterizing, I believe that only the Bypass needs to be opened. The other two you leave alone. Is that right? Maybe I have this wrong, so checking.
Old 10-17-2020, 06:59 PM   #8
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
The picture I sent shows at the bottom a picture of the way the values should be when winterizing . I am at home but that is the way I have them set.
The diagram in the picture shows all the valves closed according to the position of the handles. (perpendicular to line) That diagram isn't correct for winterizing. (nor normal operation)

There is some writing on the center valve and it may say something pertinent but I can't read it in your photo. I also can't see your actual valves so I don't really know how yours are positioned.

The center valve should be open (handle parallel to line) and the other two closed for winterizing.

For normal operation, the center valve is closed and the other two open.
Name:   3-valve-water-heater-bypass_.jpeg
Views: 398
Size:  9.3 KB

Old 10-17-2020, 07:04 PM   #9
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padua2 View Post
This is my first time winterizing our 2015 Cedar Creed Silverback.
I have a follow up on your above post. I have 3 valve system on my water heater, 1. Cold In (bottom), 2. Bypass in middle, and 3. Hot out (top)

On normal Mode Cold and Hot are in Open mode, and the Bypass valve is closed. However, for winterizing, I believe that only the Bypass needs to be opened. The other two you leave alone. Is that right? Maybe I have this wrong, so checking.
Not quite. For winterizing, you change all three. See my post above for a 3 way valve diagram. There are other valve configurations too depending on the R/V brand and make/model of the water heater. I believe those diagrams are in the library/FAQ section of the forum.

Old 10-17-2020, 08:05 PM   #10

2013 Cedar Creek

Thanks 5picker, you are correct. I will have to change the position of the middle valve to correct this issue. Thanks For all the time you spent with me.
Old 10-18-2020, 01:42 PM   #11

Name:	IMG_0987.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	241427

Name:	IMG_0988.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	241428This is how my 2016 Cedar Creek values have to be to winterize.
JohnE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 02:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Not quite. For winterizing, you change all three. See my post above for a 3 way valve diagram. There are other valve configurations too depending on the R/V brand and make/model of the water heater. I believe those diagrams are in the library/FAQ section of the forum.
That was very helpful!
Thanks
Old 10-18-2020, 05:24 PM   #13

This is the cheat sheet I used to make sure my values are in the correct position during winterizing, as well as non-winterizing times. Please note in the non-winterizing time, I state that I close the value from the fresh water tank, when I am not using the pump (in other words, when I am hooked to city water). I then open the fresh water tank value, when using the pump to get my water from the fresh water tank. The reason I close the value when I am hooked to city water, is because sometimes the diaphragm value in the pump, gets stuck open, causing the city water to fill the fresh water tank. I have had that happen a few times, and keeping the value closed, when on city water, prevents that problem from happening.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0990.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	241435  
JohnE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 09:44 AM   #14

water valves

That sticker is showing you what each valve is for. Not what position the should be in for Summer or Winterizing.

Is this what your valve set up looks like?

Summer

Winterizing:

C.B.
cbvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 10:16 PM   #15

I live in the pacific northwest where it is seldom below freezing but is damp most of the winter. Does anyone put a small heater or anything in your trailer during the rainy season?
jtsriding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 11:46 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsriding View Post
I live in the pacific northwest where it is seldom below freezing but is damp most of the winter. Does anyone put a small heater or anything in your trailer during the rainy season?
Your profile says you are in Canada, so I'm guessing British Columbia.
I live just south of the Canadian border, on the Puget Sound. I've never used the small heater for rainy weather. Just when we get temps under freezing.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2013, cedar creek, winter, winterizing