Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2020, 08:03 AM   #1

2017 CC Siverback 33IK Electric Hot water

We recently purchased this 5th wheel and on our 1st trip out, I couldn't seem to get the electric HW to work, but gas works great.

Breaker was on, and the switch inside hall cotrol panel was on but it didn't warm up (overnight). Am I missing something else in the process? Thankfully the gas worked great when I switched it over the next day.

I was going to take a meter and test everything out, but when you open it outside, I only see the gas portion and no electric element.

I know it was one according to the paperwork and the previous owner, who stated that it always worked but that they normally used gas.
westflgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 08:12 AM   #2
Site Team

You may have a Suburban. Hold on and I'll get you some links.

Life is about changing perspectives and priorities: I used to worry if one of my hairs was out of place, now I don't care if they both are.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 08:13 AM   #3
Site Team

Try this link as it explains the electric switches (and locations) for a Suburban brand water heater (either the SWDE or SWDEL models) There is one on the face of the water heater itself. (if you have this brand and type of water heater)

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ore-36197.html

Life is about changing perspectives and priorities: I used to worry if one of my hairs was out of place, now I don't care if they both are.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 08:42 AM   #4

Thanks for the information, mine does have a switch on the WH. I tried it with it boths ways, but it didn't seem to work on electric either way. I will watch the link you supplied, hopefully it will show me something that I am missing.
westflgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 08:59 AM   #5

On my Hathaway the electric portion of the water heater is very slow!

Twice I have turned it on and 15 minutes later expected some reaction. Nope.

Seems to take hours from the time I push the switch.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 09:11 AM   #6
Site Team

As strange as it may seem, we’ve had reports of members finding their water heater’s electrical cord UNPLUGGED. You have to access the rear of the heater to check this.

The electrical element is on the front of the heater with the propane gear - it’s behind a black plastic cover (not the rectangular rubber one with the reset switches).

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 56; Booked = 52
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 05:13 PM   #7

Not wanting to be the bearer of bad news...

I'm hoping this is not the issue, but the good news is that the fix is inexpensive.

If the water heater electricity is turned on with no water in the water heater (e.g., if the heater was drained for the winter), the electric heating element will burn out quickly.

The good news is that a new element and the tool to install it are both inexpensive.

This:
https://www.amazon.com/Suburban-5209...3382266&sr=8-3
and this:
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Residen...Y7N7RCXRQ0X8TJ

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 05:46 PM   #8

My 2017 29IK Silverback has the plug in behind the utility panel where the tank valves and water valves are. The switch next to the electric heating element tis for the electric part of the heater. The gas works better and I usually use it.
Grumpy7159 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, hot water, water