Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2019, 06:43 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in Florida View Post
I'll take a photo of my new switch and wiring configuration tomorrow.

Jim
Thank you so much
CampinGpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 06:29 AM   #22

There is a "Battery Disconnect Switch" but it is not in or near the battery's. So instead of adding another switch, I figure the add a relay and wire to the switch that is there so I don't have to add battery wire to fix it.
smittyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 08:15 AM   #23

interesting idea! and i'll bet the existing switch is much more accessible than putting switch in the battery compartment.
Old 04-06-2019, 08:38 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
If this were my trailer, I would modify do that everything was disconnected with the disconnect switch. Seems like that would not be hard to do. One cable is what all it would take.
And if you did that you would be real pissed if you needed to disconnect from the trailer only to find the door was locked and your keys were inside. Or if the switch broke and you could not pull the slides and jacks to go home!

Not often but sometimes the manufactures have some good ideas.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 10:02 AM   #25

The switch is in the docking area and not in the battery area. About the only time you would use it is when you store the unit. We had a problem one time after we picked up our fifth wheel that when we used the level up that we had to stop the system in an emergency the battery did not cut it off to stop it. So this is why I would like to kill everything when you use the switch.
Old 04-06-2019, 10:40 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
And if you did that you would be real pissed if you needed to disconnect from the trailer only to find the door was locked and your keys were inside. Or if the switch broke and you could not pull the slides and jacks to go home!

Not often but sometimes the manufactures have some good ideas.
If you are disconnecting from your trailer, you already have the battery disconnect on. Nobody is going to be pulling a trailer with it off. You needed power to connect to your truck right?
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 10:50 AM   #27

This was the second time we had used the trailer. We had the steps down when we used the jacks and in the process were afraid the steps might get in a bind. Tried to shut the system off by the disconnect switch and it didn't cut it off. So I would like to have it disconnect everything just in case.
Old 04-06-2019, 10:54 AM   #28

Quote:
If you are disconnecting from your trailer, you already have the battery disconnect on. Nobody is going to be pulling a trailer with it off. You needed power to connect to your truck right?
WhY? Can you explain why there are fuses on the trailer tongues that go from the battery directly to slides and jacks?
Old 04-06-2019, 10:58 AM   #29

Because it would be a lot quicker to open side door turn switch then to open front door under over hang and remove the inline fuse.
Old 04-06-2019, 11:02 AM   #30

Quote:
WhY? Can you explain why there are fuses on the trailer tongues that go from the battery directly to slides and jacks?
Because its easier for them to do that and cheaper. Not all trailers are that way. I got rid of those crappy little breakers on the front of my tongue. I have a high quality breaker out of the weather that I installed on mine.

My brother's class A motor home has no power to the slides or to the levelers when the disconnect is off. EVERYTHING is turned off with the disconnect switch. My uncles Sprinter has no power to the slide when the disconnect switch is off.

As an electrician, I am surprised you would want some power live on a trailer with the disconnect switch off. You want some of a house you are working on powered when you turn the Main breaker off?
Old 04-06-2019, 11:25 AM   #31

Quote:
Because its easier for them to do that and cheaper. Not all trailers are that way. I got rid of those crappy little breakers on the front of my tongue. I have a high quality breaker out of the weather that I installed on mine.

My brother's class A motor home has no power to the slides or to the levelers when the disconnect is off. EVERYTHING is turned off with the disconnect switch. My uncles Sprinter has no power to the slide when the disconnect switch is off.

As an electrician, I am surprised you would want some power live on a trailer with the disconnect switch off. You want some of a house you are working on powered when you turn the Main breaker off?
I give up!
Old 04-06-2019, 12:15 PM   #32

Quote:
I give up!
Old 04-07-2019, 06:11 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampinGpa View Post
Thank you so much
Here are photos of what I did in my 2019 33IK. New disconnect and solar controller on my street side access. Rerouted wiring in my battery compartment. All old battery positive connections are now going through the new switch. Only other wire going to the battery goes to the solar controller. 20 watt permanent panel on the roof, 100 watt portable when needed.

Switch - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Bushings (through the battery box) - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

New 12v cable - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I may add a 200 amp fuse in the line going to the new switch
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190407_135642072.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	461.2 KB
ID:	201130   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190407_135904730.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	289.8 KB
ID:	201131   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190407_135915548.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	355.0 KB
ID:	201132  
Old 04-08-2019, 04:19 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in Florida View Post
Here are photos of what I did in my 2019 33IK. New disconnect and solar controller on my street side access. Rerouted wiring in my battery compartment. All old battery positive connections are now going through the new switch. Only other wire going to the battery goes to the solar controller. 20 watt permanent panel on the roof, 100 watt portable when needed.

Switch - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Bushings (through the battery box) - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

New 12v cable - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I may add a 200 amp fuse in the line going to the new switch
Thank you
CampinGpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 04:36 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyboy View Post
The switch is in the docking area and not in the battery area. About the only time you would use it is when you store the unit. We had a problem one time after we picked up our fifth wheel that when we used the level up that we had to stop the system in an emergency the battery did not cut it off to stop it. So this is why I would like to kill everything when you use the switch.
I would be willing to bet that the switch in the docking bay is the disconnect for your inverter for your residential fridge if you have one. That is the way my Sandpiper is setup.
koller1509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 07:57 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyboy View Post
If what you are saying is true. Then the battery wire for the hydraulic control can go to the battery but the control wire goes to the cut off switch. I thought the whole idea of the battery switch was to cut all 12 volt to the camper so nothing is on when it is turned to off.

In my 16 371REBH, the disconnect only disconnects power to the inverter. This is counter intuitive, as anyone with car racing experience will tell you the RED disconnect (which looks exactly like the one in my fifth wheel) in race cars shuts ALL 12 v power. This oversight on their part caused me to delay my last camping trip for over an hour while diagnosing why my inverter would not come on. The first thing I did was to verify I had 12 power in the cabin, before tearing into the basement to get to the inverter. The service center I just had repairs done at had shut it off while performing them. No logic whatsoever. Don't trust logic when doing anything to your RV. # Rant over#
csterl01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, battery disconnect, switch