Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2020, 01:19 PM   #1
RichB

2020 31IK Silverback, install washer/dryer?

Hello All,

We just purchased our new 31IK 5er, and immediately put it into storage. We have to wait out the virus! In the meantime, we want to do things like install shelves, you know, nesting. We plan on getting the side by side washer and dryer by Splendide. Our last 5er had the Splendide combo washer/dryer and we are looking forward to using the separate units.

For the Cedar Creek people out there, does anyone have some photos showing how they installed the separate washer and dryer side by side? Or has anyone gotten installation directions from the Cedar Creek factory?

The attached photo is taken out of the marketing brochure produced by Cedar Creek. The washer is on the right, and yes, it sticks out right to the edge of the floor shelf in the closet. The two units are staggered front to back, due to the curvature of the front cap.

There are two shelves on the right side in the closet that currently fill up the space where the washer/dryer are supposed to go. Just unscrew four screws and the two shelves come right out in one piece. I've done it, and the shelves are very easy to remove.

Once the shelves are removed, the fiberglass insulation is exposed and right behind the insulation is the front cap. I didn't take pictures at the time showing the opening, sorry, and now the 5er is in storage and not so easy to get into.

I also downloaded the Splendide installation manuals for the washer and the dryer. The dryer air intake is behind the unit, pulling in cold room air behind the dryer from right where the insulation sits.

My question is, what is the best way to keep the fiberglass insulation from blocking the air intake of the dryer? A roll of chicken wire comes to mind, but is there something that actually works for others? Something that won't rust or corrode or collapse over several years of usage?

The Splendide dryer manual also says that the exhaust vent should be rigid metal ducting or may be flexible metal ducting. In either case, no more than three elbows and up to 6 feet of ducting with three elbows is allowed.

Anyone have any experience with either rigid or flexible ducting? How easy are they to clean out the accumulated lint periodically? Do we have to pull out the dryer to get to the ducting?

Sorry for the long post, but thought it better to ask early, before getting too deep into the project.

Thanks, Rich.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	washerdryer.png
Views:	256
Size:	134.8 KB
ID:	227688  
RichB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 09:04 AM   #2

KD (metal piping) or fixable exhaust piping should be put together using duct tape, screws collect lint and can cause a blockage or fire hazard. I think I would mount a thin hard panel behind the dryer to prevent insulation migration.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 01:02 PM   #3
RichB

Hi everyone,

I had a chance to take some photos of the closet area, hope they make sense.

Thanks, Rich
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20200502_110547.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	179.4 KB
ID:	228151   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200502_111154.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	181.0 KB
ID:	228152   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200502_111249.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	182.0 KB
ID:	228153   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200502_111306.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	185.9 KB
ID:	228154  
Old 05-09-2020, 10:23 AM   #4

Rich,
I sent you a PM

Ken
ken23322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 10:00 AM   #5
RichB

after the install

Hi Everyone,

Well, our friendly dealer installed the washer and dryer for us, I think it came out pretty good.

Rich.

PS: A big thanks to Ken!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20200528_110520.jpg
Views:	427
Size:	257.9 KB
ID:	230422   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200528_110547.jpg
Views:	462
Size:	236.2 KB
ID:	230423   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200528_110556.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	210.4 KB
ID:	230424   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200528_110605.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	195.1 KB
ID:	230425   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200528_111830.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	194.8 KB
ID:	230426  

Name:	20200601_142207.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	203.2 KB
ID:	230427  
Old 06-02-2020, 10:11 AM   #6

Rick,
Looks great. Glad it all worked out for you.

Ken
ken23322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 01:36 PM   #7

When they did the install make sure they clamped down the legs on the 2 machines or they will move when you travel.
radio flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 04:10 PM   #8
RichB

Regarding clamping down the washer/dryer, the factory didn't use leg clamps. Instead they used sheet metal 'Ell shaped' brackets on the top of the units. If you look close in the 'after' pictures, you can see some black strips on the top of the washer and dryer that look about two inches high and ten inches long. The brackets are double side taped to the tops of the units, at about ten inches square. The brackets are then screwed into the woodwork in the closet. Looks pretty solid and probably won't move anywhere. Attached is a picture showing the full bracket on top of the dryer.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	WASHER DRYER.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	151.3 KB
ID:	230602  
Old 06-05-2020, 07:47 AM   #9

I think I will be ordering a new 31IK soon and plan on getting the W/D as a factory option and have a couple of questions.

1. I have noticed when looking at these that there is a sticker above the water connections that basically states to put the dryer vent here, but it makes more sense to me for it to be vented out of the cap (Like in the photos)?

2. Is there enough room to place a drain pan under the washer. I have seen this done in several campers and some take a drain line up along the king pin to drain in the event of a leak?

Thanks,
Jason
jblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 10:09 AM   #10
RichB

We wished that we had gotten the factory installed washer/dryer option, it makes a lot of sense to let the factory do the work.

Yes, the dryer vent goes through the cap on a factory installation, we saw that on another Cedar Creek. The dryer vent hose is completely hidden. Why they show the 'drill hole here' sticker on the sidewall, we'll never know.

On our last fiver we purchased the drain pan for the washer/dryer combo, but the installer said there was no good way to install the drain line. So we had a drain pan without a drain.

In terms of room to fit the drain pan, it really doesn't take up much room, and it should definitely fit under the washer.

If the factory installs the drain pan with a drain line, then great, go for it!

Glad to hear that you are planning on getting the 31IK, we really like the layout around the 24" wide oven and cook top. We ordered our unit last November, and it took four months to build. You may want to ask what is the current backlog at the factory.
Old 06-05-2020, 10:29 AM   #11

Rich,
Thanks for the reply. I have spoken with a Wholesaler in Ohio that told me he can normally get them in 6-8 Weeks.

Do you feel that the kitchen pantry is too shallow? Having to decide between 31IK and 33IK. The 33 loses counter space around oven and also loses the bathroom storage closet, but does gave a larger Kitchen Pantry. So far we are leaning toward the 31.
jblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 11:54 AM   #12
wls

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblack View Post
I think I will be ordering a new 31IK soon and plan on getting the W/D as a factory option and have a couple of questions.

1. I have noticed when looking at these that there is a sticker above the water connections that basically states to put the dryer vent here, but it makes more sense to me for it to be vented out of the cap (Like in the photos)?

2. Is there enough room to place a drain pan under the washer. I have seen this done in several campers and some take a drain line up along the king pin to drain in the event of a leak?

Thanks,
Jason
I drilled where (DRILL HERE) went thru about 3/4 of a stud
2008 Dodge 3500 Dually, Cummins. Amsoil Bypass Oil Filter, 36 Gal aux fuel tank. Mag Hytec Trans pan. Mag Hytec Diff Pan. 6 speed autostick. 3:73, Timbrens, Smarty JR. Equipped.
2016 Cedar Creek 38FB2
400 watt Rich solar on top,200 watts of suitcase
wls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 01:38 PM   #13
RichB

Our old fiver had a big pantry, and we'll have to make changes where we put stuff. We prefer the large counter areas on both sides of the stove top, and are willing to put stuff into other places. One of the biggest selling points of the 31 was the stove area. We like to cook and the stove area should be very nice for two people when cooking.

You are right, the 31 pantry is a bit shallow. We took the shelving insert that we removed from the closet, to put in the washer/dryer, and cut the insert into pieces to make two more shelves in the pantry. That should help a lot with extra pantry space, mostly for canned goods. Having six shelves in the pantry instead of four, will be nice, too bad the factory didn't put them in to begin with.