Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2020, 05:28 PM   #1

2020 Cedar Creek Champagne 38EFK

We have 3 air conditioners with one being a Heat Pump, That HP is located in the bedroom(rear of coach). The HP will only provide heat to that zone. That zone has the options for HP, Cool, Furnace and Fan on the thermostat. The second zone is for the front of the coach and I have been told to keep that zone off on the thermostat.

My question is should the HP be providing heat to all zones? I just picked up this camper a week ago and we are having our first cold spell. Also how forceful should the furnace be spewing heat? The heat comes out of my registers at a very slow rate.
Winger57103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 06:23 PM   #2

The 3 AC units are tied together with a race track duct. Alot of the heat from the heat pump will go to the zone that it is in but you will get heat out of the other zones. My heat pump is in the main living area and I get plenty of heat in the bedroom and bath. Don't know how much air should be coming out of the furnace, but my furnace has a pretty gentle air flow.
Old 02-08-2020, 06:34 PM   #3

Wish mine was in the living area

Thanks for your reply. I have the optional space heater in the bedroom which is overkill in that area. Wonder if they could be easily switched?
Winger57103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 06:44 PM   #4

This could be very wrong. Saying that in advance.

My understanding of 2 or 3 a/c or heat pump units and ducting, is that there is just one run of ductwork, and any time any of the 3 are on, all the air goes down the same ductwork.

The 'zone' is for the thermostats to tell which unit to come on or not. E.G., my zone 2 has a thermostat sensor next to wall light switch in bedroom. The setting for zone 2 and the sensor in bedroom, are what determines whether zone 2 a/c comes on or not. But if it does, it goes through same duct. If Zones 1 and 2 are both on together, that's just more air through same ducts.

Gas furnace is through the floor ducts. Not connected. Heat pump is just another function of the roof a/c units.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 02:14 PM   #5

My hp heats the entire 5er down to about 38. Located in the rear bedroom. Front living room is good too but center kitchen is a bit cooler
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 02:47 PM   #6

Low furnace flow rate

Quote:
Originally Posted by srosey View Post
The 3 AC units are tied together with a race track duct. Alot of the heat from the heat pump will go to the zone that it is in but you will get heat out of the other zones. My heat pump is in the main living area and I get plenty of heat in the bedroom and bath. Don't know how much air should be coming out of the furnace, but my furnace has a pretty gentle air flow.
The low flow rate from the furnace is by design. It results in a longer air dwell time in the firebox, so the air is warmer. The last thing you want on a chilly morning is a draft of cooler air. Gentle and warmer is better.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 03:00 PM   #7
Global Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
The low flow rate from the furnace is by design. It results in a longer air dwell time in the firebox, so the air is warmer. The last thing you want on a chilly morning is a draft of cooler air. Gentle and warmer is better.
For the first two years I owned my Cedar Creek, the warm air from the furnace barely reached the bedroom. Last year I took the vent off the furnace intake (located in my kitchen) to clean it, (there is no air filter) and I discovered when they built my unit they did not attache the rear cover to the furnace. The screws were there, but not attached. When I attached it, I got a nice flow of warm air to the bedroom.
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS (Center Kitchen Three Slides)

Scheinin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 03:06 PM   #8

It's hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scheinin View Post
For the first two years I owned my Cedar Creek, the warm air from the furnace barely reached the bedroom. Last year I took the vent off the furnace intake (located in my kitchen) to clean it, (there is no air filter) and I discovered when they built my unit they did not attache the rear cover to the furnace. The screws were there, but not attached. When I attached it, I got a nice flow of warm air to the bedroom.
These SF-family furnaces are pretty straightforward to work on, but it sure is uncomfortable. You're right down at the floor level, reaching in. With bifocals or progressive lenses, your head is all the way back, too, to see what you're doing. Recipe for a sore back.

That's no excuse for shoddy construction, but it's sure easy to understand how it happens.

One of the "Dan" moderators found that on his furnace they had punched out one of the knockouts that should have been left in place and all the warm air was circulating back into the furnace and cabinet.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 06:18 PM   #9

We had the screws fall out of back end of our furnace on our 36 CKTS so all of the heat staying in that area and it was starting to melt the air return grill. I pulled the grill off and put the screws back in plus some more that I had and wrapped some metal duct tape around the seam.
BM Welder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 07:56 PM   #10

We attended our local RV show last Thursday. General RV, Campers Inn and RV One. Don’t remember what company had a CC Hathaway edition. These were show trailers and were using 6 pt levelers. The bathroom door was gapped at the top by an inch. Some of the screws holding trim were mismatched. The assist handle by the door was flimsy at best. Not the same workmanship that our 2018 Cardinal displayed.
Retired JSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 10:40 AM   #11
Global Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired JSO View Post
We attended our local RV show last Thursday. General RV, Campers Inn and RV One. Don’t remember what company had a CC Hathaway edition. These were show trailers and were using 6 pt levelers. The bathroom door was gapped at the top by an inch. Some of the screws holding trim were mismatched. The assist handle by the door was flimsy at best. Not the same workmanship that our 2018 Cardinal displayed.
It is really hard to find good hired help.

Old 02-10-2020, 11:09 AM   #12

Send a message via AIM to B and B
It is not hard the problem is piecework. All of them do it, if they stopped this. Increased wages a bit the Quality would improve. End buyers would pay more. Most don't care about Quality, a select few are more concerned.
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 05:43 PM   #13
Global Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
It is not hard the problem is piecework. All of them do it, if they stopped this. Increased wages a bit the Quality would improve. End buyers would pay more. Most don't care about Quality, a select few are more concerned.
I disagree. The workers don't take pride in their work. They took the job, they knew what the wages were, and they choose not to give it their all. That is laziness.

Over my working career, I had numerous jobs. The first was shoveling manure on a farm for minimum wage. In all my jobs, I gave it my best. I had pride that whatever job I was hired to do, no one was going to do it better.

Old 02-12-2020, 10:24 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scheinin View Post
I disagree. The workers don't take pride in their work. They took the job, they knew what the wages were, and they choose not to give it their all. That is laziness.

Over my working career, I had numerous jobs. The first was shoveling manure on a farm for minimum wage. In all my jobs, I gave it my best. I had pride that whatever job I was hired to do, no one was going to do it better.
If you think those Amish at the CC factory are lazy, I would venture to guess that you have never watched them work!

The problem is their business model is structured for speed and not quality. It's a difficult process to have both at once. They have a quota to build each day and when that number is built, they go home to begin all the farm chores they have to do. This lends itself to working at a near dead run all day...with no looking back or even much of a system of quality checks in place.

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
USS Pyro AE-24 WestPac MM2 '71-'75
SlowrideHD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cedar creek