Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2016, 04:24 PM   #1

29RE Bed Room Slide "Leaking"

Just spent 2 1/2 days fixing a leak on our 2014 29RE...I noticed a water stain on floor under the bed room slide about 3-5" from outside edge. Removed the metal bottom trim and low and behold there was lots of mold and the "sawdust" floor was wet! Also removed the metal angle alum strips on each side....The three sides of the slide out are not fastened to the floor at the bottom..They are cut about 1/2" short.. Took a heat gun and stuck it up inside and proceeded to dry out the plywood sides and floor area.......When dry I caulked all along the bottom of the plywood ends and side panels with flextech clear caulking.....This is the material used to caulk the outside seams..not silicone!!!! Dries hard as ****! I then screwed all along the bottom of the plywood sides to the floor squeezing out any excess caulking. I made sure all wood surfaces were covered...I then covered the side and bottom edges wit duck tape....The screws underneath the bottom trim frame are 1 1/2" long...These are too long....The existing screws go in and hit the aluminum framing that runs across from side to side and do not pull the bracket up tight....I then drilled each hole with a 1/8''bit and replaced the screws with 2" sheet metal screws which pulled the bracket on bottom trim up tight to the floor squeezing out any excess putty tape....

I had checked the seal along the bottom trim and could not see any area where it could leak.....There was an opening at each end that was covered with the plastic corner trim pieces.....Also was told by my dealer that this has been a problem common to the CC's....A number of floors changed out under insurance coverage!

Next fine day I am also going to paint the bottom of the slide with a grey paint....Hope I will have fixed the leak!!!!!

So if you have a CC please keep a sharp lookout for water damage in this area.....J
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 04:56 PM   #2

Thanks for the heads up
keith52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 04:27 PM   #3

I have a 2014 silverback and it appears the bottom angle iron is bending away from the bottom of the slide. I'm sure that the 3 corners are not held together. Bad design.
Jim Hingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 05:12 PM   #4

29RE Bed Room Slide "Leaking"

Don't want to draw away from your discovery and fix. I had the identical issue 1 year ago on my new Silverback 33rl. That is the correct repair in my limited expertise ( as stated by poster) Pros fixed mine.

Now let me share: my upper corners were never melded and were also in need of repair. They fixed that and did a complete reseal on slides and roof. Found other areas not sealed and fixed those!

The factory recommends annual inspection and reseal. Hard to reseal if you cannot visualize the problem and know where and how to correct it. Just say'n!!

Get someone to check your unit that has knowledge. Also, as poster stated; watch for WET SPOTS. Get them dry and sealed.

I ran gorilla tape over my cornices for months until repair was completed correctly. ( no further water seeped in) .

How did I discover mine?? I was ducking under the BR slide testing the slide advances from the outside of the RV. Looked up: bam; water stain! BAD!! Dry; tape; get materials; remove tape and repair as poster stated."
I was scheduled for an AC replacement so I waited for the pros!
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 05:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hingston View Post
I have a 2014 silverback and it appears the bottom angle iron is bending away from the bottom of the slide. I'm sure that the 3 corners are not held together. Bad design.
If the side and front angle iron is distorted that is a sure sign that the floor is wet and swolling......Fix asap!!! Jim
Old 09-10-2016, 05:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in Halifax View Post
If the side and front angle iron is distorted that is a sure sign that the floor is wet and swolling......Fix asap!!! Jim
Front storage area....Check top hinge bracket....My door has a slite bind when closing.....Top molding in middle and LHS is pulled away from 5er...Re-caulked today....Getting ready for Fl!!!!...J
Old 09-13-2016, 09:24 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in Halifax View Post
Front storage area....Check top hinge bracket....My door has a slite bind when closing.....Top molding in middle and LHS is pulled away from 5er...Re-caulked today....Getting ready for Fl!!!!...J
Hi Jim, just read these posts. We have a 2013 29RE and am not quite sure if you are talking about the inside or outside of the bedroom slide. I can say I haven't noticed any dampness on the floor of the bedroom at the slide edge when extended. We have however have had a very wet floor at the back end of the drivers side living area slide when extended and found the cause to be a window cutout to be to large at the top left hand corner looking from inside out. Resealed with caulk and now all ok. Do you have any pics of your repair?
I have posted some pics of our window leak in a previous post!
Old 09-13-2016, 11:03 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiecamper View Post
Hi Jim, just read these posts. We have a 2013 29RE and am not quite sure if you are talking about the inside or outside of the bedroom slide. I can say I haven't noticed any dampness on the floor of the bedroom at the slide edge when extended. We have however have had a very wet floor at the back end of the drivers side living area slide when extended and found the cause to be a window cutout to be to large at the top left hand corner looking from inside out. Resealed with caulk and now all ok. Do you have any pics of your repair?
I have posted some pics of our window leak in a previous post!
I noticed a water stain all along the long end panel on the outside surface---underneath the slide......I can only assume that water either got in at one of the 45* corners or along the aluminum trim at top.......Sorry no pics taken but I think my method is explains what I did ...
Old 09-14-2016, 08:31 PM   #9

I noticed mine when it dropped the lower panel to the point it split the corner plastic pieces. It never did leak inside that we where aware of. The side rear bottom quarter angle is also twisted.

Salt

Lose the 2nd and the rest will follow.
Salt Shaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed, leak, roo, slide