Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2019, 03:47 PM   #1

2nd GFI?

I have a 2019 Cedar Creek Champagne 38EFK. I just finished installing an inverter and it seems one of the AC circuits is dead. There is power at all the breakers on the main panel, and the sub-panel and the GFI in the bathroom is fine. This leads me to think that there is a 2nd GFI somewhere in my unit that I am not aware of. Believe me, I have searched every where I can think of before this writing, and I couldn't find 1. Is there anyone out there who is aware of a second GFI and it's location in my 5er? I have checked all the obvious places (I think) I am hooked to shore power ATM, so the inverter is really not the issue, it has pass through capabilities and the other circuits are working fine, on shore power, or inverting.
Old 12-30-2019, 04:12 PM   #2

the bathroom and outside are the two places that come to mind. often several outlets can be wired down stream from one gfi but that doesn't sound like the issue.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 04:25 PM   #3
Always Learning

Pull the GFI outlet and see if there's power on the downstream side of it. They're known to fail.
Old 12-30-2019, 05:23 PM   #4
Coach

We have a second GFI in the basement outlet. Maybe there or an outside kitchen if you have one?

2017 Sandpiper 381RBOK
2006 Ram 3500 Cummins Dually
valleyduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 05:47 PM   #5

There are two (2) GFCI's in my TT. One in the bathroom and one up under the kitchen cabinets. I didn't notice that there was an outlet there for quite some time

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 06:17 PM   #6
Site Team

We've heard reports of the receptacle behind the fridge being a GFI. You may want to check there if you haven't.
Old 12-30-2019, 07:17 PM   #7

Was the AC working on that circuit before you installed the inverter? What type of AC is affected and where?
Rich5117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 07:48 PM   #8

How many outlets are not working and where are they? What did you power with the new inverter? GFI device are not usually found outside, just down stream outlets. GFI outlets are installed in outside storage compart,emts.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 09:10 PM   #9

look at you distribution circuit breaker panel. how many breakers do you have that are labelled GFI? if two, there is another GFCI somewhere. if only one you may not have a second GFCI. of course this assumes that the breaker panel is labelled logically which may be just a hope.
Old 12-30-2019, 09:17 PM   #10

when you remove your Main Panel cover, is there a BLACK wire that is no longer connected to a breaker? If so, that's the circuit.

when the inverter is installed, and expects 'pass thru' 120v power, it must receive that thru a breaker, which could be the one that 'used to' power your circuit that seems dead.
Was a new breaker installed to send power thru the Inverter?

What outlets are not working? Have you identified all of them?

give us a lot more details about 'how' this inverter was installed and wired...and pics, too
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 12:21 PM   #11

Wow, so many questions!! Thank you, you helped me solve the problem!! Someone mentioned that the Main Panel would have the GFI breakers listed (maybe). Well, mine did have only 1 listed. So I stopped looking for that 2nd GFI and started looking for the real problem. Someone else asked about receptacles, well, one of the receptacles that was not working was the one on the back of the main panel, this is where the converter was plug into. On the other side of the main panel, there was a wiring diagram, very easy to follow. I did not do this wiring, I had hired an electrician, well, one of the wires (who mentioned Black wires?) was loose. You could not see it was loose, had to check it physically. I pulled his wiring connections apart and redid them, and wala!! Power restored just like that. Thank you for all your questions, that is what got me looking in the right direction and I finally got this thing cooking. The DC wiring I can do in my sleep, but AC wiring is not in my head at all. I just finished installing a 4000 watt Magnum 4024 inverter with 8 6V batteries and I simply didn't trust myself to run the 30amps to and from the inverter and install a sub-panel. I wanted it done to code and done safely, but I guess even the pros screw up. Again, thank you!!