Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2018, 07:40 AM   #1

36CKTS Weight

Looking at a 2018 36CKTS Hathaway edition. Does anyone have their actual loaded weights? Pulling with a 2016 Ram 3500 srw. I知 sure i知 fine but I never believe the advertised weights. Thanks
pppthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 08:47 AM   #2
Mddle of the Rd Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pppthomas View Post
Looking at a 2018 36CKTS Hathaway edition. Does anyone have their actual loaded weights? Pulling with a 2016 Ram 3500 srw. I知 sure i知 fine but I never believe the advertised weights. Thanks
Not sure what you mean by 斗oaded weight ...... we all carry varying amounts of 都tuff with us as we travel
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2013 RAM 3500 6.7L diesel DRW Crew Cab
"When you get to the fork in the road, take it....."
MeepMeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 09:52 AM   #3

14,400 with a 1/2 tank of water, empty holding tanks. Storage compartments mostly full with my usual stuff for a long trip. Pin weight is about 2800.
racer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 10:03 AM   #4

With a GVWR of over 16,500 pounds I would not consider it with a SRW. Cedar Creeks are notorious for being pin heavy. One of the reasons they tow so well. Oven if you were to not load to near the max you pin weight is likely going to be 3500+ pounds. Thats going to be at the absolute max for a SRW truck. Add anything to the truck and its going to turn into an unpleasant situation sooner or later. Smaller/lighter trailer or get a dually is my opinion.
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 10:14 AM   #5

I have yet to officially figure my loaded weight. That said, I DO have SOME numbers.
My truck and loaded trailer at the scale was 25,160. My truck has been weighed later, NOT loaded down like I would be traveling, without anyone in it, at around 9,000 lbs+.

Then, when I got I.S., they weighed each axle. My back axle weighed 6,000 and my front axle weighed 5,400. That doesn't take pin weight into account, of course. I still don't know my pin weight but I have reason to believe it's closer to 4,000 than it is to 3,000.

I know several folks in our CC "family" that pull theirs, or a similar one, with a SRW. But most SRW folks have older, smaller trailers, or lighter Silverbacks. I know one guy who pulled a 38FBD with a SRW and thought we were crazy to suggest he get a dually. Then he got one and is amazed. Yet, I know another guy with one like mine that went BACK to an SRW and has no complaints, but he stays on pretty flat territory.

I'd suggest just going and pulling it and you'll know then whether you're happy. I don't think the Earth will stop if you don't get a dually, but I also think a dually is your best bet.......and that's from experience. While pulling mine I have never thought "Wow, I wish I had a SRW".......

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 10:51 AM   #6

I have a new 34rl2 and have no problem with SRW F350
Bosco731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 12:14 PM   #7

I wonder if you went to a 8,000lb axle and 17.5in tires would that make the pin weight the same, increase the pin weight or decrease the pin weight
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 01:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I wonder if you went to a 8,000lb axle and 17.5in tires would that make the pin weight the same, increase the pin weight or decrease the pin weight
Will make no difference. The only way to alter the pin weight is by moving the axles.
Old 01-20-2018, 01:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by donniedu View Post
Will make no difference. The only way to alter the pin weight is by moving the axles.

Where does the axle weight plus the tires factor in? So if you got heavier axles and bigger tires just means you can carry more weight in the camper and if you carry more weight then your pin weight doesn稚 increase
Old 01-20-2018, 02:02 PM   #10

. Thanks for the info. I致e been doing this a long time both professionally & for fun so I know what works & what doesn稚. That痴 why I wanted some real weights cause whats in the brochure has never been correct in my experience. I realize some people carry more than others. Thanks again!
Old 01-20-2018, 02:10 PM   #11

Pin weight is based on a percentage of the total weight. Draw yourself a straight line. Now place a verticle line approx 1/3 of the way from one end. Place XXX pounds of weight over the verticle line if that weight were 100 pounds how much weight would you see at the 2/3 end of the line? That is how your pin weight is figured. The more weight you place foreword of the axles will increase pin weight. The more weight you place behind the axles you will unload the pin. If you were able to place all your load behind the axle you might be able to get pin weight down enough that you could tow it with a 2500 truck. The flip side is your pin weight would be so light it would be nearly impossible to safely go down the road.

Bottom line, you might be able to tow the trailer IF you load extremely lightly. But, if you look at a pin weight of 20% of 16,500 pounds that is going to place close to 4000 pounds directly over the rear axle of your truck. Do you have that much load carrying capacity? If not, then bottom line is you just do not have enough truck
Old 01-20-2018, 03:02 PM   #12

Quote:
Pin weight is based on a percentage of the total weight. Draw yourself a straight line. Now place a verticle line approx 1/3 of the way from one end. Place XXX pounds of weight over the verticle line if that weight were 100 pounds how much weight would you see at the 2/3 end of the line? That is how your pin weight is figured. The more weight you place foreword of the axles will increase pin weight. The more weight you place behind the axles you will unload the pin. If you were able to place all your load behind the axle you might be able to get pin weight down enough that you could tow it with a 2500 truck. The flip side is your pin weight would be so light it would be nearly impossible to safely go down the road.

Bottom line, you might be able to tow the trailer IF you load extremely lightly. But, if you look at a pin weight of 20% of 16,500 pounds that is going to place close to 4000 pounds directly over the rear axle of your truck. Do you have that much load carrying capacity? If not, then bottom line is you just do not have enough truck
Someone copy and pin this somewhere where it's available to point to!!!

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 03:28 PM   #13

Quote:

So it depends on how your camper is loaded as to what your pin weight is. The more weight at the rear the lighter the pin weight. So you could install something on the rear hitch and bring your pin weight down. So your pin weight might be 15% of total weight. Also 20% of 16,500 is 3300 hundred pounds , 15% would be 2,475. Is it set in stone that the pin weight will always be 20% if total weight? I would think your truck might have something to do with the pin weight. I could install another fresh water tank behind the axles and pull a bigger camper. I知 not going to trade trucks, I want to see what no payment feels like, I have a SRW 3500
Old 01-20-2018, 03:47 PM   #14

Let me throw in some numbers from when I picked up my 36CKTS from the dealer. These are empty weights from a CAT scale pulling with my Chevy dually
Truck with 2 passengers, hitch, and empty aux. fuel tank
Front axle...4960#
Rear axle...3920#

Truck with 2 passengers and 36CKTS
Front axle...5040#
Rear axle...6780#
Trailer axle..11360#
Gross weight...23180
keith52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 04:01 PM   #15

There is more to pulling these large trailers than some realize. I can easily carry the weight in my truck. Under normal driving situations no problem. But get in a emergency situation (going down the interstate @ 60 mph & have to sharply turn one way or other & the truck turns but trailer wants to continue straight), this is where a DRW will save your life. The SRW will jackknife much quicker. I have decided to keep what I have till I can get a DRW truck to pull the larger trailer. Thanks
Old 01-21-2018, 08:49 AM   #16

When I was driving a commercial truck I jackknifed my truck and trailer and that was not fun, I thought I was going to die. The trailer brakes didn稚 work right in that situation. I have disk brakes on the camper and I知 not saying you can稚 jackknife it but I believe I can get out of that kind of situation. I see a lot of dually 壮 on the road but I知 going to keep my SRW, it痴 paid for. Maybe in the next couple of years I plan on trading for something bigger. After two trips to Alaska it will probably be time to trade. I always say buy what you like and can afford and feel safe in. My CC 32RL loaded up can weigh 15,750lbs, a 36CK2 don稚 weigh but 16,500. I would feel safe pulling it with my SRW 3500
Old 01-22-2018, 09:21 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by pppthomas View Post
Looking at a 2018 36CKTS Hathaway edition. Does anyone have their actual loaded weights? Pulling with a 2016 Ram 3500 srw. I’m sure i’m fine but I never believe the advertised weights. Thanks
We have a 2016 36CKTS. We weighed the truck loaded and then weighed the truck and trailer loaded for a 2 week trip. (No washer/dryer or generator.)

The trailer added 15K to the overall weight, 3K on the pin which added 2K to the rear axle and 1K to the front axle. The remaining 12K was carried by the trailer axles
Old 01-22-2018, 10:11 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
I have yet to officially figure my loaded weight. That said, I DO have SOME numbers.
My truck and loaded trailer at the scale was 25,160. My truck has been weighed later, NOT loaded down like I would be traveling, without anyone in it, at around 9,000 lbs+.

Then, when I got I.S., they weighed each axle. My back axle weighed 6,000 and my front axle weighed 5,400. That doesn't take pin weight into account, of course. I still don't know my pin weight but I have reason to believe it's closer to 4,000 than it is to 3,000.

I'd suggest just going and pulling it and you'll know then whether you're happy. I don't think the Earth will stop if you don't get a dually, but I also think a dually is your best bet.......and that's from experience. While pulling mine I have never thought "Wow, I wish I had a SRW".......
Hmm...total weight of 25,160 - 9000 for truck = 16,160 lbs camper weight. Camper axle weights total 6000 + 5400 = 11,400. 16,160 - 11,400 = 4700 lbs of pin weight. Now you've done it. I'm going to have to get mine weighed and see what I'm hauling. My dually squat may be justified!

2012 Cedar Creek 36CKTS Touring Edition
2015 Ford F-350 CC DRW Lariat
Joe_GA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight