Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2018, 06:32 AM   #1

38 FL satellite wiring

After several hours of troubleshooting as to why my dome reception was not working, I found that the internal wiring was not hooked up somewhere in the depths of the rv.

Thank you Forest River for the quality gift that just keeps giving. From lights that have had to be rewired to a faded front cap to an AC unit that leaked to a water pump that has never been that great and other minor stuff, and now this... UGH!
dmdrj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 02:47 PM   #2

I agree, "Cedar Crap"
kinzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 08:00 AM   #3

Sorry for your problems, after 13 RVs I understand the nature of the beast. This last RV (my first Cedar Creek) has been one of the best. I've found Customer Service to be excellent. I hope that you are at the end of your problems and can finally enjoy your RV.
2017 Ford F350 SRW CC SWB 4x2
Demco Hijacker Autoslide 18k Hitch
sh1pper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 02:15 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmdrj5 View Post
After several hours of troubleshooting as to why my dome reception was not working, I found that the internal wiring was not hooked up somewhere in the depths of the rv.

Thank you Forest River for the quality gift that just keeps giving. From lights that have had to be rewired to a faded front cap to an AC unit that leaked to a water pump that has never been that great and other minor stuff, and now this... UGH!

Just wondering are you the original owner?
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 05:31 PM   #5

Yes, We are the original owners.
Old 06-20-2018, 05:37 PM   #6

How many other RVs have you owned?
Cedar Creek seems to be a notch above the rest in quality. If you had a bad dealer, thst is not FRs fault totally. Our Creek was nearly flawless for years. But all mfgs pump out huge numbers of product. Quality is not their top priority for sure.
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 07:00 PM   #7

We have owned 4 other rvs, but this is by far the most expensive.

I took the factory tour hoping to photograph the inner workings of a 38Fl, but they were not building any that particular day. ( of course )

I understand why quality is lacking. The workers start very early in the morning assembling the product and they need to haul a**. They use a rail system to advance the product assembly. Half way through their work day, they stop assembling and cut all pieces to be assembled the following morning. I do not believe they focus as much on quality because they know the dealers will fix their mistakes.

It wasn't worth my time and effort to return to the dealer for the small stuff that I could fix myself and it was out of warranty for the bigger issues.
Old 06-20-2018, 07:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Yes, We are the original owners.

We have Cedar Creek and we love it. Both caps faded. How old is your camper?
Old 06-21-2018, 11:16 AM   #9

Old 06-21-2018, 12:43 PM   #10

Did your caps just fade or has it been awhile. Have you tried calling Cedar Creek about the caps
Old 06-21-2018, 02:30 PM   #11

Quote:

I have a Cedar Creek also that I can not get the satalite to work through the trailer but when I hook in up direct it works fine. Were you able to find where the problem was and get it corrected or did you run new cable ? How did you correct this problem?
RRD1220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 04:35 PM   #12

They both faded two years in and after the warranty was up. I worked on them a bit last year and need to try buffing out the areas I worked on.

Maybe this weekend if it is nice out.

This is what Forest River sent me to fix the fade: ( which I did not follow )

Betterway Cap Fade Repair

STEP 1:
Repair and Restore- 4.0 hours
Start by sanding the area with a DA sander with 600/800 dry paper, blow off dust periodically to check progress.
Blow dust and wipe with a damp cloth and continue wet sanding down 1000 and finally 1200 grit wet sand paper.
Start buffing with a wool pad and 3M super-duty compound to work up scratches.

STEP 2:
Protect- 4.0 hours
Seal the cap with UV Protective 2K Urethane to avoid cap fading.

STEP 3:
DECALS- 3.0
Old 06-21-2018, 04:38 PM   #13

My satellite worked when running the cable direct to the receiver.

If I cannot find a good way to run the cables, then I will cancel Dish.

Hoping to run cables soon.
Old 06-21-2018, 05:03 PM   #14

Just run a new coax. It is very likely thst you have three issues. Cheap coax, unauthorized splitters and bad connections. Its not worth the fight, its much easier to runa new dedicated sat coax using sat approved components from somewhere covenient outside to inside behing the TV. Did that in my last fiver and worked just fine after that.
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 10:02 PM   #15

Quote:
They both faded two years in and after the warranty was up. I worked on them a bit last year and need to try buffing out the areas I worked on.

Maybe this weekend if it is nice out.

This is what Forest River sent me to fix the fade: ( which I did not follow )

Betterway Cap Fade Repair

STEP 1:

Repair and Restore- 4.0 hours

Start by sanding the area with a DA sander with 600/800 dry paper, blow off dust periodically to check progress.

Blow dust and wipe with a damp cloth and continue wet sanding down 1000 and finally 1200 grit wet sand paper.

Start buffing with a wool pad and 3M super-duty compound to work up scratches.

STEP 2:

Protect- 4.0 hours

Seal the cap with UV Protective 2K Urethane to avoid cap fading.

STEP 3:

DECALS- 3.0

I think the only way to fix the faded caps is have a body sand them out and repaint them. My first Cedar Creek I brought in 2012 faded out, Cedar Creek did not want to fix the cap. I traded that one for another Cedar Creek and the cap faded at 11 months. I called the factory and was told if I brought the camper back to the factory they would replace the cap. That was the front cap. The rear cap was replaced this year, my Cedar Creek was built in 2014.
Old 06-22-2018, 06:45 AM   #16

That was supposed to be body shop
Old 06-22-2018, 10:36 AM   #17

If you're hooking up to the one that says satellite, it will not work. That outlet is for if you have a roof mounted satellite dish. You have too use one of the other ones. I have 2 other connections on my cedar creek, one for over the air antenna and one for satellite that is run to the connection in the service bay. I have 3 connections in my service bay. One for living room, one for bedroom and one for park cable. All cedar creeks are prewired for the roof mount automatic satellite dish and that is wired to the connection that says satellite. Took me a while to figure that out.
cody1884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 06:48 PM   #18

Thanks for the info Cody1884,

I did attempt a hookup to both output connections and neither worked.

I did not see anywhere on my roof to hook up a satellite connection. I ran my cables down a pvc pipe to the service bay.

Tags
lite, satellite, wiring