Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2018, 10:27 AM   #41

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1984fireball
...and you will not be able to run it because there is no power to that breaker. [[referencing plugging a 50amp coach into a 30amp shore breaker via an adapter/"dogbone"]]

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
That is incorrect. The 30 to 50 amp dogbone ties both sides together making everything work. Just can not use everything.

right, if we are talking about a 50amp coach's Shore Power cord being adapted down to a 30amp Shore Power outlet, then the adapter's job is to not only allow you to 'use'(plug into) the 30amp outlet, but also send that 30amps thru BOTH 'legs' of your 50amp shore cord, giving both 'sides' of your Main Breaker panel the availability of all that power, whether used solely by breakers on only one side of your service, or a combination of both sides.
This can be the confusing thing about true '50amp RV service', as it is really TWO sides of 50amp incoming power, for a total of 100amps. Both sides of power provide full power available to each 'side' of the Main Panel, as the panel is designed for this separate double-pole 50amp breaker incoming power. You'll see that your Main Breaker panel has it's own Main double-pole 50amp breaker, just like what you see at the Shore Power's breaker. They both provide the same and equal protection. The interesting part of this type of double-pole breaker is that if EITHER 'side' uses more than 50amps, it will trip BOTH sides of the breaker, since it's handle is attached to both. The reason is that 240v 50amp RV service uses a single 'common' Neutral for both sides, and electrical 'rules' provide that neither side can exceed the 50amp service.

and, true, you are then 'limited' by only 30amps of power, for the whole coach. More than likely, you would trip the 30amp Shore Power breaker before tripping any in your Main panel, the opposite of what usually happens when you are plugged into a 50amp RV service outlet, with a double-pole 50amp Main breaker.
We've found that when we use an adapter in this 30amp outlet situation, taking our 50amp(100amp) coach down to a 30amps, the Shore Power breaker not only limits our usage, but can be a 'weak' point since it has been used so often, and can become susceptible to tripping even before you've reached it's 30amp limit. Having the campground change out the breaker to a new one usually solves the problem.
A while back this same situation occurred: I ran both air conditioners successfully at a previous 30amp campground, but after arriving at another, it would trip the 30amp Shore Power breaker within a few minutes. I had them change it out, and had no further problems the rest of the stay, even though they swore that the park's breaker was 'not' the problem. They now know that it's not always the camper's usage, but sometimes weak breakers.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 12:01 PM   #42

You could use a Y adapter with a 30amp male & 15amp male to a 50amp female
Joelsand60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 12:25 PM   #43
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Herk is this "EASYPROMO" just for You or can the "WE People" use it also? Thanks,Youroo!!
Its for everyone apparently (even non FRF folks).
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 12:33 PM   #44
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOODMAN View Post
I love this! But you said you put the donut on one leg. What do you do, do you split the main 50A RV cord and tie it in there? Curious how to put the coil into the line and where.
Also, did you put the display in the wall in your RV?
I opened the power panel and pulled each BIG hot wire out of the bottom of the main breaker. Its a Pain in the Butt because the wire is very stiff. Slip the donut on the wire and push it back into the breaker and tighten it down.

You still need to run 4 signal wires (very small guage) to wherever you are mounting the display. 2 are from the donut wires (amperage) and 2 are from the neutral and a hot wire on that side. I used a 4 conductor solid core telephone wire I used the black and red wires as the voltage and the green and yellow wires as the amperage.

I mounted the display right above the power panel in my camper because all the power stuff was there anyway. I also mounted a wireless fridge temp display because you can't see the fridge with the dinette slide closed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1201.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	396.4 KB
ID:	191054  
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 02:59 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjoh View Post
I am planning a trip to the North Rim and the camp ground only offers 30 AMP power. Is it safe to use an adapter to convert my 50 AMP plug to a 30 AMP receptacle? I have been told it is fine as long as I don't run both A/C units. I have a 2018 Silverback 29 IK and don't want to ruin anything.
I am assuming youíre going to the North Rim next year? We were just there this past week and there is no campground open. The park is open and no rangers collecting money. Only thing open at North Rim was the gift shop. About 10 cars in parking lot and itís Great time of year to go. We boondocked out at Locust point.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	68A91CE8-1F58-4913-B263-056945E62CEF.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	464.9 KB
ID:	191157  
Woody1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 08:16 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjoh View Post
I am planning a trip to the North Rim and the camp ground only offers 30 AMP power. Is it safe to use an adapter to convert my 50 AMP plug to a 30 AMP receptacle? I have been told it is fine as long as I don't run both A/C units. I have a 2018 Silverback 29 IK and don't want to ruin anything.
Got the about the same model you do, I run this thing off 30 amps all the time. I run it out in my barn, down on the road that goes over the dam where I park it and just got back from Houston where for 2 days I ran the AC (only one, which was enough) then a front came thru and I ran the electric fireplace heat on high for 2 days and the whole time my hot water was heated with electric. Got the full size home fridge running day n night.

Fuses blown> "0"

Not sure how many legs my adaptor has but it works in RV parks and it works off my 110 extension on my Cedar Creek, Jayco, and Arctic Fox.

Bought the adaptor at Camping world several years back, have 2 and I have never had an issue till my AC unit got old on My Arctic Fox and would not start. After buying a half dozen or so EZ start, SOFTE start, Fast Start, Quick starts and who knows how many I bought and NONE of them would start that 8 year old AC unit that blew ice cold air.

Finally I called the mfg and asked why! Why? Well its 8 years old that's why!!!

Anyhow I am an engineer (retired) and it gnawed at me as to why I could not get my AC unit to start except at an AV park with full fu manchu juice, would not start off my genset or anything else but at an RV park. So I would wake up in the middle of the night and think on it (really, it's an engineer thing, you may not understand).

Then one am about 0330 I tried this: Shut everything down, switch over to battery power and hit the AC switch, BINGO it started. The I fired up my 2500 Genset and flipped the main switch over to gen power...AC keep running and put ing out cold air. Then I pulled into my adaptor and my adaptor into my 110 v in the barn. AC kept running and putting out cold air.

It was a hot summer night here in S Tx and I fell asleep with it running and wife woke me up at about 6:30 wanting to know what in the hell was I doing sleeping out in the barn in the RV and how did I get the AC to work?

There you have it, skip the meters and other stuff, go buy an adaptor, you can ask the clerk how many legs it has but he won't know and prob not care. Move on down the road like I have for the past 20 or so years adapting when I need to and never having an issue...the place I stayed at in Houston, LOL, $25 bucks and they told me to go out there and keep plugging until I found a hot socket. With luck found one, and due to the standing water and mud I was the ONLY RV in the park for the whole time we were there

Don't worry, be happy...
Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
'19 F 350 CC, LB King Ranch Ultimate
17 Oaks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
50 amp