Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2017, 08:13 PM   #1

A few questions (2017 Champagne 38EL)

Hello all, have some newbie ramblings/questions, thank you in advance for any insight. We've been fulltime now for 6 months, in our 6 month old Champagne parked in one spot and haven't moved it since the day we got it.

- Still have yet to refill any LP gas! We don't shower everyday, but still c'mon....it's been 6 months and my primary indicator is green. Issue?

- On that note, been getting wild fluctuations on water temperature last month or so. Think scalding hot then ice the next minute. Alas, no error codes though. Issue?

- Front two hydraulic jacks have been very slowly inching their way south (few inches in 6 months), my guess is due to washer/dryer vibrations every weekend. Pressed 'auto-level' for the first time and front jacks automatically raised back up the few inches they originally were. Any concern here?

- Been keeping A/C on auto 82 during the day and lowering to 78 at night. Any issues with Dometic units running this much? Concerned they're built for camping a few times a year and not fulltime living.

- Anyone have a trick for the convection oven outer vent? We cook at home almost everyday and have to go outside and manually open it, then remember to manually shut it outside after cooking. Was told to not leave open 24/7 as bugs will come in.

- Is it more beneficial or harmful to keep the unit under a roof/carport-like structure permanently? We have never been able to use our solar panels, but we also don't bake all day in the direct sunlight. Thoughts?

That said, it's been a great unit and we are happy with it. If anyone has any Champagne specific questions, PM me and I'll try to help you out with my 6 month knowledge. Otherwise, I look forward to suggestions/input/comments (especially if you already own a Champagne)
Old 07-10-2017, 11:17 PM   #2

We own a Champagne, we are also new at this and have been full time for 5 months. We love ours. We had to zero out our lippert jacks because they were not level from the factory. However after that and a front tripod it has stayed level for 3 months with my wife using the washer and dry daily. The green in my propane is always green in fact I was in a nice warm shower today and it went ice cold.. checked the propane, solid green but the tank was empty. My wife cooks daily with the convection oven and we don't have to go out and open or close anything? Ours is going in the 20th for a new roof (hail damage) so I'll have them check out a few things. We had to learn a few things a good walk thru should have covered.
Hards46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 06:36 AM   #3

After 6 months, I'd suspect one or both of your tanks is empty. Last winter we went 2 months on one tank.
I called CC about releveling and they said to always bring the slides in. Several on this forum have done out the way you did with no issues. Use your own judgement.
No concerns with the a/c.... but you might want to look for black streaks on your roof occasionally. Indicates an oil leak from the unit. Dometic has a history of those things.
Oven vent on ours opens when we use it and closes when it is not being used. Just a flapper thing. Very loose. Something binding on yours maybe?
Old 07-11-2017, 07:27 AM   #4

I had the hot water heater changed out to a 12 gal Suburban gas and electric. Always have lots of not water now, no more cold showers. I just leave it on electric, have not used gas at all.
corn flakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 08:42 AM   #5

2017 38el

We've had ours for almost a year. Spent about 7 weeks total in it. Love it!
We haven't had any issues with respect to re-leveling. We did find the system was a qt low on fluid. No problems since.
I added the digital control for the Suburban On Demand Water Heater. Works great. Keep it set @ 120. It is temperamental with respect to flow. Once it's set to desired temp at shower, it usually holds the temp.
We did go through one tank of Propane last may. The gauge did turn red and switched to the other tank. We added the AP remote level sensor system. Uses a App on our phone to wireless check level. We'll see how it works. Too early to tell.
I see you're able to use the tri-pod. No problem setting up under the trailair pinbox?
The AC is quirky. The Bedroom remote sensor is off by about 6 degrees. I usually keep the AC Fans on during hot days, keeps trailer in low 70s with outside air temp 90-95. (2 AC Units)
karpcbk15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 09:35 AM   #6

I'm assuming the digital controls for the hot water and level system is for the 2017? I'm not sure it's set up for my 2016? I got the tripod not to keep it level but to decrease movement caused by the washer and dryer, it really helped. I understand everyone has an opinion on them however it really decreased movement
Hards46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 10:58 AM   #7
wls

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn flakes View Post
I had the hot water heater changed out to a 12 gal Suburban gas and electric. Always have lots of not water now, no more cold showers. I just leave it on electric, have not used gas at all.
did your dealer do this. I have the on demand, no problems yet. I would like to use the campgrounds electricity though.
2008 Dodge 3500 Dually, Cummins. Amsoil Bypass Oil Filter, 36 Gal aux fuel tank. Mag Hytec Trans pan. Mag Hytec Diff Pan. 6 speed autostick. 3:73, Timbrens, Smarty JR. Equipped.
2016 Cedar Creek 38FB2, Hydra Star disc brakes,
400 watt Rich solar on top,200 watts of suitcase
wls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 03:34 PM   #8

In my previous 5ther I had replaced it at my expense but when I purchased the Champagne I told them I wanted the heater replaced and my dealer talked me out of it but I told him if I were not pleased with it he had to replace it and sure enough I was disatiisfied with it and they changed it out at no cost to me.
corn flakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 05:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRnKT View Post
Hello all, have some newbie ramblings/questions, thank you in advance for any insight. We've been fulltime now for 6 months, in our 6 month old Champagne parked in one spot and haven't moved it since the day we got it.

- Still have yet to refill any LP gas! We don't shower everyday, but still c'mon....it's been 6 months and my primary indicator is green. Issue?
i assume you are connected to shore power. Hot water heated by 120vac. Only gas is stove as fridge is also operating on 120vac.

- On that note, been getting wild fluctuations on water temperature last month or so. Think scalding hot then ice the next minute. Alas, no error codes though. Issue? Anyone washing dishes or using water while you are in the shower? Water regulation not very good in RV's.

- Front two hydraulic jacks have been very slowly inching their way south (few inches in 6 months), my guess is due to washer/dryer vibrations every weekend. Pressed 'auto-level' for the first time and front jacks automatically raised back up the few inches they originally were. Any concern here? Probably normal,but no experience here

- Been keeping A/C on auto 82 during the day and lowering to 78 at night. Any issues with Dometic units running this much? Concerned they're built for camping a few times a year and not fulltime living.Use it!

- Anyone have a trick for the convection oven outer vent? We cook at home almost everyday and have to go outside and manually open it, then remember to manually shut it outside after cooking. Was told to not leave open 24/7 as bugs will come in. i opened ours day one and never close it. We traveled over 13000 miles no issues. Where are the critters going to go? Flaps closed when not in use. Open it and forget it.

- Is it more beneficial or harmful to keep the unit under a roof/carport-like structure permanently? We have never been able to use our solar panels, but we also don't bake all day in the direct sunlight. Thoughts? Always better to keep covered if possible.

That said, it's been a great unit and we are happy with it. If anyone has any Champagne specific questions, PM me and I'll try to help you out with my 6 month knowledge. Otherwise, I look forward to suggestions/input/comments (especially if you already own a Champagne)
Enjoy your RV...

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is online now   Reply With Quote