Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2019, 09:38 AM   #1

A so far trip report.

So I’m on the way to the Keys and have stopped at Lazydays in Tampa. Drive from Delaware Ohio was very good I my hit one major traffic jam north of Atlanta.

Truck is getting 11 mpg towing in 5th at 65-68 mph on cruise control. It would run 80 if I’d let it. I run 6th locked out.

West lake tires are running 125 psi and right at 100 degrees F since I hit Florida.

That seems good.

Truck rears are right on 92 psi and 82 on the front towing.

I have some condensation or some weird leak right above my dinette. Happened twice and I don’t see anything on the top of the slide.

Had one problem on the jacks you can see on the other thread, seems to be good now.

B&W hitch keeps knocking off the device that keeps the nose pointed up. I’m gonna call them.

Anderson jack blocs are freakin awesome.

Truck tows this trailer excellent. I think 14500 is right in the sweet spot.

The trailer is ugly dirty. When I get to the Keys I’m gonna pony up and have it washed.

Impressed by the exhaust brake and tranny. I just barely put my foot on the brake and the truck downshifts and exhaust brake goes to max stopping the truck very well.

None of the hills have even been a challenge.

Good news so far. BTW the truckers have been very good to me on the way down and me to them.
MikeRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 10:26 AM   #2

Mike,

Sounds like you're doing well. We've been to Lazy Days a few times before and enjoyed it. Where are you staying in the Keys. We will be going there when we leave MI for the winter on the way to Tucson. (We’ve come to learn that “a straight line between 2 points” has little meaning for us.)

Please explain the 6th gear lock out choice. Is this while in Tow/Haul mode? or instead of it?? Remind me what rear end ratio you're running. Do you keep the exhaust break on all the time or just when towing? How fast are you burning thru DEF?

Sorry for so many questions. I just found out that my new ram is on a rail car somewhere between the US border and Chicago. (they won't tell me where!) I'm just trying to get mentally prepared.

Travel safe.
SimchaSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 10:36 AM   #3

Glad you are having a good trip, so far and hope it continues for you. I'm also wondering about locking out 6th gear. What camper and truck do you have?

BTW, Atlanta's middle name is traffic jam!

Most truckers are awesome and very careful drivers. Only thing is...many are climbing on the internet band wagon. If you see one weaving, be careful.

2012 Cedar Creek 36CKTS Touring Edition
2015 Ford F-350 CC DRW Lariat
Joe_GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 02:40 PM   #4

Yes, they get dirty.

You and the DW cleaning them is a job.

Keep having fun.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 06:07 PM   #5

A so far trip report.

Well I have a Ram CC SB HO. So I have the Aisin w the 3.41 rear end. Dealer recommended to not use 6 th gear. So I manually set the max to fifth gear with the toggle switch on the column shifter. The tranny shifts a lot less. I’m still only running around 1600 rpm at 67. I’m burning DEF faster than I ever have. I had to go fill the tank today. Basically started w a little over 3/4 a tank and got down to the 1/4 left. That surprised me. I run the exhaust brake and tow haul switch all the time.

Got the truck cleaned up today, 30 bucks later it looks good.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3285.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	457.9 KB
ID:	202839

I could easily run 6th on flat ground so I may try some of that going back.

Tranny temp stayed around 161 F, which is very good.

Btw the ati 46 gallon tank - glad I did that!

Been keeping 30 - 35 gallons in it. Fueling up without the Creek is good.

So I have three things left to buy maybe 4: generator, pin box, air bags, new toilet seat to replace the cheap plastic one, safe for the Coach, upgraded rear camera, upgraded cargo cam for the Ram if available, mods to the storage for easier access, new camp chairs, longer blue hose for washing stuff down.

Well that’s more than 4 lol.
Old 04-25-2019, 06:47 PM   #6

With our Ram diesel we use tow/haul. Limits the transmission to fifth gear.

Amazing how it runs. The downhill automatic compression braking is so easy on cruise. No effort, just stear. 11 mpg towing.

Went on a trip last week. Amazed the truck gets over 21 mpg driving 75-80.

DEF use for us is a gallon per 2000 miles. Towing it use a gallon about every 200 miles. #14,000 fifth wheel.

The economy is surprising.

If ever we drove 65 mpg it likely gets 25 mpg.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 10:05 AM   #7

Well I have some not good news to report. At some time in the last two days. I creased my Cab. Can’t find any damage on the Creek. Right above the back window 1/2 in deep. I might have done it in the WalMart from Hades yesterday south of Naples. It had parking dividers all the way to the rear of the parking lot. I had a heck of a time getting in and out of it. I pretty upset w myself. Ridiculous. I’m in Key Largo now at this little Keys Palm campground very nice but pricey.

Good thing the crease isn’t very bad.

Dang.......
Old 04-27-2019, 12:06 PM   #8

Yes the truck handled beautifully so far the camper has held up and frick now I gotta tell the DW.

The TH on my truck does not limit the tranny to fifth. I have to put it there but it’s no doubt the best place to tow.
Old 04-27-2019, 12:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRP View Post

Got the truck cleaned up today, 30 bucks later it looks good.Attachment 202839
Mike,
You made me feel so guilty about how dirty my truck was I went out today and got it all cleaned up, ya, 30 Bucks later. Damn.
2020 Cedar Creek Hathaway 34IK, Reese 19K Sidewinder PB.
Daycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 08:58 PM   #10

Well I got some not so good news. A camper that just arrived at the resort got out of their truck and left it in gear or neutral and it rolled down the hill and crashed into the driver side slide completely cocking the slide. I was asleep in the reclining chain and my DW was at the pool. Got a local repairman to come and get the slide freed up and we got it mostly back out. Got a sheriffs report and the resort has it on tape happening. Luckily my wife wasn’t at the bar making me a sandwiches or she would have been injured and also luckily the person who left the truck and Im glad didn’t run fast enough to get in front of it. Which they were going to try.

But this has ruined my first big trip and maybe a lot more for the summer. The slide will need completely removed and fixed and the wall has separated from the pantry and the shower.

So there is a .5 gap there now.

Outside it looks fine. But I imagine the support structure in bent or has failed.

Insurance has been called and reported on line but I’m sick at my stomach. I had put a lot of work into this camper and to have that happen it is very sad. I don’t know if it can be repaired properly.

The truck missed my truck by 6 inches. Right now I hope it’s totaled and I can get a new one, Shame.
Old 04-27-2019, 09:42 PM   #11

What a bummer. Glad you both are ok. Not to add to your list of worries, but was wondering about shear stress on the leveler pistons.

BTW where expecting snow tonight so if possible, you should try to enjoy being where you are while waiting for your fixable problems to get fixed. Hope everything works out with as little complications as possible.
SimchaSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 10:17 PM   #12

Quote:
A camper that just arrived at the resort got out of their truck and left it in gear or neutral and it rolled down the hill and crashed into the driver side slide completely cocking the slide. I was asleep in the reclining chain and my DW was at the pool.
The truck missed my truck by 6 inches. Right now I hope it’s totaled and I can get a new one, Shame.
Glad to hear you're ok. It certainly could have been a lot worse and you could have been injured.
At least your truck was spared. I'm with you.... hope the rv is totaled and you can get a new one.
Old 04-28-2019, 04:51 AM   #13

Yes I’m worried also, I really don’t know how the Creek stayed on the Anderson jack blocks. It painted the small blocks up front. Since I was very close to the patio of the campground - I think the edge kept it from moving farther. Tires were right up against it.

It will be hard to figure out the best way to deal with this.
Old 04-28-2019, 06:59 AM   #14

I can't even believe what I just read Mike, that's just nuts, how much of an idiot does it take to leave their vehicle in gear or Neutral and walk away from it. Its great that nobody was hurt in this incident but I'd be fit to be tied up. I would demand that the Creek be transported back to Indiana at the Ins Co expense to be examined by the factory folks. The slide and walls can be replaced but I'd be afraid the frame got tweaked which will take probably LCI to examine to determine if its ok or not. Since you will have an Insurance company try to diminish your claim you may want to engage legal council to address them. My two cents.
2020 Cedar Creek Hathaway 34IK, Reese 19K Sidewinder PB.
Daycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 07:58 AM   #15

I would want Orvan Fry to look at the camper (Amish Family RV) in Topeka IN. Bye the way what year is your camper? I’m glad no one was hurt. The camper would go back to Topeka IN, I would take the camper back myself, just keep up with all the bills. There is no way I would let anyone but Orvan Fry fix the Creek if the camper can be fixed.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 09:06 AM   #16

Yep I agree w you both, I’m gonna call Orvan Monday and see if he will take the camper. My camper is a 19.5.

Me looking at it this morning. It’s hard to tell where the damage will extend to. I won’t be able to tell if the frame is twisted. I think the hydraulics jacks will need replaced, the full slide underneath parts and probably the slide itself and also it could very well be that the side wall will need removed.

I found a long irregular like a crumple of the subfloor Congoleum in the bathroom in front of the sink next to the door. I know it wasn’t there before. So I think it has some major issues.

If that happens well it will be a shame.

I’m also gonna be telling them I need a rental for the summer.
Old 04-28-2019, 09:07 AM   #17

I will call my lawyer Monday.
Old 04-28-2019, 09:54 AM   #18

Very sad Mike, hope you make out OK.
Best of luck....
kinzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 12:31 PM   #19

Quote:
I will call my lawyer Monday.

Please keep us posted
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 01:05 PM   #20
Citrus County, Fl.

This such sad news. Worst thing is you are far away from home. I had a bad experience with the car I was towing when we were returning home from the International Rally a couple of years ago so I know how you feel. Glad your wife was not inside making you a sandwich.

The good news is I imagine the small crease in your truck hasn't even been thought about.
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote