Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2015, 10:17 AM   #21

About the trailair pin box again

I use a simple 12v air compressor that can do 100 psi. It's a pain to run the power cord to the truck but it's small and easy to store when finished. I always hitch first then find a flat patch of road then adjust the air level to meet up with the arrows. One can also air up first and then adjust the air down when hitched so both ways provide the same end result.

What I found interesting if you want to get a back to back comparison of towing with the Trailair or not just remove all of the air from the bag and the pin will act like a regular non air box.
SKGCRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 11:34 AM   #22

Level of trailer

Thank you very much for your reply SKGCRD,
Here comes another question,
Upon pickup at the dealer with the KingAir pin box installed on my new 3250 Sanibel, towing it with a one ton GMC dually, the trailer was level, but the airbag was not fully inflated to the markers
Ones I inflated the airbag to the markers, my trailer sits 7" high in front compared to the end of the trailer. Lots of space to the truck bed, about 7" plus.
I have one more sets of holes to move the pin box up, the hitch is already on the bottom.
Ones I move the KingAir pin box one more set of holes up and the trailer is still not level, would I have to let some air out of the airbag to get the trailer level, or what is the solution.
If anybody out there run into the same problem, please let me know the solution you came up with.
One solution would be to raise the trailer, that's one thing I would like to avoid.
Thank you.....
wamafi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 11:55 AM   #23

The hight of 1 ton trucks especially the DRW trucks encounter the hight issues. Without pictures my comments may or may not help. My current and last 5ver did and do sit a little high on my 3500 SRW. My fifth wheel hitch is at the bottom but my pin still has another set of holes for further adjustment. I decided to not move my pin for two reasons. First, the weight of it is problematic for me. Second I took my coach and weighed each rear axel seperatly to see how much additional weight load was being placed on the rear axel due to levelling issue. My rear axel was carrying 800 lbs more then the front and that's ok by me, it just means I rotate the rear tires to the front every year.

As for the adding hight to the trailer that's an option but not needed for me. My coach is 7" from the truck bed rails with 15k total coach weight. It's slightly nose high but it works for me. Each set up will be different but it sounds like you understand the scenario. Another option but expensive could be new tires and rims. I have GY 614 g rated 16" tires so take a look and see if larger tires could help shave an inch off. Good luck
SKGCRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 12:27 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKGCRD View Post
The hight of 1 ton trucks especially the DRW trucks encounter the hight issues. Without pictures my comments may or may not help. My current and last 5ver did and do sit a little high on my 3500 SRW. My fifth wheel hitch is at the bottom but my pin still has another set of holes for further adjustment. I decided to not move my pin for two reasons. First, the weight of it is problematic for me. Second I took my coach and weighed each rear axel seperatly to see how much additional weight load was being placed on the rear axel due to levelling issue. My rear axel was carrying 800 lbs more then the front and that's ok by me, it just means I rotate the rear tires to the front every year.

As for the adding hight to the trailer that's an option but not needed for me. My coach is 7" from the truck bed rails with 15k total coach weight. It's slightly nose high but it works for me. Each set up will be different but it sounds like you understand the scenario. Another option but expensive could be new tires and rims. I have GY 614 g rated 16" tires so take a look and see if larger tires could help shave an inch off. Good luck
The King Pin is very heavy, one would need a Fork lift or a Front end loader to bring it up one set of holes.
Since the dealer installed the pin box, but under inflated the airbag, he can do it.
Ones this is done and the trailer still is high in the front, what about drive with KingAir under inflated ?
When we original drove the trailer home (450km from here) it seems to drive OK to me. I did not find any difference driving fully or not fully inflated.
I had one blowout (expensive repair) on my old fifth wheel and the extra load on the back set of tires would worry me.
Let's see what it looks like ones the pin box is moved up and see what is the next step if needed
Thanks again...
wamafi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 01:04 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamafi43 View Post
The King Pin is very heavy, one would need a Fork lift or a Front end loader to bring it up one set of holes.
Since the dealer installed the pin box, but under inflated the airbag, he can do it.
Ones this is done and the trailer still is high in the front, what about drive with KingAir under inflated ?
When we original drove the trailer home (450km from here) it seems to drive OK to me. I did not find any difference driving fully or not fully inflated.
I had one blowout (expensive repair) on my old fifth wheel and the extra load on the back set of tires would worry me.
Let's see what it looks like ones the pin box is moved up and see what is the next step if needed
Thanks again...

I do not think it is that heavy since my son and I installed a TrailAir king pin box on my last 5er. The king pin box is a two part assembly that you bolt on the adapter plates and than the actual king pin is assembled to the adapter plates. Not very difficult at all took us about 1/2 to 3/4 of an hour to assemble it.