Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2022, 06:52 PM   #1

Air conditioner run times

Hello all!

Our a/c is working fine but it cycles on and off a lot. The thermostat in the Vega control panel is set to 74. The a/c shuts off when it reaches 74 and runs again when the temperature rises to 75.

In our previous trailer the a/c would shut off at 73 so the a/c ran a little longer but was also off for longer. Is there a way to set these panels so when I set it to 74 the a/c runs to 73 and comes back on when it goes to 75?

Thanks!
Todd
Old 07-31-2022, 07:25 PM   #2

I seriously doubt it as most RV thermostats are not that accurate. The only chance that I am aware of if you replaced the RVs with a nigher end home type thermostat.
Maybe.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 08:34 PM   #3

What make/model is the control panel? My simple furnace digital thermostat his a setting where I can adjust the range. Factory is +/- 1 degree like yours is, which caused the furnace to cycle too quickly. I adjusted it to +1/-2 degrees. If it is set for 70, the furnace comes on at 68 and turns off at 71 which gives me a more acceptable cycle time.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 12:42 PM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
What make/model is the control panel? My simple furnace digital thermostat his a setting where I can adjust the range. Factory is +/- 1 degree like yours is, which caused the furnace to cycle too quickly. I adjusted it to +1/-2 degrees. If it is set for 70, the furnace comes on at 68 and turns off at 71 which gives me a more acceptable cycle time.
I think the Cedar Creek models are currently using the touch screen Firefly control interface. The thermostat controls are an internal part of Firefly. I'm not sure if there are any deadband settings within that module but again, I'm not sure???

Days Camped: '17=38 '18=49 '19=58 '20=110 '21=116 '22=95
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 04:43 PM   #5

Yes, it is the Firefly integrated system and I don't see a place to make a change to anything. We are currently in ST. Louis where the temps are pushing 100 so there is little shut of time now!

I have attached a picture of the HVAC screen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	firefly hvac screen.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	386.2 KB
ID:	277307  
Old 08-03-2022, 08:20 PM   #6

The Firefly is hard coded for the temp settings. Turn the ceiling fan on in the main compartment pushing the air down . That will help circulate the cold air back up. Opposite with heat in the winter time.

At 100 degrees and no shade your AC is going to run all the time.

Also note that I doubt your AC is made to give you a 26 degree temperature difference. (100-74) I suspect it is more like 20 degrees. When we got rid of the old Freon we also got rid of very efficient AC systems.
NJBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 06:42 AM   #7

I don’t have a CC, so I don’t know if this will work for you, but I close some of the vents nearest the thermostat when I want our AC to stay on longer without changing the temp on the thermostat itself.
avid108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 07:09 AM   #8

I think the issue was the outside temps and the differential. I have been checking early in the morning and the a/c does shut off 1 degree below its set point and back on 1 degree above set point.

Unfortunately our vents don't close in the living space. They only close in the bathroom and bedroom. This will be another topic!

Thanks for your replies!
Old 08-04-2022, 01:17 PM   #9
New here, old elsewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBreeze View Post
The Firefly is hard coded for the temp settings. Turn the ceiling fan on in the main compartment pushing the air down . That will help circulate the cold air back up. Opposite with heat in the winter time.

At 100 degrees and no shade your AC is going to run all the time.

Also note that I doubt your AC is made to give you a 26 degree temperature difference. (100-74) I suspect it is more like 20 degrees. When we got rid of the old Freon we also got rid of very efficient AC systems.

If the air inside were 100 I'd agree with you. However the air inside gets cool enough to satisfy the thermostat, should be around 74 / 75. So circulating 75 degree air through the unit will allow it to maintain that temp. We have been having temps close to 100 every day here for 6 weeks, my inside temp remains around 75 and I'm parked in the full Florida sun with one A/C unit.
Old 08-10-2022, 11:49 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comoco View Post
Hello all!

Our a/c is working fine but it cycles on and off a lot. The thermostat in the Vega control panel is set to 74. The a/c shuts off when it reaches 74 and runs again when the temperature rises to 75.

In our previous trailer the a/c would shut off at 73 so the a/c ran a little longer but was also off for longer. Is there a way to set these panels so when I set it to 74 the a/c runs to 73 and comes back on when it goes to 75?

Thanks!
Todd
How many A/C unit's do you have 2 or 3 on your trailer? Can you run the fans on low/med/high on your A/C instead of auto?

I have a 2016 CC 34RL with two A/C units, what we do depending on the time of day/night is as follows.

I run both A/C's during the day setting the bedroom to 70/72 and run the front A/C fan on med speed. The rear unit is set to 72F, and this fan is run on low speed. So, you do not notice the A/C cycling like you are complaining about. At night the front unit is turned off with no fan running. We set the rear unit either to 71F/72F, with the fan on med to low depending on nighttime ambient temps.

Our trailer stays comfortable, and the temps usually go no higher than 74Fin the trailer when the sun is beating on the trailer.

Also, we use a sunshade attached to the awning to help keep the sun off of the trailer in the afternoon. Awning side faces south in the afternoon where the trailer is parked.

Just a suggestion to help keep you sane!
Old 08-10-2022, 12:34 PM   #11

Just put the fan in manual mode so it runs all the time.
Old 08-11-2022, 06:17 AM   #12

We have 2 a/c's and they are in auto mode. Home now from our trip but may try running on low speed next time out.

However, I always thought running on low or high speed instead of auto could lead to the a/c freezing up?
Old 08-11-2022, 07:33 AM   #13

Quote:
We have 2 a/c's and they are in auto mode. Home now from our trip but may try running on low speed next time out.

However, I always thought running on low or high speed instead of auto could lead to the a/c freezing up?

I’ve never had our freeze, but never had to deal with this type of heat wave.
I do know the compressor will cycle based on temperature but the fan will continue to run.
I also get annoyed with the the on and off cycling when in auto.
Another trick I just learned was to try to prevent the air from blowing on or near the thermostat / sensor by putting a small box or cardboard around it.
I will try this next time I’m out.
Old 08-11-2022, 09:29 AM   #14

Quote:

Your trailer is designed to have this option that other trailers may not allow; the running of the A/C fan continuous. My old Cougar would freeze up the A/C too. But the system was not designed with a ducted air flow, it had the standard water fall design that most A/C systems have in an RV.

I don't have the new Firefly controller that you have. But on my thermostat controller you can scroll through the fan options and just run the fan only to move air through the ducted system. When I set up the A/C to operate the fan allows you to change from AUTO to low, medium and high speed. I have found that this allows you to cool down the trailer faster by moving more air faster when needed.
Old 08-11-2022, 10:08 AM   #15

Quote:

Actually it's quite the opposite. Keeping the fan on continually helps prevent freezing up.

This is because it prevents a bunch of moist air from collecting on the condensor and sitting there to freeze. It also helps because if it did already start to freeze a bit the air movement over it helps draw away the cold and allows it to thaw much quicker than without the fan running.
Old 08-12-2022, 12:34 PM   #16

Thanks for the info on running the fans on low or high speed (these are my only options besides auto). Previous trailers did not have ducted a/c so maybe that is why I was thinking of the freeze up.

I will try running on low or high next time out!
Old 08-15-2022, 06:58 PM   #17

Make sure your ceiling vents are not pointed in the direction of the thermostat. This will cause short cycling.
Old 08-15-2022, 07:53 PM   #18
Norwood Auto Italia

Firefly sets the temperature variables within a band specific to the AC, the thermostat and the trailer/RV OEM. But once set, they would have to issue a new Firmware version to change this.

To get a change made, a group of owners will have to petition the OEM to get it changed.
vlamgat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 11:59 AM   #19

AC in RV or at home should always run a minimum of 5 minutes and stay off for a minimum of 5 minutes (former HVAC guy). this protects the compressor from dying on you. Most (if not all) thermostats have this built into their sequence of operation these days.
AT1961 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air conditioner