Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2019, 09:20 AM   #21

Ah. Sounds like a dream come true. Take it easy and start slowing down now. At 71 it is unknown how much longer I will feel like towing 32 feet of trailer behind us and shorter isn't an option just now. Widowed daughter and 10 year old son who travel with us whenever possible. The 11 years since freedom 60 sure have seen some great trips and rallies though. Have fun and many happy campfires to all three of you. Old Guys (Brian and Joanne)

Old 08-04-2019, 09:34 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daycruiser View Post
Well, because it's a couple of days to get there, not going to drive that in one day. However many days there and a couple days back again, so assume 5 days off from work plus fuel, that's pushing $3K for me on top of what he charges me. Does that clear it up for you? Pretty expensive repairs don't ya think? If I was retired like many here that would be a whole different story, sadly I'm not.
Since you have a New Cedar Creek, I assure you if you took it to the Amish Family RV Service center he would find lots of issues that you are unaware of and be able to fix it all in one day without cost to you. However you can take it to Camping World and leave it for months and it still not be repaired to your satisfaction.
Amateur Radio W5CI 2019 Days Camping 25
2020 Days Camping 7
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 09:43 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by W5CI View Post
Since you have a New Cedar Creek, I assure you if you took it to the Amish Family RV Service center he would find lots of issues that you are unaware of and be able to fix it all in one day without cost to you. However you can take it to Camping World and leave it for months and it still not be repaired to your satisfaction.

I had my creek inspected at delivery to the dealer by a Level II RV inspector top to bottom, everything he found wrong was taken care of by the dealer before I ever saw the unit for the first time. As far CW goes, their service department will never lay eyes on me.
2020 Cedar Creek Hathaway 34IK, Reese 19K Sidewinder PB.
Daycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 01:34 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daycruiser View Post
If you're from far away what do you do while your Creek is in Orvin's shop? There is some things I'd like Orvin to do but I don't want to be running back and forth from NC to IN, nor do I want to stay holed up in a hotel for several days.
I understand your situation, but if you decide to make the trip, you should know that Orvan in located in the middle of a huge Amish area of Indiana which is also ground zero for much of the US RV industry. Between factory tours and visited many Amish POIs, you could easily spend a week here and not get bored.
SimchaSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 08:47 PM   #25

AS I previously stated, we took our Brand NEW rig straight from the dealer to Orvan. He ended up billing the factory $1000 and it could have been more, but he opted not to.

Our trip to him was about 620 miles, which we took a one night stopover and then spent 1 night in a local hotel.

He's worth it.
USN 76-82
Retired Dept of Navy: Navy/USMC Flt Test Engineer
Splashes3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 09:54 PM   #26
AlmostretiredTom

I had my first experience with Orvan last December. He said mine was the last unit he worked on in 2018. I have been bragging ever since about the best service experience ever (on anything). He found issues that weren’t even on my list when I arrived but they would have cost me plenty later on if not noticed. I am headed to the FROG rally in Goshen this weekend and hoping to run into him again and shake his hand.
tomaziegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 04:58 PM   #27
jkoenig24

Thanks for the link to Amish Family RV..........

Oh wait, there was NO link, OR phone number, Or even the state where they're located (never mind the city).......

Never mind.
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 05:43 PM   #28

You have to remember that this is a small Amish family owned business. Orvan has a well equipped shop, able to hold three RV's at a time as I recall. It is located out in the country, but not far off the highway from Shipshewana.

The address is 11681 N 600 w-57, Topeka, IN 46571. The phone number is (260) 593-0951. You call and leave a message, and someone, (probably Orvan's daughter) will call you back. She can also communicate with you via e-mail or text.

This is not your typical RV repair center, but then neither is their depth of knowledge, honesty or service!
Old 08-10-2019, 07:11 PM   #29

Wow, wouldn't it be nice to see the RV service industry come around to be even close to these guys. My dealer first scheduled me over the phone for three weeks out. When I arrived, they gave me a promise date two more weeks out. Then they called me the day before the promise date to tell me it needed a new A/C fan motor and that it will take two weeks to get the part (I can get it from Amazon in two days). So it's taking them a month to replace an A/C fan motor. Perhaps the problem is it's under warranty.
HunsbergerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 10:55 PM   #30
jkoenig24

Old Bleu, Thank you for posting their address and contact information.
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 08:25 PM   #31

Approx time to get an appointment

we purchased our 31IK at the beginning of April and after reading everyones comments I believe we nee to take it to Amish RV before the warranty ends. we have had very few problems but the for latch is driving us crazy and it seems like Amish RV would likely have a solution!
Im just wondering for scheduling time off work etc approx how far ahead did you have to make your appointments? 3 months, 6 months...2 weeks?
thank you in advance!
Capnet64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 10:07 PM   #32

After talking to Orvan a few times, my sense is he's pretty flexible. I'd call him and let him know what your thinking. We were able to schedule our 34IK for right after the Goshen Rally with only a couple of weeks notice. But it helped, when I told him, we'd be able to leave it for a few weeks as we are only 3 hrs away. If you do schedule a time in the future, make sure you talked to Jolisa Fry (his daughter?). He tends to over commit if he schedules it himself.

Also be aware that his phone number is share by 2 other family members and his dial up internet account.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capnet64 View Post
we purchased our 31IK at the beginning of April and after reading everyones comments I believe we nee to take it to Amish RV before the warranty ends. we have had very few problems but the for latch is driving us crazy and it seems like Amish RV would likely have a solution!
Im just wondering for scheduling time off work etc approx how far ahead did you have to make your appointments? 3 months, 6 months...2 weeks?
thank you in advance!
Old 08-14-2019, 02:57 PM   #33

Gee it only took 3 1/2 pages for someone to finally say just where this cedar creek repair facility was located. I hate having to be a mind reader on these damn threads.
Jim & peg. Jake the camper dog. RIP my friend. 01-11-2010 / 02-26-2020. 2018 flagstaff 8528ikws fifth wheel pushing 2014 f-150 eco-boost super crew. 2017 camped 14 weeks. 2018 4 months in texas. 2019 4 months in texas. 2019 21 days in michigan. 2019 2 months in arizona. 2020 4 months in arizona. U.S. Air Force Retired. 100% DAV
wanderer26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 03:13 PM   #34
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer26 View Post
Gee it only took 3 1/2 pages for someone to finally say just where this cedar creek repair facility was located. I hate having to be a mind reader on these damn threads.
Apparently you didn't read all the posts.

Post 24 stated:
"Orvan in located in the middle of a huge Amish area of Indiana"

Post 28 gave complete address and phone number:
"The address is 11681 N 600 w-57, Topeka, IN 46571. The phone number is (260) 593-0951."

So you didn't need to be a mind reader.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 08:10 PM   #35
Stupid Lucky

Appreciate all the posts from those of you that have used Amish Family RV. Heard of them from another 34ik owner and have ours scheduled for service in September. As they are only 2.5 hours from us we are dropping it off and picking it up at a later date. Do plan on spending 2-3 nights in the area exploring the area on out drop off trip. After reading this string of posts I can say that this is the first time I am excited about talking any rv we have owned in for service. Thanks all!
Sandbagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 06:52 AM   #36

Dropped mine off at Orvan's yesterday after the Rally. Gave him a laundry list of changes to make and he made his own list of corrections that needed to be made. It will be there about 4 weeks, the 13hour drive home wasn't too bad.

FR CC needs to be kissing Orvan's backside, he's keeping them in business by catching and fixing all their stupid design and workmanship defects.
Old 08-17-2019, 08:22 AM   #37

Since I am in South Florida, it's unlikely that I will ever make it to Orvans shop.

Does anyone have a list of the items he knows that need to be addressed prior to them developing into problems? We have a 2019 33IK but suspect that similar models issues may apply.

Thanks,
Jim
Old 08-17-2019, 08:58 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in Florida View Post
Since I am in South Florida, it's unlikely that I will ever make it to Orvans shop.

Does anyone have a list of the items he knows that need to be addressed prior to them developing into problems? We have a 2019 33IK but suspect that similar models issues may apply.

Thanks,
Jim

Hard to repeat a list but the big one for me was correcting the I Beam twist issue that will and does occur. He has a certified welder come in and put in braces for the I Beams. He goes over every inch of your Creek and he knows what to look for since he knows their defects or the poor way they do things. All three of my slides are out of alignment and the seals were installed wrong. Nobody noticed except him. The primary reason it's at his shop was my roof tore off on the first trip with it. CC installed the roof in a dumb way that created more problems that it solved so he's redoing the roof with a superior membrane and installing it the proper way. Orvan knows the Creeks so well he can just look at it and tell you what is going to be a problem. I'm having him add/replace some things as long as it's going to be with him for a month or so, save me the time of doing it myself and he knows the best way to do it and has the resources.
Old 08-17-2019, 10:13 AM   #39

Jim in Florida, the one thing that Orvan recommended that sticks in my mind is to go over all of the seams on the outside of the trailer and reseal them. The idea is to keep the water from seeping in a rotting your floors. I paid extra to have him do this for us, and he also gave me new tubes of Dicor for the roof and clear sealant for the seams in the wall for future maintenance. He also gave me a dozen or so self tapping srcews and recommended adding them to the skirt where it attaches to the frame. I did that after we got home.

We also had him add two struts to the door of the front storage compartment, replace the faucet in the bathroom sink with a taller one and install the new power converter, both that I bought and brought with me.

As I said in another thread, I believe that Orvan is the Quality Control department for Cedar Creek!
Old 08-17-2019, 10:24 AM   #40

Orvan just left our site at the Rally. After we went over our list of 17 small warranty items that we found, he added about 2 more pages of things he saw, including a leaky shower. I will share the list when I get my copy.