Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2019, 11:24 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in Florida View Post
Since I am in South Florida, it's unlikely that I will ever make it to Orvans shop.

Does anyone have a list of the items he knows that need to be addressed prior to them developing into problems? We have a 2019 33IK but suspect that similar models issues may apply.

Thanks,
Jim
I have a 2016 33IK... he had to replace the floor in our bedroom and this was back in April of 2018. Keep an eye on the seam along the bottom edge strip on BR slide. It is easy to overlook as it is over your head unless you get a ladder to inspect.

Also, the cathedral ceilings cause water to run down the sides of your slides. It then will wick around the bottom to the flooring. He modified all my slides in that area on the edges by adding a piece of some type of, I canít think of the word for it so I will for now just say a hard plastic. This was about 6Ē wide and went the width of the slide and went under the trim on the side. I donít have my RV here but next time I will take a pic. Iím sure others had this same mod and may share a pic to maybe the factory does that now?

He caulked up an area between the entry side slide and the inside of the unit that would allow water to fling up into on rainy days when towing.

He adjusted all the slides.

The bedroom door was always hard to close or sticking. I thought it was because we were not perfectly level. Actually factory did not use long enough screws in door jam so he put in longer screws and pulled the door up tight so now it closes with ease.

He recommended a TrailAir hitch which I purchased and I love it.

Jim, if time allows and you are still in warranty or even just out make a trip out of it. He will get so much done under warranty. We live in Florida and made a mini vacation out of it. He was done in one day. We went in April because we did not nor do we want to ever winterize our unit..lol.
RadMini Stepthru eBikes

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 05:11 PM   #42
Stupid Lucky

Dropped our 34IK off at Orvan's on Tuesday.

Daycruiser - I'm pretty sure your unit was pulled into the service bay while we were there and roof was off within a half hour. Impressive paint job!

Three things that may not have been mentioned n other posts (did not go back and read all) that he is doing to our palace on wheels are:
1) Removing bike hitch and moving spare wheel closer to the axles to reduce drag risk. Before couldn't back 5th wheel into driveway without building a ramp and looking forward to the extra clearance for our travels.
2) Replacing tankless water heater with gas/electric tank - mistake on our part allowing to come in with the tankless heater.
3) Replumbing grey water tanks so that shower/bathroom sinks are on one 40 gallon tank and kitchen sink is on the other 40 gallon tank. Factory configuration had kitchen sink/shower on one and bathroom sinks/washer on other. We have no plans for washer and this works better for us especially considering most of our camping is without sewer hook-up.
Sandbagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 09:49 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandbagger View Post
Dropped our 34IK off at Orvan's on Tuesday.

Daycruiser - I'm pretty sure your unit was pulled into the service bay while we were there and roof was off within a half hour. Impressive paint job!

Yep that be mine. He called me on Tuesday because I'm also having the TV antenna replaced and moved to another location on the roof. The list he has for mine is long so it will probably be in the bay for a while, going to check with him this week to see where he's at. He has to have a Lippert guy also come by to do the frame modifications and hitch welding. My pick up date is the 27th.
2020 Cedar Creek Hathaway 34IK, Reese 19K Sidewinder PB.
Daycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 06:05 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daycruiser View Post
Yep that be mine. He called me on Tuesday because I'm also having the TV antenna replaced and moved to another location on the roof. The list he has for mine is long so it will probably be in the bay for a while, going to check with him this week to see where he's at. He has to have a Lippert guy also come by to do the frame modifications and hitch welding. My pick up date is the 27th.
We just had ours through Orvan's shop for the second time. We're about 600 miles away but it's well worth the trip to get annual maintenance and repairs. Got a new roof this time. I am confident our 6 year old unit is better than new because of the work Orvan's crew does. Orvan, Jolisa & Carl are the best!
5er - 2013 Cedar Creek 36CKTS Classic Champagne Touring Edition
Stevemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 07:52 AM   #45

We are they wife and I have been thinking about the new Champagne Editions do they sell them too?
wicked1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 07:57 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked1 View Post
We are they wife and I have been thinking about the new Champagne Editions do they sell them too?
No Amish Family RV isn't a dealer, just an independent repair shop. I have seen some "for sale" trailers on their lot but I think they're used ones on consignment.
Old 10-04-2019, 08:23 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevemc View Post
We just had ours through Orvan's shop for the second time. We're about 600 miles away but it's well worth the trip to get annual maintenance and repairs. Got a new roof this time. I am confident our 6 year old unit is better than new because of the work Orvan's crew does. Orvan, Jolisa & Carl are the best!
New roof on a 6 yr old unit? What happened that caused the need for replacement?
birdman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 08:51 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdman77 View Post
New roof on a 6 yr old unit? What happened that caused the need for replacement?
The original Cedar Creek design has a seam on top of the trailer that runs the full length of the trailer on both sides where the rubber roof joins the aluminum radiused corners. We had trouble with leaks along those seams so we decided to replace the roof before we started getting more expensive internal damage. When Orvan's shop replaces it they bring the rubber roof over the radius and eliminate the problem seams.
Old 10-04-2019, 06:33 PM   #49

Quote:
No Amish Family RV isn't a dealer, just an independent repair shop. I have seen some "for sale" trailers on their lot but I think they're used ones on consignment.

Correct, they are used. One Champagne he has/had when I was there belonged to the production manager at Cedar Creek.
Old 10-04-2019, 06:37 PM   #50

Quote:
The original Cedar Creek design has a seam on top of the trailer that runs the full length of the trailer on both sides where the rubber roof joins the aluminum radiused corners. We had trouble with leaks along those seams.

Those Termination Rails were acting as Dams and pooling water along the length of the roof, hence your leak issue. My brand new (garbage) TPO roof was ripped off and the termination rails were moved down below the roof/sidewall radius to eliminate that problem also with the new EPDM roof.
Old 10-05-2019, 08:56 AM   #51

Stevemc, Thanks... makes sense...my 2014 has the rubber that goes over the radius so I guess no worries here...knock on wood of course. Click image for larger version

Name:	20180513_175900.jpeg
Views:	169
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	216637
birdman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 09:30 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdman77 View Post
Stevemc, Thanks... makes sense...my 2014 has the rubber that goes over the radius so I guess no worries here...knock on wood of course. Attachment 216637
Yes I wish ours had been that way to start with. Good luck.
Old 10-06-2019, 04:37 PM   #53
Green Horn

wish i had a warranty to run ours thru his shop. I'm thinking it will be expensive to look and fix ours if needed
kevin211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 07:47 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin211 View Post
wish i had a warranty to run ours thru his shop. I'm thinking it will be expensive to look and fix ours if needed
It is expensive but worth to me. His shop rate is $110 per hour but that is consistent with all the RV shops in our area. The difference is if I take it to a local shop they will tell me 2-3 weeks but often turns into 2-3 months to get our trailer back. Orvan schedules to work on your trailer the day you bring it in and it is incredible the amount of work they get done in a day. We drop ours off at the shop the day before we are scheduled because they start early. We just spend a night or two in a local motel and enjoy the Amish atmosphere while they are getting all the work done. They are very honest and are the ultimate experts on Cedar Creek trailers. We don't want to trade so it is worth it to us to keep ours in the best shape we can. They are very busy so they're usually booked in advance.
Old 10-07-2019, 07:37 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
I have a 2016 33IK... he had to replace the floor in our bedroom and this was back in April of 2018. Keep an eye on the seam along the bottom edge strip on BR slide. It is easy to overlook as it is over your head unless you get a ladder to inspect.

Also, the cathedral ceilings cause water to run down the sides of your slides. It then will wick around the bottom to the flooring. He modified all my slides in that area on the edges by adding a piece of some type of, I canít think of the word for it so I will for now just say a hard plastic. This was about 6Ē wide and went the width of the slide and went under the trim on the side. I donít have my RV here but next time I will take a pic. Iím sure others had this same mod and may share a pic to maybe the factory does that now?

He caulked up an area between the entry side slide and the inside of the unit that would allow water to fling up into on rainy days when towing.

He adjusted all the slides.

The bedroom door was always hard to close or sticking. I thought it was because we were not perfectly level. Actually factory did not use long enough screws in door jam so he put in longer screws and pulled the door up tight so now it closes with ease.

He recommended a TrailAir hitch which I purchased and I love it.

Jim, if time allows and you are still in warranty or even just out make a trip out of it. He will get so much done under warranty. We live in Florida and made a mini vacation out of it. He was done in one day. We went in April because we did not nor do we want to ever winterize our unit..lol.
DALFORD,
Are you able to post any photos of the cathedral ceiling slide fix?
Old 10-10-2019, 10:47 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin211 View Post

While you may expect it to be expensive, his prices are really reasonable. And he won't do work just to do work. I went there last month - estimate over the phone was $4500. Had extra work done, and he didn't have to do as much to fix the original issue I went there for. Final bill was $2500. Very happy with his work and prices.

One thing I had repaired was quoted at 3300-4000 at two other shops, and that was part of the overall bill - and a small part at that.
Old 11-01-2019, 04:40 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomer116ars View Post
Just picked up our 35IK from Amish Family RV and cannot say enough good about the excellent customer service, quick turn around, and that the repairs were all preformed to the highest standard I have ever seen. Orvin and his crew not only repaired all of our warranty items, adjusted and improved fit and finish throughout our fifth wheel, he suggested a couple of modifications that where very useful. We are from Idaho so it is a long way to go for repairs, however since we were on a trip out his way it worked out for us. If I can I will try to schedule a trip out that way in a few years just to have him adjust and look over our fifth wheel.
Amish Family RV is wonderful. Orvan goes over your entire Creek, inside, outside, underside, and roof, and he knows what to look for based on years of experience. In addition to some seal, fit and function and slide alignment repairs under warranty , I took Orvan's advice and had some additional work done to avoid problems in the future. A big one for me was having a Lippert certified welder reinforce the I Beam spring / axle brackets to avoid I beam twist and axle alignment issues that sometimes occur. I also had him install slide gear pack retainers on living and kitching slides to keep them from jumping or breaking gear teeth. I also had him re-plumb shower so that entire bathroom goes into one grey tank and galley goes in the other grey tank. Orvan knows the Creeks so well he can just look at it and tell you what is going to be a problem.
tmims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 08:28 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmims View Post
Amish Family RV is wonderful. Orvan goes over your entire Creek, inside, outside, underside, and roof, and he knows what to look for based on years of experience. In addition to some seal, fit and function and slide alignment repairs under warranty , I took Orvan's advice and had some additional work done to avoid problems in the future. A big one for me was having a Lippert certified welder reinforce the I Beam spring / axle brackets to avoid I beam twist and axle alignment issues that sometimes occur. I also had him install slide gear pack retainers on living and kitching slides to keep them from jumping or breaking gear teeth. I also had him re-plumb shower so that entire bathroom goes into one grey tank and galley goes in the other grey tank. Orvan knows the Creeks so well he can just look at it and tell you what is going to be a problem.
How long did it take to have the work done on your rig?
wayne272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 05:41 PM   #59

Dropped Creek off on Thursday afternoon 24 Oct, it was ready about 2PM Friday 25 Oct. Amazing how much they can do, 4 or 5 guys working on your Creek in 8 hrs. I drove from Georgia about 750 miles, enjoyed Amish country, visited a Uncle in Williamton Illinois, and got my 33IK better than the day I left dealership.
tmims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 08:11 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmims View Post
Dropped Creek off on Thursday afternoon 24 Oct, it was ready about 2PM Friday 25 Oct. Amazing how much they can do, 4 or 5 guys working on your Creek in 8 hrs. I drove from Georgia about 750 miles, enjoyed Amish country, visited a Uncle in Williamton Illinois, and got my 33IK better than the day I left dealership.

Did this work cost you anything or is it warranty since it is a new unit?

Who decided what was being done?
heavynlori is offline   Reply With Quote