Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2022, 10:32 AM   #1
CC21

Amish Family RV

Does anyone know why Amish Family RV no longer does warranty work?

Thanks.
CC21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 06:14 PM   #2
Green Horn

We haven't got a straight answer,just why we think he stopped.

I know a lot of people are not happy, but like i said pay him out of pocket and have it done right, "Pay once,cry once".
kevin211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 06:35 PM   #3
CC21

Thanks. We were just curious about the warranty work.
We certainly still plan to let Orvan service our unit periodically.
Old 01-13-2022, 06:41 PM   #4
Site Team

Some CC owners here said that CC was the one that decided to stop using Orvan for warranty work, not him.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 07:08 PM   #5
CC21

Wow….that would be really disappointing.
Old 01-13-2022, 07:29 PM   #6

Dealer service departments fix what you tell them is wrong. Orvin walks through your coach with you and "finds" the problems and fixes your list plus his. My guess is the factory would prefer a dealer to do warranty work as they will only do the customer listed repairs which will be a much shorter and cheaper list.
DeanV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 09:10 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Some CC owners here said that CC was the one that decided to stop using Orvan for warranty work, not him.
I highly doubt that happened unless that is just a decision from the bean counters. In late October I was speaking face to face with some of the managers in CC customer service and they applauded his service and stood behind him.

I tend to think it is just Orvan's decision.

In either event this thing smells and it smells a lot like Cedar Creek is not a unit I would purchase again.
NJBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 10:41 AM   #8

Many times "warranty work" becomes too much of a hassle for shops. In the field I retired from warranty labor reimbursement rates were usually lower than customer pay rates. Preapproval times were often long and tedious. Reimbursement could often take up to 90 days.

Unless performing warranty repairs was part of the dealers sales agreement with a manufacturer (as it is with most car dealerships) many will turn down warranty work when their facility is filled with "customer pay" work.

No factory red tape and bill is paid on completion.

What's going on in this case is anyone's guess but these are just some thoughts.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 11:13 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Many times "warranty work" becomes too much of a hassle for shops. In the field I retired from warranty labor reimbursement rates were usually lower than customer pay rates. Preapproval times were often long and tedious. Reimbursement could often take up to 90 days.

Unless performing warranty repairs was part of the dealers sales agreement with a manufacturer (as it is with most car dealerships) many will turn down warranty work when their facility is filled with "customer pay" work.

No factory red tape and bill is paid on completion.

What's going on in this case is anyone's guess but these are just some thoughts.
I would echo these thoughts. When speaking to Orvin in November when I was there, he had concerns about warranty pay and parts availability. Not a Cedar Creek issue but an industry issue.
DeanV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 03:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBreeze View Post
I highly doubt that happened unless that is just a decision from the bean counters. In late October I was speaking face to face with some of the managers in CC customer service and they applauded his service and stood behind him.

I tend to think it is just Orvan's decision.

In either event this thing smells and it smells a lot like Cedar Creek is not a unit I would purchase again.
Wow, that’s a big leap based on a hunch? All Orvin works on pretty much is Cedar Creek. I know when I took mine to him he did a good chunk of warranty work along with things he recommended.

I agree with others here that Orvin pointed out issues that the general owner would not know needed fixed/reimforced/or modded.

Since you are wary of Cedar Creek I would like to know what other manufacturers have someone like Orvin standing by to work on their units? None, probably.

Im sure Orvin will keep busy. Warranties only last a year..

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 04:45 PM   #11
Site Team

I did a quick search and found one particular thread about the warranty work changes between CC and Orvan:

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...d.php?t=201044

There's probably more but the time frame should indicate when there were multiple discussions on this topic.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 03:20 PM   #12

I've used Orvan twice in the past 6-7 years for our 2015 CC Silverback 29RE. The first time, 2017, he did some fantastic work - replace the front cap, the black/gray pull lines, and some other items and said it was warranty work and the parts came from CC. I've went back to Amish Family 2 years ago for some other issues. He is one terrific RV repairman!!! I've always been very satisfied.

I suspect that someone at CC questioned why Orvan was getting parts for free or a very reduced cost and put an end to it. Amish Family RV is only about 2 miles or so from the factory in Topeka, IN and I'm sure he doesn't use a horse and buggy to get parts, etc.
Parrothead Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 09:08 PM   #13

What ever the exact details are we could only guess but in the end follow the money and you will get your answer.

Orvan can't just walk in there and get parts and he probably wouldn't anyways. Any parts pulled from the factory have to be pulled by customer service and depending on the part if it is short then it has to go up to the Director whose name is Steve. I watched the entire process from his office and if I wasn't there the person repairing my unit wasn't going to get the parts on his own.

Any authorized repair shop has to go thru a pretty lengthy process where the Supply Chain folks at Cedar Creek examine the shop and get as much financial information as they can on that business. It can take a few months and in the mean time the shops are basically paying cash for any parts they pull from Cedar Creek. I was given the list of "authorized" repair facilities in the Topeka area and it was only about 5 to 6 companies and that is now minus one that totally botched the work on my unit.
NJBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote