Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2014, 05:36 AM   #1

Amplified antenna switch light

I installed a 'Jack' antenna head on my existing Sensar mast. The install was straight forward with no hiccups. When pressing the Winegard wall plate button to turn on the amplifier to power up the Jack antenna head, the green 'on' light on the wall plate briefly illuminates while I push it in then the light goes out. Furthermore, the red light 'ON' light on the base of the Jack head does not illuminate. The tv signal IS stronger when the button is pushed, but I have a feeling I'm not getting enough 12DC to the unit. What's a good procedure to test the wall switch and powered cable connections. I have a multi-meter. Thanks in advance.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 06:38 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I believe your coax should carry voltage between the inner wire and the metallic sheath. I would measure at the wall plate and at then at the roof line and compare voltages. You may have a bad end on the cable. I installed a jack antenna and didn't see any difference in reception. Installed a wingman and that seemed to help more, but that was just my personal experience.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 06:48 AM   #3
Site Team - Lou

The Jack, like the Sensar, needs 12 VDC power to run the amp in the antenna. To get that power the wall plate must be "ON" (green light in panel ON).

If the wall plate is OFF. The signal going to your TVs is coming from the cable input on the side of your camper and not the roof antenna.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Winegard Wall PLate Amp.pdf (143.1 KB, 211 views)
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 02:23 PM   #4

I just installed a Jack antenna and it wouldn't power up. I had power to tje antenna but it would not turn on (no red LED). I found the coax connector in the Jack was bad. Instead of returning it, i opened it up and fixed the connection. How was the green wall LED before the jack? If it was OK i would check out the Jack antenna.

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 06:36 PM   #5

I could never see the green light on the wall plate since the tv I replaced was larger and hidden from view. I'm perplexed why the green wall plate light briefly went on when I pushed the button then back off. Strange.
Old 05-19-2014, 06:43 PM   #6
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattleNsmoke View Post
I could never see the green light on the wall plate since the tv I replaced was larger and hidden from view. I'm perplexed why the green wall plate light briefly went on when I pushed the button then back off. Strange.
Sounds like a short in the antenna cable, perhaps in the amplifier at the antenna. With a Winegard Sensar the amplifier is actually in the white box up there.
Attached Images

Old 05-19-2014, 07:19 PM   #7

I agree Herk, it does seem like a short. I'll start my diagnosis at the wall plate and that connection then work my way up the cable to the Jack antenna.
Old 05-23-2014, 08:42 AM   #8

OK, I'm a bit perplexed. As soon as I disconnect the cable running to the main tv, the wall plate green light illuminates. If I reconnect that coax or switch cables to the bedroom tv it goes out again. Whatever I plug into that r\s input jack seems to ground it out, only that 'right side' input jack. Does anyone have a schematic or diagram indicating the cable routing from the roof antenna and where that goes as well as the routing with the splitters etc? The inputs on the back of the wall switch are CABLE, tv1, tv2, SAT and of course the hot and ground legs. Where the heck does the roof antenna coax go, into a splitter?
Old 05-23-2014, 02:42 PM   #9
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
OK, I'm a bit perplexed. As soon as I disconnect the cable running to the main tv, the wall plate green light illuminates. If I reconnect that coax or switch cables to the bedroom tv it goes out again. Whatever I plug into that r\s input jack seems to ground it out, only that 'right side' input jack. Does anyone have a schematic or diagram indicating the cable routing from the roof antenna and where that goes as well as the routing with the splitters etc? The inputs on the back of the wall switch are CABLE, tv1, tv2, SAT and of course the hot and ground legs. Where the heck does the roof antenna coax go, into a splitter?
You have a short in the output; not the input(s).

I will try to draw you a schematic.
We get this type of question a lot.

The roof antenna goes to the back as does the cable input.

On the face is the SET1 output and (normally) goes right to the TV1 in the LR.

Also on the back is SET2 output which normally goes to the second TV (TV2).

If there is more than one TV (OR your installation DOES NOT use the faceplate for SET1; then SET2 output is split with a splitter (TV1 and TV2 split from the SET2 rear connection). If there are 3 TVS you get split 3 ways (if they wired it right) or with 2 - two way splitters in the lines (if done correctly, there should be a 75 ohm Balun terminal on the unused split port).

The AUX/SAT (if you have one) is a "home run" single wire to the outside SAT port.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CBL and SAT inputs.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	211.2 KB
ID:	53089  
Attached Images

Old 05-23-2014, 03:10 PM   #10

Quote:
I installed a 'Jack' antenna head on my existing Sensar mast. The install was straight forward with no hiccups. When pressing the Winegard wall plate button to turn on the amplifier to power up the Jack antenna head, the green 'on' light on the wall plate briefly illuminates while I push it in then the light goes out. Furthermore, the red light 'ON' light on the base of the Jack head does not illuminate. The tv signal IS stronger when the button is pushed, but I have a feeling I'm not getting enough 12DC to the unit. What's a good procedure to test the wall switch and powered cable connections. I have a multi-meter. Thanks in advance.
I just did the same install and power light stays on but the one on the antenna never came on or it's so light I can't see it. My old antenna barely picked up the local channels the Jack picks them +++ more. At night I can pick up 22 channels some as far away as 150 miles.
Old 05-24-2014, 03:55 PM   #11

OK, here's an update. I found the source of the output ground. The antenna cable entered a 2 way splitter behind the wall. The splitter sent has one leg going to the main tv and the other to my Panasonic Surround system. Well, the Panasonic has a female coax jack for it's FM antenna. Apparently the wall 12v power and the Panasonic FM coax don't play well together because as soon as I unplugged the Panasonic, the green wall plate light stayed on!...hmmmm. I will prolly have to go to Radio Shack and get a portable FM antenna if I want to pick up a broadcast. Now the strange thing is that red Jack light does not illuminate nor do I get any analog channels, just a dozen real nice digital ones. I'm getting 12v at the coax up on the roof, but no light under the Jack head. It does work because I ran a spare coax from the antenna coax jack to the Jack head and it lit up. The center electrode is plenty long enough so it's making contact. Weird stuff.
Old 05-26-2014, 06:52 AM   #12

To wrap up this thread, I used the FM wire that came supplied with the Panasonic surround and it works just fine. I simply lay the three ft of 20g wire inside the cubby where the surround is and it picks up many local channels. The red light on the Jack antenna still won't illuminate, so I'll put call into them tomorrow.
Old 05-26-2014, 07:20 AM   #13
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I would reinvestigate your cable going to the roof. If the Jack works, but just not with the existing coax, it about has to be there. Maybe replace the ends. Might be that when you tighten, you lose connection.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 03:14 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge Guy View Post
I just installed a Jack antenna and it wouldn't power up. I had power to tje antenna but it would not turn on (no red LED). I found the coax connector in the Jack was bad. Instead of returning it, i opened it up and fixed the connection. How was the green wall LED before the jack? If it was OK i would check out the Jack antenna.
I just installed the Jack to my Sensar mast. I pushed in the amplifier button and the green light came on(as it should). No difference in reception from the batwing antenna. The red light on the bottom on the Jack is not lit up. But if I push the amp button off, there goes my reception.
Does the red light on the bottom have something to do with amplifying the antenna?
Nights camped 2016 = 25
Nights camped 2017 = 13
Nights camped 2018 = 3
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 12:23 PM   #15

The jack has its own amplifier. You send double power up if you use the trailer amp. The red light can only be seen at night. If it is not burning it may be blown.
jdecanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 03:47 PM   #16
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdecanter View Post
The jack has its own amplifier. You send double power up if you use the trailer amp. The red light can only be seen at night. If it is not burning it may be blown.
True: The Jack has its own Amplifier (as does the Wingard Sensar); both are located in the antenna head.

False: The trailer does not "have an amp". It does have a powered coax switch and a power supply for the Jack's (or Winegard's Sensar) amplifier.

False: "double power" - Are you saying it sends 24 volts up there from a 12 volt battery?

True: "If it is not burning it may be blown" or a half dozen other reasons. (Like the antenna is not pointed at a station).

Here are the manuals on the wall plate amplifier power supply and the Sensar OEM antenna.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Winegard Wall PLate Amp.pdf (143.1 KB, 66 views)
File Type: pdf SENSAR ANTENNA.pdf (785.2 KB, 54 views)
Old 06-26-2014, 04:30 PM   #17

Thanks Herk for the info.

The diagram for the test points were a little vague or it could be I'm not smart enough to figure it out. I assume to test the power supply itself- put 1 lead on the red wire and 1 lead where the coax terminal to the antenna is. And for the end of the coax at the antenna- 1 lead on the wire at the end of the coax and what does the other lead touch? Should each reading be in the 12+ amp range?
Nights camped 2016 = 25
Nights camped 2017 = 13
Nights camped 2018 = 3
Old 06-26-2014, 04:37 PM   #18
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timex View Post
Thanks Herk for the info.

The diagram for the test points were a little vague or it could be I'm not smart enough to figure it out. I assume to test the power supply itself- put 1 lead on the red wire and 1 lead where the coax terminal to the antenna is. And for the end of the coax at the antenna- 1 lead on the wire at the end of the coax and what does the other lead touch? Should each reading be in the 12+ amp range?
You should read 12 volts DC from the center of the coax (bare wire) to the shield.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Winegard wall plate rear.JPG
Views:	279
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	56444  
Old 06-26-2014, 04:42 PM   #19

The shield- you mean the aluminum foil that is on the outside of the conductor or the strand of wire "hair" that is outside of the white plastic conductor that is around the bare wire?

You'll have to draw me a picture.

I'm gonna figure this out sooner or later.
Nights camped 2016 = 25
Nights camped 2017 = 13
Nights camped 2018 = 3
Old 06-26-2014, 05:12 PM   #20
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timex View Post
The shield- you mean the aluminum foil that is on the outside of the conductor or the strand of wire "hair" that is outside of the white plastic conductor that is around the bare wire?

You'll have to draw me a picture.

I'm gonna figure this out sooner or later.
The metal shield (the part with the screw threads) is ground and the thin center wire should be positive. The aluminum foil is the actual shield but it needs good contact with the threaded fitting to make a good electrical contact with the antenna's coax connector.

This is the best photo I have of the center wire and the "shield"

Remember the actual signal carried by the RF is now digital and if your cable connection is poor you will lose stations. Buy a good quality cable tool and compression set. Those twist on's are worthless.

http://www.amazon.com/Klein-Tools-VD...ession+crimper

The cable testing unit in this set is worth the price of the entire kit.
Attached Images

Tags
antenna, light