Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2018, 11:57 PM   #1

Another Lippert level up question

Got our 2018 34RL2 too late to use last fall. It has been tucked away in indoor storage and not accessible to play with it. Getting ready to pull it out in a month or so by reading up on systems, I am confused by the Lippert manual. I have had motorhomes with 4 jack systems but this 6 point system isn't making any sense to me. Lippert says when in manual mode the side buttons control mid and rear jacks for the side pushed but not the front landing jack for that side. Sounds to me that if I try to manually level by bringing a side up, the front landing jack for that side doesn't move. That would definitely twist the frame. I would think you would want all three jacks on side selected to move together just like a 4 jack system I'm used to would move both jacks on selected side to evenly raise the side. What am i missing? Can you only level using the auto function? If you push front and a side at same time the manual seems to say the front (landing) jack on side selected is only one that moves. Thanks.
cub22908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 06:58 AM   #2
CCRVOC

The two front jacks are tied together. When the pressure goes down on the side you are lifting it increases on the other side and oil flows from the higher pressure side to the lower pressure side.
Same for the rear jacks, when you lift the front the middle jack pressure decreases as the rear increases and oil flows from the rear to the middle.

Henry
HenryL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 08:53 AM   #3

Thanks Henry. I see where that would solve most of the problem but still would cause weird things to happen as one side on front would be going down. I guess Lippert has explored all options and this is the best.

So with the six point system can a side be raised enough to make an emergency tire change?
Old 03-14-2018, 09:40 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cub22908 View Post
Thanks Henry. I see where that would solve most of the problem but still would cause weird things to happen as one side on front would be going down. I guess Lippert has explored all options and this is the best.

So with the six point system can a side be raised enough to make an emergency tire change?
Yes, but you may have to work from side to side. If your RV is not level enough. Let’s say you are off the side of the road and the tire damages is on the driver road side and your RV is leaning toward the non road side. When you start to raise the the road side the LCI system will only allow about 2 degrees or so of angle and will stop. If you are in this situation you need to lift the non road side first. This may require you putting some 2x6’s to get it up, depending on tilt. I had to do this on along I-75 a year or so ago.

I’ve seen threads where some folks had problems with the torsion system getting turned inside out or something like that but I don’t see why that couldn’t happen anytime you jack the wheels off the ground?

Also you will hear from the folks who say don’t do it because the jacks may fail. If that is a worry, then don’t ever walk under the front of your fiver to get in the front basement. Jacks could fail and break your neck.

Long story short.. I have used my jacks many times to lift tires off ground. Heck, sometimes auto-level will lift them off the ground. Get out the popcorn..

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 09:46 AM   #5

Quote:

You want the front to follow that side. If the rear goes down and the front stays up then you could never level side to side. Front to back level is just that but it does not take into account side to side angle. So, you can get it level front to back but be out of level side to side. The front is out side to side also so a jack has to follow the rear movement.

Old 03-14-2018, 09:52 AM   #6
CCRVOC

Quote:

It hasn't caused weird things to happen for me. That's the way the system works on MHs with four jacks too, it has to. If the jacks didn't equalize as you lifted one side the other side pressure would rise. My Monaco MH only had three jacks (one on the front) but after letting the air bags down you had to be sure to raise the front jack enough that the front was off the axle enough to have some pivot room.

Henry
HenryL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 10:43 AM   #7

Thanks everyone for the info, I'm starting to see how the six point system works. I would have never figured that out alone!

I am planning on lifting one side at a time to remove tires to install internal TPMS sensors and metal stems. Even tho I am not planning on getting under it while it is lifted, I got two heavy duty and tall jack stands from HF to set as backup while tires off.

Thanks again!
Old 03-14-2018, 02:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
Yes, but you may have to work from side to side. If your RV is not level enough. Let’s say you are off the side of the road and the tire damages is on the driver road side and your RV is leaning toward the non road side. When you start to raise the the road side the LCI system will only allow about 2 degrees or so of angle and will stop. If you are in this situation you need to lift the non road side first. This may require you putting some 2x6’s to get it up, depending on tilt. I had to do this on along I-75 a year or so ago.

I’ve seen threads where some folks had problems with the torsion system getting turned inside out or something like that but I don’t see why that couldn’t happen anytime you jack the wheels off the ground?

Also you will hear from the folks who say don’t do it because the jacks may fail. If that is a worry, then don’t ever walk under the front of your fiver to get in the front basement. Jacks could fail and break your neck.

Long story short.. I have used my jacks many times to lift tires off ground. Heck, sometimes auto-level will lift them off the ground. Get out the popcorn..
Did you leave 5er hooked to truck when you did roadside change? Seems like that would work without lowering front landing jacks. Dan
Old 03-14-2018, 04:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Did you leave 5er hooked to truck when you did roadside change? Seems like that would work without lowering front landing jacks. Dan
Yes I did and your right, I did not use front landing gear.

Old 03-14-2018, 08:32 PM   #10

The leveling system uses basic physics. To support an object in a plane requires 3 points. Like a stool. The six jack's are operated as paired. This allows the system to level on any surface.
Sterlingsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 05:49 PM   #11

Just lift the whole thing up off the ground l had mine up for a few days putting in disc brakes. If you are worried about blowing a line just take the tires off one axle at a time.
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote