Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2018, 04:05 PM   #1

Anyone else having problems with drawer slides?

Is anyone else having problems with their drawer slides? I have had 6 drawers that jam or don't soft close that I have had to replace the slides on. I put in the Knape & Vogt KV 8400 RV Full Extension 100 lb Drawer Slide with Stay Close Feature and they work great. Not soft close but they definitely are better quality and are made for RVs. I am a cabinet maker and just need high quality drawer slides. Not cheap but they work.
Old 07-29-2018, 09:17 PM   #2

Usually when the drawers soft closing stops it's due to the pin at the back of the slide rail being flipped off. I just flip the pin and soft close works again. Not sure how the pin gets flipped off in the first place. Also, there's a pin on each slide rail so they both have to be checked, most of the time it's one side or the other. You can check one of the drawers that soft closes correctly to see the correct pin setting.

Best,
Fifth Wheelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 10:42 PM   #3

Ours are actually breaking. Maybe ours are different than yours. I am sure they are switching brands on drawer slides from time to time.
Old 07-29-2018, 11:01 PM   #4

We have had multiple units by multiple manufacturers. Everyone one of them had cheap slides and latching hardware that were usually installed/aligned incorrectly.

One of the things we do to a new unit is replacing slides and latches on drawers and cabinets with quality and heavier duty hardware. Saves us aggravation of doing them one at a time later
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 11:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
We have had multiple units by multiple manufacturers. Everyone one of them had cheap slides and latching hardware that were usually installed/aligned incorrectly.

One of the things we do to a new unit is replacing slides and latches on drawers and cabinets with quality and heavier duty hardware. Saves us aggravation of doing them one at a time later

Exactly what I am seeing. Having to shim to get the slides square. The KV 8400 RV slides are great. Hanen’t been on the road yet but they seem to hold well. I replaced 6 so far and have one spare.
Old 07-30-2018, 02:19 PM   #6

I've had slides on three drawers in my Hemisphere go bad--bearings dropping onto the floor.

Where can I find replacements? Can I get them at Lowes or Home Depot?

Thanks,
Matt
Lowes48fan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 02:30 PM   #7

I ordered Knapp & Vogt KV 8400 RV. Not soft close but stay close made for RV. They seem nice.
Old 07-30-2018, 02:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowes48fan1 View Post
I've had slides on three drawers in my Hemisphere go bad--bearings dropping onto the floor.

Thanks,
Matt
Yep.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 03:11 PM   #9

Yup they are junk on our 2018 CC. Dealer is sending me some replacements but I suspect they’re the same quality. I’ll likely replace them with cabinet quality units one day.
upnover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 04:30 PM   #10

I changed all my drawer slides to the soft close and it was easy to do. I also built a new drawer for the top of the stack, as it didn't do anything. I needed more drawers,so, built a new one using the original face. It works well.
beechjet16mf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 07:40 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowes48fan1 View Post

Thanks,
Matt
Mine were 12 inch and I couldn't find any 12" at Lowes or HD. I bought online from wwhardware.com.
Old 07-30-2018, 10:35 PM   #12

Guess I'm the only one with a Champagne that's lucky with no problems other than having to reset the pins. Wish you the best,,,,
Fifth Wheelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 05:27 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifth Wheelers View Post
Guess I'm the only one with a Champagne that's lucky with no problems other than having to reset the pins. Wish you the best,,,,
We live full time in our 38EL, no problems with the drawers or closures.
2017 Ford F350 Crewcab Dually Diesel
Officially homeless and loving it.
Ham Callsign K9NDY
Indymule is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide