Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2016, 03:28 PM   #41
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

JT Strongs on a wildcat 327ck
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0468.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	540.8 KB
ID:	119028   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0469.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	383.5 KB
ID:	119029   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0490.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	443.5 KB
ID:	119030   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0472.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	282.8 KB
ID:	119031   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0479.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	334.8 KB
ID:	119032  

elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 03:28 PM   #42

Quote "I guess you never had to crawl under your RV with shorts on and a sharp gravel CG pad!!"
I don't crawl anywhere to lock the T handles ... I just squat at the leg, reach out, and tighten the T's. For those of you not so limber ... no offense meant.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 03:34 PM   #43
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
Quote "I guess you never had to crawl under your RV with shorts on and a sharp gravel CG pad!!"
I don't crawl anywhere to lock the T handles ... I just squat at the leg, reach out, and tighten the T's. For those of you not so limber ... no offense meant.

This happens when DW gets the slides out before I get the stabs down.
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 03:51 PM   #44
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by elind View Post
I guess you never had to crawl under your RV with shorts on and a sharp gravel CG pad!!
As I said above
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
I don't have any awji-matic leveling system. I don't have to crawl under the trailer for stabilizer tightening. I do have to bend down and reach under to tighten my T-bolts - don't even have to get on one knee.
... and as dieselguy said: no offense to those who are not so limber.
I turned 69 in April but I still don't have to put a knee on the railroad gravel to tighten my T-bolts!

DW doesn't operate the slide-outs until I give her the signal!

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 56; Booked = 52
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 11:47 PM   #45
Old Member

Send a message via Skype™ to mikey
Don't what all the hubub is about concerning JT Strongarms installed on level-up system. Installed it on my '13 36 CKTS in 2013 and have not had problem one. BTW we generally use our Creek about 5-6 month out of each year. Besides I have yet to find any devise on any component of the level-up system the causing the jack to rotate! We are just completing an odyssey that began 7/17, ending 9/5. Don't know how many retract/extend cycles without any problems whatsoever.

Just sayin.

Travel safe & enjoy

Mikey
Old 09-02-2016, 01:12 AM   #46

I had the JT system on my unit they worked great, no welding required at all. I then switched to the level up system, Lippard removed my JT's and said I couldn't use them. After I found out that you can use them on that system. But a eye has to welded to the pad, or you can just buy the big foot pad that has a eye already on them. The ram doesn't rotate going up or down as they say. So you can install them. It takes time to learn how blocks to put down under each leg to stop the movement. The longer the stroke the more movement you have. So shorten it up with the level up system. The pad itself has movement in it for the ground you setting up on not much but some play. My level up system works well to stop movement as long as I shorten the stroke. I would highly recommend the JT system it works great and will take over 90% out of the movement. I don't understand what would need welding? I can't say anything on the stead fast system being I never seen one close up....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 07:41 AM   #47

I have had the Steadyfast system for ten years and moved it from TT to fiver. Awesome product and easy install(sharp drill bits). Eliminates the side to side movement but still has a little bounce from frame flex but this is standard unless you go with extra stab jacks. Their customer service is awesome!
CCSILVERBACKBJANDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 12:36 PM   #48

As I understand it, the issue is that the jack legs 'twist' as they go up and down on a 6 pt LCI Level Up system. That would prohibit use of Strongarms.

I can't PROVE that they twist. But many folks that own CC's tell me that they do, or at least they have for the last few years.

If they do twist, can't use these. IF they don't, I can, and would like to know for sure one way or the other.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 12:48 PM   #49

Mine don't twist. I had heard this rumor and put an aligned magic marker dot on the foot and the housing on all of them. Never moved. Even if they did, I don't see how that would hurt the ram/seal. Most hydraulic rams can't twist.
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 01:02 PM   #50

I agree they "Do not twist" where this came from is beyond me.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Forest River Forums mobile app

Old 12-29-2017, 12:00 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
Looking for real world experience with anyone who has either stabilization system installed.

Looking at SteadyFast more.

Need to know:
Did it really help to justify cost? ($291)
Hard to install?
Importantly, DID IT FIT this particular 5th wheel?
How you like it?

Thanks.

Bill
I will be odd man out:

First of all do they work? YES! This BEGS the question: Do you NEED them? NO!

Can you level you 5th and not have the swing and sway with Sammy Kaye sensation? YES and YES!

HOW?

You have in most cases 8 stabilization points on your rig: 2 in front or landing legs, usually with an electric motor to lift and raise. 2 on the rear and you have 4 tires = 8

How do I do it where you have no movement:

I unlock my 5th wheel connection, then lower my 2 front legs until the first one touches ground, then I drop the adjustable leg on the one not touching and if I hole does not line up, I have a couple of thin spacers that I add to get the leg lined up with a hole in the leg extension. Now the front end is level on the lateral plane (side to side).

I lift my rig, and drive out from under and now I lower legs until my rig till the front end drops just below the horizontal level plane of the rig. At this point you have almost the max weight of your rig resting on the tire set and the front legs.

Bring the front legs back up until its about 2 degrees above the horizontal plane, got back to the rear, drop the rear scissors jack and level up to zero degrees.

Solid as a rock!

Why? I watch folks when they roll in and set up, almost every one does the same thing, they lift the wheels off the ground, losing 2 stabilization points in the process and now you get the boat sensation. I do the opposite, I set my rig DOWN and I am using the upward pressure of the springs to assist the the stabilization.

Tools you need: Digital level . This what you use to FIND your levels. First thing I do with it is find the horizontal length level. Place digital level on hard surface (floor) over the centerline of the wheel set, now lift or lower front legs till you zero out +/- .5 degrees. Attach a stick on level on the side of your 5th wheel pin box and on the front for the lateral level, one on the side of your rv over the centerline of the axle set, one on the rear back center for lateral level.

Sounds complicated? Its not

How long to level out when you arrive at a new campsite: About 10 min total time from lift off to level out.

Results: Yes you can dance on your floor like Travolta on the disco island and the 5th never moves.

Cost: about $30 bucks for the digital level at Sears, and another $10 for the 4 small stick on levels at WalMart.

Learning curve: Yea will take you a couple of times you get the procedure but down, but after that it becomes a 10 min job max.

Why does it work? Because you are setting it DOWN on the springs, NOT lifting it up. As you lift your 5th higher you reduce the weight on the spring pacs.

NOTE: This is just how I have done it over the years, it may not be for everybody, but it worked well for me. Now my new 5th has the Lippert self level and wife loves it!...me, not so much.
Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
'19 F 350 CC, LB King Ranch Ultimate
17 Oaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 07:11 PM   #52

Anyone have SteadyFast or JT Strongarms installed?

I too have read somewhere that the hyd cylinder should be able to rotate as it is extending and retracting. If true the jtís would stop that.
Since there are so many pivot points in them there is no alignment issue. There is no welding needed on the frame. The issue is only with the attachment point on the round footpads with hydraulic systems.

I have to say it is interesting that lippert sells the adapters on their site but says you cannot use them.
https://store.lci1.com/hydraulic-jack-adaptor-lug#

I had them on my prior 5er and love them. I have been apprehensive installing them due to the stories being discussed. Now that it is off warranty i probably should install them
theczar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 09:20 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by theczar View Post
I too have read somewhere that the hyd cylinder should be able to rotate as it is extending and retracting. If true the jtís would stop that.
Since there are so many pivot points in them there is no alignment issue. There is no welding needed on the frame. The issue is only with the attachment point on the round footpads with hydraulic systems.

I have to say it is interesting that lippert sells the adapters on their site but says you cannot use them.
https://store.lci1.com/hydraulic-jack-adaptor-lug#

I had them on my prior 5er and love them. I have been apprehensive installing them due to the stories being discussed. Now that it is off warranty i probably should install them
Hyd cyl do NOT ROTATE. They are bolted to frame extensions. I have inspected all 6, replaced the front set X 2...Nor do the legs rotate.
Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
'19 F 350 CC, LB King Ranch Ultimate
17 Oaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 09:46 AM   #54

Mine do.

I just put on SnapPads, and now it's clear when retracting that the front legs rotate as they go up.

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 01-08-2018, 09:54 AM   #55

Quote:
Mine do.

I just put on SnapPads, and now it's clear when retracting that the front legs rotate as they go up.
We have a mystery. I wonder if there are two different kinds of lippert cylinders? I know for a fact that none of my rams rotate in the cylinder. Does anybody know why some rotate, and why they would rotate? What would it hurt if they did not rotate? I personally have seen at least 10 rigs that have level-up with steadyfast or strongarm installed. They appear to have no problems.
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 10:03 AM   #56

Very good question. I emailed the guy at Strongarms over and over, and he was very helpful. BUT, he kept telling me that he had examples of the LCI 6 pt system being used with his Strongarms (or whichever one, I get the two brands mixed up, sorry). Yet, the examples he sent me were always different than what I had. So I was reluctant.

When I put on the Snappads last week, it was recommended to spray the existing pads with black Flexseal. That just made them look better. Now they were more visible, for some reason. So when I hooked up to "come south" end of December, I specifically looked closely at the jack legs as they retracted.........since I had to do this twice to get the SnapPads installed. The SnapPads, now larger and more visible, clearly rotated as they retracted. I don't think (???) I was seeing things. I remember thinking "Well, that answers that!".

I'm sure there is more than one model, just from looking at different trailers.

EDIT: I guess it was the "SteadyFast" company that I communicated with.

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 01-08-2018, 11:02 AM   #57

Quote:
Mine do.

Are you sure it is not just the pad? Hold on to ram and have someone else hit retract, I 'll bet the ram will not rotate on a level up system. I have done it, mine do not rotate, the pad might move but no movement in the ram, except up and down. Try it..

Old 01-08-2018, 11:11 AM   #58

Even easier, just hit your extend bottom to raise the front when unhooked from the TV. I guarantee you you that ram and pad will not rotate period.

Old 01-08-2018, 11:33 AM   #59

OK, but it'll be March 31 before I move the landing gear again!

I have to admit, A) I'm NOT sure, but B) how can the landing gear not move but the pads do move???????????

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 01-08-2018, 11:48 AM   #60

I would think how the pad is attached to ram, most are a single bolt that screws into the bottom of the ram, without two bolts if it gets lose it will, the pad has to be loose enough to compensate for the ground level, front to back and side to side if that makes sense. Remember the front system is angled at like 15 degrees. If the pad was tight it wouldn't ever be level on the ground, just my thought. Also if you look at a cut away of the cylinder there is nothing that can make it rotate.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Forest River Forums mobile app

Tags
led