Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2018, 12:45 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
They do not rotate going up or down, at least I have never seen it happen to mine
How could they rotate when sitting on the pad? When they hit the ground and extend and retract to get you to level if they are rotating the pad would dig a hole in the ground. Hold a ram in your hand when you push retract, they DO NOT ROTATE. easy way to tell

I didn't imply they rotate I worked with many Hydraulic cylinders and MOST do not rotate but some issues can cause them to rotate un less they are securly locked from rotation by the mounting points. The units on your trailer only have one mounting point so they can rotate if a side rotaional force is applied such as the JT's possibly off center I doub't that any of the stabs your talking about have a internal antirotational which some manufactures of hydraulic and some pnumatic cylinders use as they are very costly to manufacture. And don't think that you cannot damage a hydraulic cylinder with the JT's It does not take much side force to bend them causing them to leak I know because I have done it on a dump trailer where the ram jammed on the clevis on the cylinder end not at the rod and bent the rams on both sides and the trailer was empty.

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 12:48 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
I know you have been agonizing on this decision for a long time. We have discussed it a lot. Seems you are waiting to find your EXACT RV with SteadyFast installed before you will believe it can be done.

There are lots of pictures of hydraulic levelup systems with steadyfast/strong arms installed, even on their own sites picture galleries. I have seen numerous examples in our travels and on dealer lots.

Everytime you mention your fears of rotation in conjunction with steadyfast install, you are perpetuating the myth that is a problem.

Good luck on making your decision. I wish you well.
I did post this in the CC section. But I'm not looking for EXACT setup. I'm simply looking for any 5th wheel with LCI 6 point level up and Steadyfast. I emailed the owner of Steadyfast, who told me SURE it can be done, and yet he couldn't give me any examples or pictures. The pictures he sent, were not the same as my setup. Every one was a manual jack system.

Sorry to be upsetting folks. I'll ask elsewhere. I just am not going to waste my time and money until I personally feel comfortable with it. And I'm not perpetuating a myth.......and besides, I can give you lots of credible folks who believe that 'myth'. So to me, the jury is out, but it is swinging your way, I admit.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 12:52 PM   #83

This one of several pics on the steadyfast website: http://steadyfast2.homestead.com/Doo...ear_Jack_3.JPG

Just do Google search 'steadyfast and levelup'. Lots of reading and pics from all kinds of sites.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 01:15 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetonford View Post
I didn't imply they rotate I worked with many Hydraulic cylinders and MOST do not rotate but some issues can cause them to rotate un less they are securly locked from rotation by the mounting points. The units on your trailer only have one mounting point so they can rotate if a side rotaional force is applied such as the JT's possibly off center I doub't that any of the stabs your talking about have a internal antirotational which some manufactures of hydraulic and some pnumatic cylinders use as they are very costly to manufacture. And don't think that you cannot damage a hydraulic cylinder with the JT's It does not take much side force to bend them causing them to leak I know because I have done it on a dump trailer where the ram jammed on the clevis on the cylinder end not at the rod and bent the rams on both sides and the trailer was empty.
Your correct, but my point was that the system LCI sells didn't rotate which was the question posed, there is the myth that they do, under normal operation they will not. I have had my system for 3 years and never ever did it rotate. LCI will even tell you that, but as far as I know they still won't recommend it for other reasons not the rotation that is in question. I agree there are a lot of different systems but only one in question.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 01:35 PM   #85

One other thought with any hydraulic system as time goes on the packing in the cylinder can wear a grove into the unit sometimes causing a slight rotation if it is kept from this rotation it can cause bypassing of oil in the cylinder causing leakdown which could cause a issue that is why they possibly don't recomend the JT's on their units.

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
Old 03-01-2018, 01:41 PM   #86

OK wait.

So, LCI will not recommend their own 6 point leveling in combination with their own Strongarms?

The owner of Steadyfast DID recommend it. It was only when he couldn't give me a single example of it, that I questioned. Then I put this on hold till I could see one here in the campground, OR see my own at the end of March. I kept hearing "they are out there" but no one proved it.

I did find two examples today, although Googling what NMW suggested shows they are nowhere near as prevalent as you'd think. Hard to find.........for me anyway. But I did find a couple. It was 5 pages into Google before any were found, though!

I'm almost sorry I ever brought it up. I'll think on it and research more in the next few months.

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 03-01-2018, 01:45 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetonford View Post
One other thought with any hydraulic system as time goes on the packing in the cylinder can wear a grove into the unit sometimes causing a slight rotation if it is kept from this rotation it can cause bypassing of oil in the cylinder causing leakdown which could cause a issue that is why they possibly don't recomend the JT's on their units.
And as time goes by, there is a chance of a green alien throwing out space trash and hitting us in the head
Old 03-01-2018, 01:47 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
And as time goes by, there is a chance of a green alien throwing out space trash and hitting us in the head
Already happened.

Where do you think cats came from? God wouldn't stoop so low as to make a cat, would He?

LOL

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 03-01-2018, 01:53 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
Already happened.

Where do you think cats came from? God wouldn't stoop so low as to make a cat, would He?

LOL
Now I like that.... I'm gonna have to steal that one from ya. Purrfect explanation for the existence of cats......
Old 03-01-2018, 01:53 PM   #90

Quote:
Already happened.

LOL
Thats a good one and I have a Cat.

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
Old 03-01-2018, 01:56 PM   #91

I had a cat once, too.

That's all I'll say about that.

And since I actually LIKE dead horses.......LOL.....I'm gonna email Mr. Strongarms again and ask him if he claims that his product works with the LCI 6 pt Level Up, WHY does he not have a single picture.......among dozens.......of such an installation? In fact, all his pictures of successful installations are oddly either of camper brands I never heard of, or of very old models with manual jacks. I don't care how dead the horse is, I don't understand why there's so little info on this.

But I won't keep asking...........

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 03-01-2018, 02:11 PM   #92

Anyone have SteadyFast or JT Strongarms installed?

Quote:
I had a cat once, too.

That's all I'll say about that.

And since I actually LIKE dead horses.......LOL.....I'm gonna email Mr. Strongarms again and ask him if he claims that his product works with the LCI 6 pt Level Up, WHY does he not have a single picture.......among dozens.......of such an installation? In fact, all his pictures of successful installations are oddly either of camper brands I never heard of, or of very old models with manual jacks. I don't care how dead the horse is, I don't understand why there's so little info on this.

But I won't keep asking...........

Respectfully BandJ you are chasing your own tail for no reason. Stabilizers will work on any rv leveling system, it’s basic physics. These are extended by simple hydraulic rams that do no rotate. Best of luck to you
arter368rlbhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 02:14 PM   #93
Always Learning

[QUOTE=BandJCarm;1744032I'm gonna email Mr. Strongarms again and ask him if he claims that his product works with the LCI 6 pt Level Up, WHY does he not have a single picture.......among dozens.......of such an installation?[/QUOTE]

I thought NMWildcat posted a picture from the SteadyFast website in this post?

It looks like that is from the gallery, for a Infinity Fifth Wheel that says it's the "Lippert 6 Point Level Up". I haven't heard of the brand, but isn't that the same leveling system?
Old 03-01-2018, 04:31 PM   #94

Yes they are LCI in the picture, really don't care who made the trailer, we are talking rams. LCI doesn't make JTs they are made by I think I have this right hoppyard, something like that, you will see it on LCI web site. Also the one in the picture I think are Steadyfast
If I was going to put them on I would buy Jt.

Old 03-01-2018, 04:49 PM   #95

Okay, I have just talked to Lippert, they said you can add the stabilizers and that the cyclenders DO NOT ROTATE on the level up system

Old 03-01-2018, 04:55 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
Okay, I have just talked to Lippert, they said you can add the stabilizers and that the cyclenders DO NOT ROTATE on the level up system

Really.....you don’t say [emoji57]

Just teasing witch doctor thx
Old 03-01-2018, 05:06 PM   #97

Thanks. Good info.

Here is the post that got me asking this question. I'm apparently not the only one.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...-up-97393.html

And the owner of Steadyfast emailed me giving me his examples of his sales that he said were the same. They weren't. They were all manual but one. And the adapters are apparently for electric.

I said I was done.......and folks are somehow getting upset with me for asking this and not just buying into whatever they say.....so I will now truly bow out.

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 03-01-2018, 05:46 PM   #98

Works fine on mine, but to each their own I guess.....you can lead a horse to water.....
Old 03-01-2018, 05:54 PM   #99

Not sure what "yours" is.

and I don't understand the snippyness in all this. "You can lead a horse to water" translates...........to me......to mean "You should believe all that I say".

I'd like to. I want it to work.

Dang it. I keep promising to back off.........but I see no reason for the 'tudes.........

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 03-01-2018, 05:58 PM   #100

No attitude here whatsoever. Sorry but if you can’t understand the simple physics of the 6 point system with the stabilizers, then I’m not sure what anyone says is going to help you.

Tags
led