Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2016, 08:58 AM   #1

Anyone have SteadyFast or JT Strongarms installed?

Looking for real world experience with anyone who has either stabilization system installed.

Looking at SteadyFast more.

Need to know:
Did it really help to justify cost? ($291)
Hard to install?
Importantly, DID IT FIT this particular 5th wheel?
How you like it?

Thanks.

Bill

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 09:09 AM   #2

They help considerably. Worth the cost. Installed on a fifth wheel. If ordering, measure between the front jack legs. There are 2 different versions for fifth wheel. You may also need the foot pad extension kit if you have the rear electrical stabilizers
Will take 3-4 hours to install by yourself, a drill with good bits, several wrenches, and a few beers.
BBQGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 09:12 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQGUY View Post
They help considerably. Worth the cost. Installed on a fifth wheel. It ordering, check the distance between the front jack legs. There are 2 different versions for fifth wheel. You may also need the foot pad extension kit if you have the rear electrical stabilizers
Will take 3-4 hours to install by yourself, a drill with good bits, several wrenches, and a few beers.
Thanks man.

The instructions, even for the bolted-on model, says welding is involved......to actually weld the bolt head to the footplate. Seems counter-intuitive to me......if I pay extra for the bolt on model, why do I still need to weld?

Drilling the holes and installing doesn't scare me. But buying it and then finding out it won't fit does.......or that I can't install it without taking it to a welder somewhere.

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 08-30-2016, 09:26 AM   #4

I have the JT StrongArm system. No welding was involved... but if you do not have a support or cross member within 18 inches of the rear jacks then you may heave to add one. My distance was 23". I did not add one and the system works fine.
BBQGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 09:43 AM   #5

We got the JTs about 5 years ago and I definitely think they were worth it. DH wasn't so sure, so the last time we camped, I didn't tighten them. That evening, DH commented that the 5er sure was bouncing a lot. W have an active 9 year old. I told him that I hadn't tightened them down so he could see how much movement there was. Before bed, he went out and tightened them up.

No one can tell you whether the cost can be justified......FOR YOU. For us, yes, definitely.

I ordered the JTs and they came in the morning we were leaving on a trip. We threw them in the 5er and DH and I installed them in a couple of hours at the campground with the tools we had in the RV. We sure didn't have to do any welding.
merrykalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 09:46 AM   #6

You have the Six Point Level Up system, will anything work on that, I never seen any on the Six Point
Amateur Radio W5CI 2019 Days Camping 25
2020 Days Camping 7
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 09:47 AM   #7

Have had JT's on my last 3 fivers ... wouldn't leave home with out them. Infinitely better than dragging the ole tripod around. Easy install if you follow the instructions. I have "Level Up" on my Silverback and bolted the adaptors on my round feet. You have to grind a bit of clearance in the adaptors for the forked end on the rod, but no biggie. Steady Fast works as well ... I just prefered JT's design over-all. No welding for me.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 10:00 AM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Anyone have SteadyFast or JT Strongarms installed?

Put jt strongarms on my bosses fifth wheel in 1.5 hrs
Drilling required.
I've had them on mine for almost a year and love them!

Highly recommend and two [emoji106][emoji106]

2015 Columbus 320RS
2008 2500HD Duramax
2015 nights camped "34"
2016 nights camped "32"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 10:07 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
Thanks man.

The instructions, even for the bolted-on model, says welding is involved......to actually weld the bolt head to the footplate. Seems counter-intuitive to me......if I pay extra for the bolt on model, why do I still need to weld?

Drilling the holes and installing doesn't scare me. But buying it and then finding out it won't fit does.......or that I can't install it without taking it to a welder somewhere.
SteadyFast does have a bolt kit for the round footpads on level up systems. It is Item Q on the purchase page: Welcome to Steady fast

Instructions were written before they came out with the kit for level up systems. So no welding necessary.

They also show the bolt on kit used on 6 point level up system here:
Welcome to Steady fast

Call them before you order and they will ensure you have everything you need. VERY NICE FOLKS!!!!!

Enjoy!!!!
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 10:07 AM   #10

OK, I'm sold on the concept.

I can't answer WHY exactly, but I like the SteadyFast better. Regardless, I am hearing from others that it can't be done on the 6 Pt Leveling System (even though SteadyFast website has specific model for that), and 2nd that welding is required. Not a deal breaker, but i'd have to find a welding shop.

Is there really some big difference between the two? Everyone that has EITHER Loves it.......so no buyer's remorse appears to be evident either way.

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 08-30-2016, 10:19 AM   #11

Quote:
OK, I'm sold on the concept.

I can't answer WHY exactly, but I like the SteadyFast better. Regardless, I am hearing from others that it can't be done on the 6 Pt Leveling System (even though SteadyFast website has specific model for that), and 2nd that welding is required. Not a deal breaker, but i'd have to find a welding shop.

Is there really some big difference between the two? Everyone that has EITHER Loves it.......so no buyer's remorse appears to be evident either way.
I liked SteadyFast better as it has fewer mount points to attach to your rig and you can't lose the tightner. Strongarms has a T handle that everybody seems to lose at some point. Also SteadyFast just looks cleaner to me. Just my opinion. If you missed my first post you don't have to weld, and they do work with 6 point level ups. Call them.... they are a pleasure to work with.
Old 08-30-2016, 10:23 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
I liked SteadyFast better as it has fewer mount points to attach to your rig and you can't lose the tightner. Strongarms has a T handle that everybody seems to lose at some point. Also SteadyFast just looks cleaner to me. Just my opinion. If you missed my first post you don't have to weld, and they do work with 6 point level ups. Call them.... they are a pleasure to work with.
I did miss it....it was being posted when I was in and out, I'm sorry! No slight intended.

I have one worry I guess. Even the installation instructions for the bolt on kit say that the BEST way to put the bolt on the round footplate is to weld the bolt head on!! The drilling instructions require some special tools that I don't have. And.......welding WOULD be better I'd think.

Still, I'm being told by other CC folks that it can't be done.

I can't find a single model of what I have, specifically, that has done it. There's no CC models in the SteadyFast pictures or examples. I'd sure feel better if someone with my unit (there's a million of 'em) has done it.

Will check back later.........

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 08-30-2016, 10:39 AM   #13

Quote:
I did miss it....it was being posted when I was in and out, I'm sorry! No slight intended.

I have one worry I guess. Even the installation instructions for the bolt on kit say that the BEST way to put the bolt on the round footplate is to weld the bolt head on!! The drilling instructions require some special tools that I don't have. And.......welding WOULD be better I'd think.

I can't find a single model of what I have, specifically, that has done it. There's no CC models in the SteadyFast pictures or examples. I'd sure feel better if someone with my unit (there's a million of 'em) has done it.

I understand your concern. I had the some ones! So I called them (SteadyFast) and they answered all my questions. They might have even done some CCs. I would like to hear why CC folks say it can't be done. Just curious. I've already scoped out the best mount points on my frame. I will order mine with the bolt kit for the level up as soon as the boss tells me I can Seems like doctors bills take priority?
Old 08-30-2016, 11:24 AM   #14

Quote:

Ok I am the doubting Thomas on these type of add on devices.

Why?

Will you have to weld on the frame and or drill into the frame! Being a retired structural engineer I am afraid of aftermarket welding taking place on an I-beam type of frame.

One; there should be no transvers welds on the frame; this will induce cracking and or fatigue weld failures on the frame.

Two; what type of weld rod will the welder use on the frame will it be compatible to the frame material? Steel is not steel when you use I-beams for framing. Different types of material grade and alloys to make up this steel can be used when designing the frame. With different types of fatigue life that the welding can effect. You might need to pre-heat and or post heat the frame to reduce the weld stress that can be introduced. This too might effect the hydraulic ram material when welded!

Three; will this weld penetrate the parent material and be structural sound weld or just slag deposit?

Now drill brings a whole new set of problems when drilling into an I-beam frame. Where will the drilled hole be place near the edge and or in the web of the I-Beam. These type of holes may lead to fatigue stress of the frame and crack it over time.

Why do you think you need the stabilizing supports?

Do you extend the hydraulic rams to their full length? If so try to shorten up the ram extended legs; by placing Lynx Level pads or wooded blocks under the ram legs. I use between three and four pads under the rear legs. On the front legs I like to spread out the weight of the fiver by using a 2X8X12" long and two 4X4x12" long cedar post screwed and glued to the wooden board.

My wife has never complained about me walking around in our 34RL when we are set up.

You can also install two X-Chocks between the wheels for additional stability if you think you needed it.

Also remember you will need to cut away the outside wall wrapper that covers the frame on your Cedar Creek. This too may cause you issues down the road.
Old 08-30-2016, 11:30 AM   #15
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

The drilling occurs on the i beam flats no on the web.

My mounts were pre installed by lippert and welded.

2015 Columbus 320RS
2008 2500HD Duramax
2015 nights camped "34"
2016 nights camped "32"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 02:15 PM   #16

Had the JT Strongarms on my last 5er Made a big difference. I installed them in a few hours. No welding or strange tools needed. Highly recommend JT.

Don't have them on my current Coachman since the 6 point system is handling things rather well.
ottawapaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 04:04 PM   #17
Site Team - Lou

I put these on. Sold by http://winfieldrvproducts.com/landin...tabilizer.html

They work great; take about 15 minutes to install with no drilling.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 08:23 PM   #18

I purchased the steady fast system for our 272 bhs vibe although we don't have the 6 point leveler system it was a breeze to install and most definitely works takes out 90% of the bounce and movement . Extreamly happy with it.

Clancy vibe272bhs
timothy clancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 10:47 PM   #19

JTs

wife asked me to get something to stop movement in front of 5er. tried the tripod, just OK. bought JTs and put them only on front. very good. now will move onto the front sides and rear. I think they will be great
very easy install.

NOW do not forget to loosen the bolts before retracting.
bbaker2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 11:13 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
I put these on. Sold by http://winfieldrvproducts.com/landin...tabilizer.html

They work great; take about 15 minutes to install with no drilling.
Bookmarking this company - nice option! Thanks for sharing
2014 Wildwood 231RBXL - Traded Her In
2016 Days Camped = 5; Reserved = 14 so far
2015 Days Camped = 24 / 2014 Days Camped = 23
Mrs Evans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led