Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2021, 05:06 PM   #1

Are our door hinges failing?

We have a brand new CC Cottage. Recently I noticed one of the hinges for the screen door was busted. When looking at it closer I can see three other hinges for the door cracked too. They seem intact and there is no problem opening or closing the door. Are these cracks to be expected or do we have another warranty issue to deal with?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1965.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	506.1 KB
ID:	248745   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1967.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	505.6 KB
ID:	248746   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1968.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	454.3 KB
ID:	248747   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1969.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	470.6 KB
ID:	248748  

2021 Cedar Creek Cottage 40CRS
SacRV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 11:42 AM   #2

Maybe I'm missing something but I don't see the cracks you are talking about. I do see some sloppy spot welding.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 01:20 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
Maybe I'm missing something but I don't see the cracks you are talking about. I do see some sloppy spot welding.
I agree it looks like a pretty bad job of welding. However I wonder why, unless when they formed that bracket it was undersized enough to not fully touch at the gap. So they tried to weld it together so the gap appeared to be minimal. The hole would have to have been machined after the weld job to assure the hole wasn't compromised which would have made it difficult to rotate around the pin.

I think I would ask for them to be replaced for appearance sake especially if still under warranty.

2018 Cedar Creek 36CK2 (40.5ft)
TST Cap System (Tire Monitoring)
2021 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab 4X4 DRW Duramax (replaced 2015 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 4X4 Duramax)
Curt A25 5th Wheel Hitch (replaced Demco 18K Auto-slide)
LittleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 01:35 PM   #4

That's not a spot weld, that is hard grease. Those are friction hinges that are designed to stay where you leave them. The relief in the hinge is so it can flex without breaking. it does appear that they forgot to attach one of the leaf's though.
Scrpstl Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 01:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrpstl Bill View Post
That's not a spot weld, that is hard grease. Those are friction hinges that are designed to stay where you leave them. The relief in the hinge is so it can flex without breaking. it does appear that they forgot to attach one of the leaf's though.
I missed seeing that the one leaf was not attached.

2021 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab 4X4 DRW Duramax (replaced 2015 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 4X4 Duramax)
Old 03-03-2021, 02:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBill View Post
I missed seeing that the one leaf was not attached.
I have those hinges on mine, i really don't like them at all. On one hand they are nice that they don't go flying out of your hand on a windy day. On the other hand they feel like they are going to break every time you move them.
Scrpstl Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 02:26 PM   #7

Ok, so it sounds like the hinges are structurally sound, just lacking in esthetics.

The one missing at the bottom was connected to the screen door and is completely sheered off. I will be submitting a warranty claim with CC for the screen door. But to my understanding the entire door and screen door have to be replaced.

2021 Cedar Creek Cottage 40CRS
SacRV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 04:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacRV View Post
Ok, so it sounds like the hinges are structurally sound, just lacking in esthetics.

The one missing at the bottom was connected to the screen door and is completely sheered off. I will be submitting a warranty claim with CC for the screen door. But to my understanding the entire door and screen door have to be replaced.
Most likely. My door wouldn't swing freely as it should have, no matter how much lubricant was applied. Also found that the inside of that door was separating from the outside framework as you opened the door. Didn't leak or anything like that but just wasn't right. While I had it at Amish Family RV it got replaced under warranty, as Orvan went to the factory and secured a new one to replace it with.

Good luck with yours -

Old 03-05-2021, 08:03 PM   #9
GS1

Door hinges

This doesn't pertain to the entry door, but our basement door connections with the lifts on our Cedar Creek Hathaway 34RL2 were pulling out of the door - once this started happening, the door alignment was affected so when closing, the door started to hit the frame. Mentioned this to another camper that also had a Cedar Creek Silverback and he had the same problem. He fixed with a larger plate affixed to the door then the lift hinge connected to that. Sturdy with no issues. Hope this helps someone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CC door hinge (2).jpg
Views:	26
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	248962  
GS1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door