Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2017, 03:37 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Venice, FL Area
Posts: 329
See the attached picture: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...1&d=1446300452

Note the difference of the shackle on the left from the shackle on the right. One is up and one is down.
__________________
18 Berkshire 34QS, 2018 Jeep Cherokee.

btritschler1437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 03:47 PM   #22
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Warsaw,NC
Posts: 7,184
The person that was installing the disk brakes did that on one side. I have lifted two tires off the ground more than once but never had that to happen. I think I'll start carrying a four foot section of wood to put under the tires on the low side. I'll try to get camper as level as I can before I hit the level up button
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 04:06 PM   #23
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
But what?

???
Well, it's two feet longer than I wanted, the decor is not quite awesome, the pullout mattress is terrible, the bedroom is smaller by a shade..

But I love the ability for a third ac, better build quality, frog rallies, better bathroom, full body paint, rear cap, price.
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 04:38 PM   #24
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: East Berlin
Posts: 732
btritschler1437 Yep that's exactly what it looks like it happened on both sides. While I hope it never happens to anyone thanks for the picture it is hard to explain.
Rich5117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 09:52 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Minnesota, St. Paul suburb
Posts: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich5117 View Post
btritschler1437 Yep that's exactly what it looks like it happened on both sides. While I hope it never happens to anyone thanks for the picture it is hard to explain.
I had the same experience of flipping the shackles on our new Silverback during the first trip when the side to side was way off, probably a 2" - 4" difference, and the auto level lifted the wheels off the ground on one side. I have always carried leveling boards to go under the wheels of my SOB with manual jacks however I just thought the auto level could handle the difference. The reality is there is a limit to how much difference there can be from side to side. I recently purchased a couple of manual bubble levels and plan to put them where I can see the side to side difference before I initiate the auto level.

One thing for sure is don't try to move the rig without correcting the shackles. It would make a bad day a really bad expensive day.
__________________
2018 Cedar Creek Silverback 29IK
18 Silverado 3500 HD Dually 6.6 Duramax 4X4
Ultimate Aluminum 5th Wheel Hitch, TST tire monitors w/repeater
Semi-Retired February 3, 2014
Bob & Cindy
Lvn2tvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 11:16 AM   #26
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 88
Modified Procedure

Quote:
Originally Posted by florabama View Post
At a little closer detail.

1. Park
2. Plug in to shore power if available
3. Unhook from truck, cables, hitch release etc.
4. Lower front landing jacks until pin box is clear of hitch
5. Move truck out of the way
6. Push Auto Level button
7. I place a 2x8x8 black under each jack pad (landing gear also)
Done.
If the trailer is on a slop either left to right you may have to place board(s) under wheels on the lower side. I don't let the wheel come off the ground; this is when you need to add something under the wheels then level again.
My procedure is a little different than Florabama's:
1. Park
2. Unhook from truck, cables, hitch release etc.
4. Lower front landing jacks until weight is off of the pin box
5. Move truck out of the way
6. Push Auto Level button
7. Wait for the red light to start flashing
8. Swear
8. Open door, lower stairs, go inside and acknowledge the "system time out"
9. Push the Auto level button again
Done.
crrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 09:43 PM   #27
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: NE Wyoming
Posts: 143
I carry an eight foot stick to check level side to side. If more than a couple inches difference I roll the low side wheels up on a couple of 2"x10" boards. Then I drop the front jacks and take the weight off the hitch. I disconnect the truck from the trailer. Then I do the auto level. The only problem I have had with auto level was when I had about 6" difference side to side. Then it was rodeo time and my Silverback almost took a trip down the road by itself. I don't leave the control panel unattended.
Grumpy7159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 10:17 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
NMWildcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Southern NM
Posts: 7,041
We boondock in very unlevel areas frequently. Both tires on one side are off the ground for weeks at a time. It used to bother me enough to use boards, but now I don't even worry about it. Of course I don't have the ez-flex shackles, and never had all four tires off the ground at the same time. Oh, I also have changed tires by using the level up jacks to raise that side off the ground. Haven't encountered any problems in six years.
__________________
Scott and Liz - Southern NM
2012 Wildcat Sterling 32RL - w/level up (best option ever)
2007 Chevy 2500HD 4dr short bed Duramax w/allison
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 11:34 PM   #29
Senior Member
 
jacknife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Ramona Ca
Posts: 279
The pump works on 12 volt. Unless your battery are low it should not matter .
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 10:54 PM   #30
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Space Coast of Florida
Posts: 3,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich5117 View Post
Unfortunately don't have pictures, but will try to explain as best as I can. Parked at a site in Cape Cod that was off level side to side. The left side was low which is the first side to level during auto level. During initial level the tires on the left were lifted off the ground approximately 4 inches. During the right side leveling the tires came off the ground around 2 inches. I might add I have never had this happen where both sets came off the ground. When both sets of tires came off the ground it allowed the axles to shift away from the center connection at the EZ Flex this allowed the small connector that attaches the spring to the EZ Flex to drop down on the rear axle, this connector is usually facing up. It would not reset by itself when the unit was lowered as the tires put equal pressure on the system when touching the ground. Had to have mobile repair come out to fix.

To repair had to place bottle jacks under front axle on both sides. The front axle was jacked as high as it could go, this pulled the EZ Flex connection away from the rear axle and straightened the small connecter at the spring. Then we took two 3 foot pry bars and pried up on the connector on each side which allowed it to spring up to its proper position.

Hope this makes since. I have since re-zeroed the auto level to just take any budge out of the tires. Also if we are at a site that is off level on the left I will now level manually. The mobile repair guy said he sees one or two a year. His suggestion was to not bring the tires off the ground, and if you must only one side. I have started carrying my 2x8 again to back up on before leveling.
This thread is a little old but Im going to regenerate here. I had the connectors on the rear axle on both sides get inverted today. I was messing with the auto level and my wheels came off the ground and I noticed the front wheel jump. Looked at it and found the connector on the rear axle on both sides were not in the right position. I remembered this post and said what a mess Im now in.

A camper next to me came over and was very helpful. Got his bottle jacks and we were about to have at it when he found this YouTube video https://youtu.be/mQrDd4tDkv8

In the video they jacked the opposite axle off the ground of the axle connector that was flipped so we then decided to take 3- 2x6s and stack them in front of
the front wheel and pull the RV up on to them instead of getting under the RV with bottle jacks. I only pulled it up on the 2x6s a couple inches when both connectors corrected themselves. Pretty easy.

I think if you can drive over uneven ground you can get them to correct. I remember once pulling out of my driveway and seeing the tire jump as I went over the uneven concrete from my driveway to the road. I thought I had a brake that hung for a second but after what I witnessed today I am sure it was a shackle correcting itself.

So, now I know and if you can help it, dont lift both sides off the ground at the same time. Auto-level will do that to you sometimes so be aware...
__________________
2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 40K+ miles
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab
Andersen Ultimate Hitch
RadMini Stepthru eBikes

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 09:39 AM   #31
Senior Member
 
NMWildcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Southern NM
Posts: 7,041
As mentioned in a previous post in this thread, I've been using auto level for 6 years. NEVER has the auto level caused both sides tires to come off the ground, don't care which side is the low side. The jacks that come down first are just grounded, then the other side grounds, THEN the level procedure starts. If your auto-level brings both sides off the ground, then you have some other problem going on.

As far as having one sides tires off the ground, we do that all the time, for weeks at a time. No problems ever. And yes, I've used the levelers to change tires multiple times, one side at a time.

Don't know why anybody would ever manually try to lift both sides off the ground at the same time. There is no need to that I can think of.

So I'm saying that if you cause your tandem axles center connectors to flip, YOU are doing something wrong. Can't really blame the auto level
__________________
Scott and Liz - Southern NM
2012 Wildcat Sterling 32RL - w/level up (best option ever)
2007 Chevy 2500HD 4dr short bed Duramax w/allison
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 05:52 PM   #32
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Space Coast of Florida
Posts: 3,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
As mentioned in a previous post in this thread, I've been using auto level for 6 years. NEVER has the auto level caused both sides tires to come off the ground, don't care which side is the low side. The jacks that come down first are just grounded, then the other side grounds, THEN the level procedure starts. If your auto-level brings both sides off the ground, then you have some other problem going on.

As far as having one sides tires off the ground, we do that all the time, for weeks at a time. No problems ever. And yes, I've used the levelers to change tires multiple times, one side at a time.

Don't know why anybody would ever manually try to lift both sides off the ground at the same time. There is no need to that I can think of.

So I'm saying that if you cause your tandem axles center connectors to flip, YOU are doing something wrong. Can't really blame the auto level
I agree that this happens when both sides lift off the ground. I am having an issue with my level up system and in the process of trying to manual level side to side I must have inadvertently lifted both sides off the ground. When this is done one axle will drop lower than the other and can invert the coupler. As long one side is on the ground the axle flex coupler will stay in place. I will be sure to never lift both sides off the ground in the future.

The main reason for my post was to tell how I fixed the issue without calling a mobile tech or crawling under the unit to jack up the rear axle on both sides of the 5th wheel..
__________________
2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 40K+ miles
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab
Andersen Ultimate Hitch
RadMini Stepthru eBikes

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 12:31 AM   #33
Senior Member
 
NMWildcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Southern NM
Posts: 7,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
I agree that this happens when both sides lift off the ground. I am having an issue with my level up system and in the process of trying to manual level side to side I must have inadvertently lifted both sides off the ground. When this is done one axle will drop lower than the other and can invert the coupler. As long one side is on the ground the axle flex coupler will stay in place. I will be sure to never lift both sides off the ground in the future.

The main reason for my post was to tell how I fixed the issue without calling a mobile tech or crawling under the unit to jack up the rear axle on both sides of the 5th wheel..
Your first post made it sound as though the auto level function caused both sides to come off the ground resulting in flipped connectors. My reply was to ensure folks that are researching auto levelers that the auto function will not do that. However, manual mode will do whatever you tell it to do
__________________
Scott and Liz - Southern NM
2012 Wildcat Sterling 32RL - w/level up (best option ever)
2007 Chevy 2500HD 4dr short bed Duramax w/allison
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 07:21 AM   #34
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Warsaw,NC
Posts: 7,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Your first post made it sound as though the auto level function caused both sides to come off the ground resulting in flipped connectors. My reply was to ensure folks that are researching auto levelers that the auto function will not do that. However, manual mode will do whatever you tell it to do


My DW always feels uncomfortable when the tires are off the ground on one side. We use pads under each jack and sometimes still one side will be off the ground. Doesnt bother me but sometimes do it all over again just to keep DW happy
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 08:47 AM   #35
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 35
I have noticed no one has mentioned a key step to the autolevel process. My understanding is that you are supposed to raise the coach so the nose is above level before you press autolevel. Interesting this is not mentioned on the Lippert site but CC says this on their site. see the link below:

Videos by Forest River RV

look for the video titled: Lippert Leveling System Level Up Six-Point RV Leveling System Operation

pay particular attention to the 2:40 mark
theczar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 09:40 AM   #36
Senior Member
 
Witch Doctor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Clarksville Va.
Posts: 10,400
This is true, but you have to raise it above level to unhook. Never had a problem yet with the auto recall.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theczar View Post
I have noticed no one has mentioned a key step to the autolevel process. My understanding is that you are supposed to raise the coach so the nose is above level before you press autolevel. Interesting this is not mentioned on the Lippert site but CC says this on their site. see the link below:

Videos by Forest River RV

look for the video titled: Lippert Leveling System Level Up Six-Point RV Leveling System Operation

pay particular attention to the 2:40 mark
__________________
Coachmen M/H
Concord
2018 / 300 DSC

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 09:47 AM   #37
Senior Member
 
BandJCarm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Between Pickles Gap and Toad Suck, AR
Posts: 6,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by theczar View Post
I have noticed no one has mentioned a key step to the autolevel process. My understanding is that you are supposed to raise the coach so the nose is above level before you press autolevel. Interesting this is not mentioned on the Lippert site but CC says this on their site. see the link below:

Videos by Forest River RV

look for the video titled: Lippert Leveling System Level Up Six-Point RV Leveling System Operation

pay particular attention to the 2:40 mark
Yes you have to follow the instructions. But in two years I've never had to move the starting point after unhooking, in order to get the autolevel to work.

It's the #1 reason I bought this thing. #2 is the residential refrig.

I'm at my grandson's for his graduation. They have a little Wildwood. I was watching him walk around trying to get his level. I laughed inside thinking how cool the 6 point hydraulic auto level is!!!!
__________________
"Next to prayer, fishing is the most personal relationship of man" Herbert Hoover
"American by Birth, Southern by the Grace of God"Lewis Grizzard

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 10:00 AM   #38
Senior Member
 
NMWildcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Southern NM
Posts: 7,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by theczar View Post
I have noticed no one has mentioned a key step to the autolevel process. My understanding is that you are supposed to raise the coach so the nose is above level before you press autolevel.
In the almost seven years we have been using autolevel, we have never found this to be necessary. We boondock in very unlevel areas so the nose is not always above level when we unhook, or start autolevel. Never had a problem with autolevel, yet

I'm assuming most 6point control boards are the same, but it's possible our early generation programming is different than later generations.

It's like most advise in forums, look for new information, but in the end do what you know works for you and your equipment.
__________________
Scott and Liz - Southern NM
2012 Wildcat Sterling 32RL - w/level up (best option ever)
2007 Chevy 2500HD 4dr short bed Duramax w/allison
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 10:02 AM   #39
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: East Berlin
Posts: 732
Auto level procedure..

Ran into our first time that could not use the auto level. Was at Joe Wheeler State Park in Alabama, beautiful park by the way great stripper fishing. Site was level but a bit short, got back as far as I could, but front was still on slope. Auto level could not get far enough below level to complete leveling, had to abort two time as front jacks would have bottomed out. Was an unusual condition, but they do sometimes happen. So it's a good thing to take the time to learn how to do a manual level as well.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1652.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	473.9 KB
ID:	170796
Rich5117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 09:42 AM   #40
Senior Member
 
Gsykora's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich5117 View Post
Ran into our first time that could not use the auto level. Was at Joe Wheeler State Park in Alabama, beautiful park by the way great stripper fishing. Site was level but a bit short, got back as far as I could, but front was still on slope. Auto level could not get far enough below level to complete leveling, had to abort two time as front jacks would have bottomed out. Was an unusual condition, but they do sometimes happen. So it's a good thing to take the time to learn how to do a manual level as well.

Attachment 170796


Nice fish
__________________
George & Nancy, Allen, Texas
2015 F350 CC, DRW, LB, Platinum Edition
2018 Cedar Creek 36CK2


Gsykora is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:20 AM.