Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2014, 10:35 PM   #21
Plain Old Member

Gotcha. Hopefully with some of Vince's info, you could drop them a hint. I know a lot of dealers don't like you telling them how to fix something. Kind of like telling a doctor how to diagnose. However, I don't mind hurting their feelings sometimes. In most cases, a good dealer will somewhat listen. Kind of like the popping sound I had read about in the level up system. Mine was doing that. My dealer hadn't dealt with it, or at least the tech hadn't. I had some information from Lippert on how to fix it. I gave it to the dealer, which welcomed the info, they contacted lippert, and all is well now. I would have done it myself, but the camper was there to fix cracks in the fiberglass cap anyway. I've learned a lot of stuff from "good" RV techs, and I've showed others a thing or two that they didn't know.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 10:56 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac623
Thanks for the post VinceU....Do you have any additional information? I'd love to be able to provide it to the dealer to shorten the process. Our condo lease runs out soon and we're taking that opportunity to go full time, so time is definitely of the essence for us to get this problem fixed
Yes, the only common denominator between slides and leveler sysrems is the pump and its controls including valves and direction controls (electronics). Since your problem started with the auto portion, I assume all devices are hydraulic positioned, but controlled by electric/electronic devices at and from the pump. I would call the systems mfg sevice/engineering dept., they have the best chance of figuring it out. Be persistant and provide all symtoms then and now. They will want voltages available and oil tank levels when it failed.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 11:49 AM   #23
Mddle of the Rd Extremist

feed back is very much appreciated, VinceU

Thanks for all your knowledge on this subject. Passed it along to my service consultant this morning. This particular dealership has a stellar reputation in Jacksonville for customer service, so we're hoping for a speedy and positive outcome. The folks on this forum are awesome! Thanks again and as soon I hear something, I'll post it here
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2013 RAM 3500 6.7L diesel DRW Crew Cab
"When you get to the fork in the road, take it....."
MeepMeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 07:38 PM   #24

Got the call from "Bob" today, telling me my rig is ready to pick up. After nearly two months, they "could not duplicate" the problem. In the dealer's conversations with Lippert, they were told that unless there was an actual hard fault, they would have no idea what could have caused this crazy malfunction. So there it is - 'til it happens again.

This is one Cedar Creek owner that is NOT going to use anything resembling "automatic" mode when hooking up or dropping off. Just don't trust it anymore....be my luck to be a hundred miles from anywhere when the system decides to fail and stay that way
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
Old 03-12-2014, 09:13 PM   #25
Plain Old Member

Well, glad to hear an update. I was hoping they would resolve it, but the response sounds pretty typical. I've heard the same lines on other things. Can't duplicate it, or, the famous one, that's the first time we've ever seen this. I'd rather be called an idiot as usually I or most other people on this forum know when they approach something like this, that a dealer and / or Lippert has in fact seen this, yet they choose to dodge it for some reason. Maybe they haven't, but Lippert if anybody should know since there are 1000's of these things in use.

Nothing to do with the level up, but, in the last few years I've questioned several dealers on some things that I already knew the answers to, and knew the information was wide spread among certain brands and forums. In other words, you'd think everybody knew since it's all over the interweb. Sorry, I just have fun seeing what dealers really know. And, the famous answer again, that's the first we've heard of this. You mean ?????? motorhomes has been repairing cracked fiberglass sides and roofs for years now, still hasn't fixed the problem, and you don't know about it? This answer came from one of the biggest dealers in the southern states. That said dealer had a very expensive good looking bus on their show room floor, used. I walked the salesman around pointing out certain things like expansion joints in the side walls didn't come on it when it was new that year, and aluminum radius roof caps, which also didn't come on that year model, as they had swapped to a fiberglass radius on the one piece roof. This unit had all kinds of "fixes" on it. In other words, they either don't know, are playing dumb, or are trying to blow smoke. Who knows.

Off the soap box, just not happy with the answer they gave you. Wondered off a little on that one. I think if you dig a little deeper, you will eventually find someone that has had that problem, and knows the answers. Somebody that knows the system, yet doesn't sell RV's. I wish I could help.
Old 03-13-2014, 04:26 PM   #26

John - thanks for your empathy and your input on this (and other) issues. I can understand the difficulty in chasing an intermittent fault like this, but, like you, don't understand the manufacturer not fessing up when WE all know this problem has been seen before (see VunceU's post #22).....

I think I mentioned before that I was a squadron maintenance chief before retiring from the Navy in '87. I saw my share of "could not duplicate" sign offs, so I'm sorta familiar with what the technician is up against, but we ALWAYS had the manufacturers' data bases to refer back to, to see if anyone else had ever had the same, or similar problem. I guess it's different in the RV world. Thanks to forums like this, we can at least communicate our concerns with each other and perhaps, as I've seen so many times already, present plausible solutions.

While serving on USS Dwight D. Eisenhower, I once had my Squadron CO come back off a flight and look at me sheepishly as he wrote up his discrepancy, all-the-while cautioning me to keep a straight face as he pushed it toward me at the maintenance control desk. His gripe read - I kid you not - "Pilot's relief tube too short". I almost lost it, but I knew exactly what he meant. While the techs fixed the relief tube correctly, I allowed some "flexibility" in the sign off. Next time the skipper reviewed the log book for this airplane he saw the corrective action taken was "Changed pilots. Checks good."

Sometimes it really, really helps to have a sense of humor......
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
Old 03-13-2014, 09:03 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac623
John - thanks for your empathy and your input on this (and other) issues. I can understand the difficulty in chasing an intermittent fault like this, but, like you, don't understand the manufacturer not fessing up when WE all know this problem has been seen before (see VunceU's post #22).....

I think I mentioned before that I was a squadron maintenance chief before retiring from the Navy in '87. I saw my share of "could not duplicate" sign offs, so I'm sorta familiar with what the technician is up against, but we ALWAYS had the manufacturers' data bases to refer back to, to see if anyone else had ever had the same, or similar problem. I guess it's different in the RV world. Thanks to forums like this, we can at least communicate our concerns with each other and perhaps, as I've seen so many times already, present plausible solutions.

While serving on USS Dwight D. Eisenhower, I once had my Squadron CO come back off a flight and look at me sheepishly as he wrote up his discrepancy, all-the-while cautioning me to keep a straight face as he pushed it toward me at the maintenance control desk. His gripe read - I kid you not - "Pilot's relief tube too short". I almost lost it, but I knew exactly what he meant. While the techs fixed the relief tube correctly, I allowed some "flexibility" in the sign off. Next time the skipper reviewed the log book for this airplane he saw the corrective action taken was "Changed pilots. Checks good."

Perfect, to deal with some of these vendors, you must a Good sense of humor!
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:50 PM   #28
Plain Old Member

I agree. Thinking back over all the hurdles and aggravation we went through with the motorhomes, dealers and factories. Now, we can sit back and laugh about it, and they make good stories to tell. I just remembered when I was had the dealer last time home getting mine back, we had a conversation about the level up. They had dealt with a level-up system on a Mobile Suites that decided to lower the landing jacks on its own, all the way down. Luckilly they never had the truck under it. They too, could not get it to duplicate at first, but, they finally did get it fixed. I just don't remember what he said they had to do. Only problem I had with mine so far is the popping noise, which is still there, but not as bad now that they've put the fluid additive in the tank. Lippert was well aware of that problem.
Old 03-14-2014, 12:41 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac623 View Post

Very funny! One of my class mates in USAF pilot training landed after his first solo flight. His write up was something like, "small bird ingested in numer one engine". Our first aircraft we flew in pilot training was the little twin engine jet T-37 made by Cessna. The corrective action response written by the crew chief was, "Blood and feathers found. Kill confirmed."

Have a good day and keep on a-grinnin'!
2013 Chevy 3500HD, D/A, DRW, 4X4
WeRCreekers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide