Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2019, 03:04 PM   #1

Auto Levelers.

I own a 2012 Forest River with auto leveling. All works well when the ground is close to level.

Question is when I back into a campsite that is running downhill. When I do auto level it will bottom out in front due to the steep slope. I drove the trailer on boards but never could level the trailer. So I manually brought the back levels down just for stability.

Does anyone have ideas?
TexasGolfBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 03:10 PM   #2

maybe adding blocks under the jacks so they don't go beyond full travel is the answer
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 03:24 PM   #3
Always Learning

A front to back slope that it's bottoming out the landing gear would be a conundrum. I would first try adjusting where I'm parked on the site but then I do think adding boards under the tires is the only possible answer.
Old 01-07-2019, 06:40 PM   #4

We have short pieces of 4/4 to place under the jacks plus plastic pads. I normally look at how well the site is level and then place the plastic pads under each jack. My level up system thinks every campground we stay in that all the sites are level.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 11:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
A front to back slope that it's bottoming out the landing gear would be a conundrum. I would first try adjusting where I'm parked on the site but then I do think adding boards under the tires is the only possible answer.
What did but stacked boards 2 high and that's all I could do? Thank you much.
TexasGolfBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 11:14 PM   #6
Coach

Have you tried leveling it manually? Auto level tends to extend the jacks further out than necessary. Not an issue on level or close to level sites, but too much for steeper slopes. I agree that blocking up the rear legs should help, but if you don't have blocking available, running it manually may get you where you need to be.

2017 Sandpiper 381RBOK
2006 Ram 3500 Cummins Dually
valleyduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 07:12 AM   #7

We noticed the same issues.

Since we started carrying many leveling blocks all seems better.

We would put 8” of blocks under the rear pads. 2 8”x8”s (I have 5)screwed together. Sometimes the DW has to use the pad to manually override.

I use 5 LEGO style on the other side under the rear levelers.

On the last trip we were overnighting and did not remove the fiver from the truck. DW raised the rear levelers manually to level us for overnight.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 11:24 AM   #8

I agree with spock123 that in order to level a trailer you need to add blocks or pads of some type under all of the legs. I have never had any issues with the auto leveling system not working and keeping us level. Another reason why I use pads under the legs is to keep the hydraulic rams as short as possible from their closed position. This helps with the motion of the trailer when level and keeps the rams bending moment down.

I place one to two 2X8 boards 8" long with two 4X4 blocks 8" long under each front stabilizer. I will have between 5" and 6-1/2" of wood under each front jack leg. I will than place up to 5 Lego style plastic pads under each rear hydraulic ram before starting the auto- level procedure, with a minimum of two pads. I have had at some times had one side lift the tires off of the ground but that is OK with me, the trailer is level and stable.
Old 01-09-2019, 11:36 AM   #9
Always Learning

On a front-to-back slope where the front is bottoming out, wouldn't adding blocks to the front landing gear just exacerbate the problem?
Old 01-09-2019, 07:45 PM   #10

Quote:
On a front-to-back slope where the front is bottoming out, wouldn't adding blocks to the front landing gear just exacerbate the problem?
X2 - question for the OP. Is this a TT or Fifth? Usual procedure for a Fifth Wheel on front landing legs as part of disconnecting from the TV you pull the pins to drop the legs. Instead of doing this lower the landing gear to the ground with just the electric/hydraulics. This will give you more stroke to lower the front back down.
B&W Companion 20K for OEM pucks.
SecretSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 11:50 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretSquirrel View Post
X2 - question for the OP. Is this a TT or Fifth? Usual procedure for a Fifth Wheel on front landing legs as part of disconnecting from the TV you pull the pins to drop the legs. Instead of doing this lower the landing gear to the ground with just the electric/hydraulics. This will give you more stroke to lower the front back down.
Since this was posted in the Cedar Creek threads I would think it was a fifth wheel. Now with the Cedar Creeks at least with the optional auto levelers form say 2015 and up, the front legs do not have any pins for adjusting the legs. The rams are solid and you simply adjust the height of the legs by extending the rams from the cylinder.
Old 01-11-2019, 03:21 PM   #12

I always use 8x12 cedar blocks if it even looks uneven. If by chance the jacks bottom out I reset and go to manual and level them manually. Once I'm done doing it manually I then do an auto level it seems to work. Beest
Old 01-11-2019, 04:15 PM   #13

Quote:
X2

Quote:
I believe it would indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGolfBum View Post
I own a 2012 Forest River with auto leveling. All works well when the ground is close to level.

Question is when I back into a campsite that is running downhill. When I do auto level it will bottom out in front due to the steep slope. I drove the trailer on boards but never could level the trailer. So I manually brought the back levels down just for stability.

Does anyone have ideas?
If the slope is that steep and the above ideas don't work then, blocking under the wheels & rear levelers and then manually lower the rear levelers to raise the rear of the trailer up to as close to level as possible. Keep in mind though, the hydraulic rams are strong enough to lift the entire 5th wheel off the ground and if on a steep enough slope, if the tires come off the ground it could defeat your tire chocks and slide down the hill.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 05:01 PM   #14

We mainly boondock in the backwoods. Some sites are very unlevel but we have never had any jacks ground out completely. And we have never had the auto level fail to perform correctly when we use Lynx blocks appropriately.

I do believe if the slope was that severe to cause the front landing jacks to withdraw completely, I would look for a new spot

If you have problems with auto level, first perform the zero level procedure. If that doesn't help, call the Lippert tech support line and they will walk you through some diagnostic steps. When I did that for myself and friends, they even sent me parts to fix problems... FOR FREE!
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 06:56 PM   #15

The worst out of level spot I've ever camped on was where they stuck me on the side of a hill at the Goshen FR rally in 2017. I had to go to a lumber store and buy $40 worth of 2x8 because my level up had my drivers side camper tires about 5 inches off the ground. Never going there again.
Since then, I carry a dozen or more blocks of varying thickness to put under my hydraulic pads when leveling.

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
USS Pyro AE-24 WestPac MM2 '71-'75
SlowrideHD is offline   Reply With Quote