Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2017, 05:21 PM   #21

Battery corrosion

I mix baking soda with water and pour it around the base of my batteries but I don't rinse it off like some other posts mentioned. I just let it dry into a white paste in the bottom of the battery rack. The paste neutralizes any acid that seeps down. I rinse it out and replace it several times a year.

I am careful, however, not to get any baking soda on the top of the batteries which it can leak into the cells and neutralize the battery's acid charge.
hikerjohn7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 04:45 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDC View Post
Get some baking soda and an acid brush or new paint brush, bowl of warm water and add baking soda, paint this mixture onto where the paint is peeling and it will neutralize the acid, then rise with fresh water. You may want to get the converter checked to make sure it is not overcharging the batteries causing them to boil and emitting acidic gas that then condenses on the paint.
X2^^^ Painting without neutralizing the acid is an exercise in futility.
Old 09-16-2017, 06:24 AM   #23

There is a product, battery mat, that I have used to place under vehicle batteries to neutralize acidic accumulations. It worked quite well and for acouple of years. Available from several sources on the internet.
Old 09-16-2017, 07:20 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
These batteries fit but a razor blade wouldn't go between them. No way a battery box would fit for all four. I WISH it would, great idea!!!

One of my wanted mods, that will take a big effort by a body shop or some such, is to remove that door, cut out a BIG opening, put in a big door with a slam latch like the basement door........and a MOrryde sliding tray that fits, and make this accessible. I'd pay eleven or nine dollars for such a device.

Course, doing that.......I'd get it repainted.

As to the converter, the OEM WFCO 55amp converter was replaced with a Boondocker 65 amp converter. This 'outgassing' or leaking has occurred with both converters.

Short of just sticking some rags in there best I can, not sure what to do.

I looked at my Cedar Creek 32RL and it actually has a drain hole under the battery box that I assume let's the overflow drain out. After I got the battery watering system installed the leaking of my batteries stopped. I plan on having a friend make me a battery box out of aluminum and install in the front basement. What I'll have to do is install longer battery leads and a bigger gauge cable. I want to install an electric start generator in the bed of truck but with the mods I want to do I'll run out of room in the truck bed. I'm not putting anything on the back of camper. I plan on buying a new truck this year or next, a dually. But for now the batteries seem to be working, one thing for sure on my Creek you don't have to worry about the batteries staying in place on bad roads. The real problem at Cedar Creek and all the RV manufacturers is the people that design campers never stay in one.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 07:34 AM   #25
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
...I plan on having a friend make me a battery box out of aluminum ...
Aluminum is not a good match with battery acid or fumes. Might try for stainless. Alum might work if you bead blast it and have it powder coated inside and out.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:21 PM   #26

Well the battery box on my CC won't even hold 2x12's unless they are Group less than zero or something like that. But as luck would have it, I had 2z 12 volt AGM deep cycle's laying around (brand new) and I managed to stuff them in there somehow.

Point being I don't use the lead acid that require a water fill, I use the AGM and would suggest you go that route as the LA-water does cause some issues.

Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
'19 F 350 CC, LB King Ranch Ultimate
17 Oaks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery