Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2020, 04:24 PM   #1

Bedroom Slide Leak

It rained last night and this morning I noticed the carpet is a bit wet. We have a 2020 CC Silverback 31ik. From what I can tell the water ran down the rail into the bedroom...not a lot but any is too much. We have slide toppers and auto level which is level side to side but a bit low in the front. Should the slide be tilted a bit so the water runs to the outside or??? I'm thinking of putting a dab of silicon on the rail as a temp fix as we won't be back home till the 1st part of March. Thankfully here in San Diego and where we headed they don't get much rain.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0117201310.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	271.7 KB
ID:	221986   Click image for larger version

Name:	0117201309b.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	140.6 KB
ID:	221987  
jannjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 09:36 AM   #2

when you say rail are you talking bout the trim piece at the bottom of the slide box? if so that area on many rigs has been a source of water entry. a small bead of sealant along top of the trim may solve the problem. JMHO
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 01:45 PM   #3

The seal doesn't seal tight where the bottom rail meets the seal, just a bit of a gap. Sealant or a piece of electrical tape when it rains.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0117201309.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	222009  
Old 01-19-2020, 12:15 PM   #4

See they are back to using just a straight piece of aluminum rail. SeaDog's is correct this type of rail has been the cause of your described leak. This single rail can also allow water to soak into the ends of the slide-out flooring right below the rail and cause damage.

Our 2016 33IK has a piece of 1/8 " black right angle aluminum as the bottom rail and a small straight piece that formed a small 45 degree angle right where the slide meets the Rv this directs any water that may run down or back along the bottom rail away from it and stops it from going behind the seals.
Rich5117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 07:39 PM   #5

Did you fix your leak? I have a week old (to me) 21' CC 35lft Silverback with a leak in the exact same place. AND a leak on my kitchen slide dripping from the rear corner of the microwave!!

Planning of using some Quick Roof Ultra Bond for the top and clear silicone for the rest of the seems.

What was your fix?
Samson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 08:09 PM   #6

Dont use anything with silicone in it on a rv inside or outside.i use lexel for all seams on outside of rv it sticks to anything as long as its clean.
Gmoney67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 09:12 PM   #7

"Dont use anything with silicone in it on a rv inside or outside" ... you'd better get to the factory and let them know this as they've been slathering silicone based sealant on for some time now.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 11:59 PM   #8

Ill get right on that.
Gmoney67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 01:31 PM   #9

No, I haven't done anything about the leak yet. Put a piece of tape there when it rains. It's not a straight piece of metal, it's angle so it does cover the bottom.
Old 06-07-2021, 09:54 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannjim View Post
No, I haven't done anything about the leak yet. Put a piece of tape there when it rains. It's not a straight piece of metal, it's angle so it does cover the bottom.

Do you have an external locker on that slide? We discovered a leak in our bedroom slide which turned out to be due to no sealant around the external TV locker frame; loosened some of the screws and pumped Geocel into the gap then retightened the screws.
Hitechpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 02:20 PM   #11

Cedar Creek uses Geocel MHRV2300 sealant on the exterior. Never silicone. Geocel Proflex is the "retail consumer" version of the MHRV2300. A few tricks to using it but it is superior in all ways to products at the "big box" stores. Best of all it sticks to itself so you can reapply it to clean old material. On a new unit you can prep the surface with a high flash cleaner such as denatured alcohol. Lay your bead and then spray it with a soapy mixture and run you thumb or finger over it to tool it. A little blue painters tape on both sides of a joint yields a quality result. For resealing over existing joints, clean the old joint and material with mineral spirits and then wipe the joint with denatured alcohol. Once dry, apply the new Proflex over the old.
DeanV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 09:09 AM   #12
GS1

Went to Amish Family Service and Orvan said there has been a mfg change where they add some internal supports to keep the water out. Not sure if that update was done at the factory when your rig was built. We have a 2019 CC 34RL2 - we just returned from a 9300 mile trip and hit some nasty weather along the way - bedroom stayed dry. Sorry you're having issues.
GS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 03:24 PM   #13

Rotten Kitchen slide Floor

I doubt very much if any improvements were made by the factory, if the state of my kitchen slide floor is anything to go by! Despite regular checks, I failed to notice the problem with the floor until water started dripping from it following moderate rain. What I discovered shocked me; water was running down between the side fascia trims, and into the the gap between the bottom trim and the floor. FR in their wisdom had made weep holes in the bottom trim by drilling upwards, through the aluminium and the Eternabond into the wooden floor. This allowed the water to soak into the floor and caused it to rot. How you might ask did the water enter the vertical space between the fibreglass and fascia trim; that would be because someone didn’t apply both the Geocel sealant and the Eternabond to the rear vertical face of the top fascia trim and slide roof joint.
As I’m in the U.K., I have had no alternative but to make the repairs myself, which has been further hampered by our lack of variety in sealing products.
It anyone at Forest River reads this, I hope you bow your head in shame at the quality of product and craftsmanship you are unleashing on your customers.
Hitechpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 07:23 AM   #14
Green Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitechpete View Post
I doubt very much if any improvements were made by the factory, if the state of my kitchen slide floor is anything to go by! Despite regular checks, I failed to notice the problem with the floor until water started dripping from it following moderate rain. What I discovered shocked me; water was running down between the side fascia trims, and into the the gap between the bottom trim and the floor. FR in their wisdom had made weep holes in the bottom trim by drilling upwards, through the aluminium and the Eternabond into the wooden floor. This allowed the water to soak into the floor and caused it to rot. How you might ask did the water enter the vertical space between the fibreglass and fascia trim; that would be because someone didn’t apply both the Geocel sealant and the Eternabond to the rear vertical face of the top fascia trim and slide roof joint.
As I’m in the U.K., I have had no alternative but to make the repairs myself, which has been further hampered by our lack of variety in sealing products.
It anyone at Forest River reads this, I hope you bow your head in shame at the quality of product and craftsmanship you are unleashing on your customers.

Well i'm sure they didn't bow there heads, they most likely smiled as another unit was sold...
kevin211 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed, bedroom slide, leak, roo, slide