Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-01-2017, 07:18 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatdude62 View Post
Looking to purchase a portable generator for our CC 36ckts. Anyone have recommendations on brand and size? Save unit for electronics and It will run the air conditioners in an emergency.
I'm currently researching as well. If you haven't already, you might want to check out the Ryobi 2300 inverter generator with Bluetooth. It can be run in parallel if you need more power. I like the idea of having the remote start and stop capability but don't want the weight of a 3000 with those features. While the Ryobi doesn't have remote start, you can shut it down with your smart phone. As I understand it, you can also switch to/out of econ mode from the smart phone and check other generator stats as well. I'm not sure what I'll end up with but this one has piqued my interest.

If anyone has any first hand experience with the Ryobi, I'd like to hear about it.
MVFD Retired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 07:23 PM   #22

How much does the Champion 3100 weigh?
vmfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 11:35 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmfa View Post
How much does the Champion 3100 weigh?
https://www.championpowerequipment.c...ter-generator/

This has all the specs, the dry weight is about 83 pounds. Thanks to the well- positioned handles, I can easily lift it into the bed of my truck.
My only complaint is the small gas tank. This unit doesn't have a fuel pump, so adding an auxiliary tank is complicated.
DavidBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 08:42 AM   #24

We have two Champion 2000 inverter generators with a parallel kit. We dry camp a lot. Wanted the ability to run a/c and additional stuff (converter) if needed (which requires both paralleled). One runs most things by itself but will stall if we try to run 1200 watt microwave (which shoulder be within the 1500 watt running capacity) sometimes. But we are camping. We dont use micro very often. So the setup works very well for us. And the total cost for both gens and parallel kit was $1,100. About the price of one of the gold standard 2000 watt units.
Old 12-03-2017, 10:34 AM   #25

I run the Honda 2000 and the companion. I love them. Yes they are pricey but high quality, quiet, and lite, I use them every where. I also support the company that supports my family (Honda employee just a different division)
With that said my brother-in-law has the new Predator Series 2000 Watts, and he bought the conversion kit. They are compatible to the Hondas in every way I listed above except price, if you catch a sale they're half price. Consumer Reports rated the Predator brand as the Best Buy for the buck.
What ever brand you decide on... my personal opinion would be the two smaller lightweight that you can parallel. They are light enough that you can use them anywhere camping or not, and your spouse can easily move them around. If there is a catastrophic failure on one generator, you still have one left to get you through the remainder of your trip.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Fusefinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 11:52 AM   #26

We have a Champion 3100 non remote start unit, and love it. We have had it 3 years and it's been a very reliable unit. Runs our A/C along with pretty much everything we have thrown at it without issue..

2017 Surveyor 245BHS
2011 F250 6.2L Crew SB 4X4
mikakuja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 12:13 PM   #27

Champion 3400 is what I have with a remote and I love it. It starts my 15k BTU a/c easily without a hiccup. As long as batteries are over 90% charged, I can run microwave at same time as airconditioner.

I had a Boliy 3600 generator which claims 3000 watt continuous but in my experience is actually about 2500 watts. It is a decent option that is 68 lbs and quieter than a champion. It cannot be paralleled if you need more juice. My Boliy lasted about 7 years before it blew up and I got my money out of it. It is not a true 3k generator and it was difficult to start my a/c but once started ran it fine.

I'm not a big fan of parallel generators. Twice the maintenance and I don't think the smaller onces have electric start.

Anyway, good luck in your generator search.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 12:16 PM   #28

We have 2 Yamaha 2000i generators and I can recommend them. If you like to sit outside and relax while running them, I would highly recommend the Yamaha or Honda. That is why we spent the extra cash and we don't regret it for a second
Webfoot0807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 12:48 PM   #29

Another thing you have to "possibly consider" is whether the unit you are buying will fit under your truck bed topper or cover.. Many of the 3000 ish watt units are too tall to fit under many covered truck beds..( remember if your unit comes with optional wheels to figure that portion of what those raise the heights to.

I've posted elsewhere...but just my quick 2 cents. I've had about a year now my Firman inverter 3200 generator with normal run capacity of 2900 watts.. with in 1-2 decibels of the quietest.. with wheels and two handles..fits under most all truck bed toppers. Has a 3 year warranty from the US factory. Plus Costco's almost unlimited warranty.. And I think they are still $549 everyday price.. Most of their stores don't stock the Firmans.. you just order and they deliver to your house at no extra charge. Got it in just a few short days. Runs my 15k unit on my Cardinal.. no problem. Plus once started can do the a/c and water heater..and most anything else.. has digital meters built in etc. that on
William_Tell46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 07:24 PM   #30

Bought the champion 3500 duel fuel and no regrets. Very quiet smooth inverter generator. Fits easily under 2017 f350 bed retractable hard cover.
Love the propane fuel option. They are supposed to be introducing remote start on this model soon. The weight of roughly 100 pounds in no problem for the wife and I to handle loading activity. Highly recommended.
Boatdude62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator