Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2017, 01:14 PM   #1

Black water cable is broken again!

We have a 2014 CKTS and this is the second time we have had trouble with black water cable. After the rain stops will investigate to see if it's another major issue. Very frustrating!
Jokerbgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 01:25 PM   #2

Temporary fix once you get it open.

RV Parts And Accessories Holding Tank Drain Valve Black Water Waste Sewer Repair | eBay

Old 03-12-2017, 01:34 PM   #3

There must either be something wrong with the installation or something your doing. I replaced my black tank valve last year after 11 years simply because the lock nut finally broke for a second time.
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 08:07 AM   #4

Good temporary solution above. I bought one 2 years ago when I was using rv a lot ( summer ) and needed immediate fix. Valterra makes one with a visual port. Poop on the shoes and jeans does not make a HAPPY CAMPER!
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 08:15 AM   #5
Pickin', Campin', Mason

There are many reports of the cable actuated valves having problems.
The cables are often misrouted causing binding issues and it seems the inexpensive plastic housings the cable rides in often just doesn't hold up at the connection points.

If there is any way to remove the cable and install a rod I would try that or as mentioned above, installing a valve on the sewer termination port works too. You then just leave the factory valves open.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 12:21 PM   #6

FUBAR installation on 360IBL

The Black tank cable broke on our 360IBL after about a year. It was hard to pull or push from day 1. When I replaced it, I found that the black tank is mounted about 10 inches away from an I-beam cross brace. With length of the gate mechanism, it only left about 6 inches from the gate attachment and the cross brace. Therefore, the cable had to make a sharp 90 degree turn to be mounted to the gate. This 90 turn is what was causing the binding. Solution was to drill a 1/4" hole in the cross brace and give the cable a straight shot to the valve. Operates smooth as silk now.
Goferbroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 01:33 PM   #7

My blackwater valve quit working and wouldn't close all the way.
I cut a 3 sided flap in the underbelly (taped it up after the repair) where the vale is, pulled part of the storage wall down to get access to the cable and then replaced the whole system with a new valve and a single cable versus the twisted wire cable that came with the 5er.
FR installs the cheaper twisted wire cables and my new solid cable works and feels great. Much more direct acting.
Previously: 36' Country Coach
Havasu Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 03:06 PM   #8

Cable sourse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havasu Bill View Post
I cut a 3 sided flap in the underbelly (taped it up after the repair) where the vale is, pulled part of the storage wall down to get access to the cable and then replaced the whole system with a new valve and a single cable versus the twisted wire cable that came with the 5er.
FR installs the cheaper twisted wire cables and my new solid cable works and feels great. Much more direct acting.
Do you have a picture description, or source for the replacement?
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 03:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqparalegal1 View Post
Do you have a picture description, or source for the replacement?
Unfortunately I don't have a picture and didn't keep the packaging. I got it at my local RV repair place and they recommended it. It was a Valterra and it's easy to see the difference between the stock multi-strand wire versus the single hard strand. It's still very flexible for routing as well.
I thought I took a picture of it but don't find it.
The cable looks like this link but I bought the valve and cable together. This describes the cable as a SS inner wire.
2 PACK!!! New Rv Trailer Camper Valterra Actuated Waste Valve 48" Cable | eBay
Old 03-17-2017, 03:50 PM   #10

I changed out my black water cable last year. Changed from a stranded cable to à solid core cable and so far haven't had any issues. Will continue to keep external blade valve on just in case...
dkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 05:27 PM   #11

This is what I did on my 2011 fifth wheel from the day I got it. Never trusted that cable. So I got an external manual valve on the end of the pipe. Kept that closed, and when ready to dump just pulled it, then did the greys. I might even do that with this one. I never want that sucker to break when it's mainly closed.
Mdaniels4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 09:47 AM   #12

Quote:
Just went thru this last weekend on my new CC. Finally got it working somewhat using LOTS of WD 40 down the cable, but opening and closing takes a LOT of muscle and I am in good shape. Twist and turn while pulling open or closing helps.

I can replace the cable, but I do not have a diagram of where things are at underneath and I don't want to go in just cutting things open. Is there a diagram anywhere that anyone knows of?
Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
'19 F 350 CC, LB King Ranch Ultimate
17 Oaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 09:58 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17 Oaks View Post
Just went thru this last weekend on my new CC. Finally got it working somewhat using LOTS of WD 40 down the cable, but opening and closing takes a LOT of muscle and I am in good shape. Twist and turn while pulling open or closing helps.

I can replace the cable, but I do not have a diagram of where things are at underneath and I don't want to go in just cutting things open. Is there a diagram anywhere that anyone knows of?

I pulled a few of the underbelly screws to be able to see in and locate the valve. I also pulled part of the wall down in the storage pass through to see and get access to the cable.

There are no diagrams that I'm aware of. Doing what I did it's readily apparent where the valve is. Mine is about 18" in from the sewer hose connection and about 12" to the front of the 5er.
Good luck!
Bill
Old 04-17-2017, 08:07 PM   #14

Quote:
I pulled a few of the underbelly screws to be able to see in and locate the valve. I also pulled part of the wall down in the storage pass through to see and get access to the cable.

There are no diagrams that I'm aware of. Doing what I did it's readily apparent where the valve is. Mine is about 18" in from the sewer hose connection and about 12" to the front of the 5er.
Good luck!
Bill
That helps...
Old 04-21-2017, 10:13 AM   #15

Although I am not currently having any trouble - I think I will be looking into taking by cables out and lubricating them with heavy grease, reassembling and reinstalling.
I'd rather do it before I have a problem and my black tank is either full or worse (leaking and now have a hardened mess in the black tank)...
Thor Vegas 25.5
Randy’s Rod Shop & Fabrication
Big-Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 01:28 PM   #16

My black tank cable broke at handle. Replaced with solid cable versus stranded type. What I found when removing old cable was that the cable was not secured anywhere between the handle and valve. The stranded cable is to be secured around 18 inches before the valve so the entire cable assembly does not want to move instead of just the cable inside. This is according to the cable/valve manufacturer. Since changing to the solid cable it is one of the easiest valves I have ever used in an RV. Am going to change out other two over summer.
Rich5117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 03:49 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Foot View Post
Although I am not currently having any trouble - I think I will be looking into taking by cables out and lubricating them with heavy grease, reassembling and reinstalling.
I'd rather do it before I have a problem and my black tank is either full or worse (leaking and now have a hardened mess in the black tank)...
Tried that thinking lube would cure what issue there was, but lube is not the prob, its kinked due to the shortness and corners it has to make, maybe your results will be different????
Old 04-24-2017, 06:34 PM   #18
edt

I replace my stranded cable with manual valve just reach under unit no more roblems
edt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 09:00 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by edt View Post
I replace my stranded cable with manual valve just reach under unit no more roblems

On my 2018 33ik it comes with a external valve attached from the factory. The must have had too many complaints with the shitty problem
narrowsboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 09:22 PM   #20

Replaced mine with electric valve. No more aggrevation.
ba964 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, black water, cable, water