Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2016, 12:00 PM   #1

Boon Docking wth a residential Fridge

Good Morning from Northern Nevada,

DW and I are Real close to working a deal on a Cedar Creek 34RE. It has a Residential Refrigerator.

All things considered correct, Inverter works, 4 6 Volt batteries installed and installed correctly, charging correctly from the truck .. etc........ how long can I expect the batteries to last when not plugged and boondocking? I do have two Honda 2000 Generators with a 30 Amp bridge. Never leave home without them. Have used them to pump up batteries and charge cell phones/computers etc.

I have searched this forum and the general forum and can't seem to find the answer. I have however, found LOTS of good Info about the units and trouble shooting!

Thank you in advance!

Dave Homen
GpaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 12:25 PM   #2

Lots a variables in that question.

Size of batteries?
Power consumption of not only the fridge, but everything else you might use.

Hard to give a hard answer.

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
Old 01-25-2016, 12:56 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I can tell you that our residential fridge in our GT will go 6-8 hours without dropping more than a couple degrees WITHOUT any power. Forgot to turn on the inverter on our first trip out. Fridge was cold, ice still frozen. This was while we were traveling. Would imagine that with limited use, the fridge would last quite some time on just battery power, of course you have other things drawing on the batteries also, so it's going to be a trial and error kind of thing.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 01:17 PM   #4

Thanks to both. <Expletive> Starts with an "H" ....... didn't think that one all the way to the end. You are, of course, correct! I am thinking the biggest draw on the batteries, other than the fridge, for us, would be the heater. I replaced all the lights in my current fifth wheel with LED's and it had an immediate effect. The converter fan don't whine no moe with the lights on.

I think the fridge use would be limited while boon docking. Or at least now it certainly would be a major consideration when opening the door, to get in, get what you need and close it up.

Thanks Again!
Old 01-25-2016, 06:27 PM   #5

The fridge is just another item to draw down your batteries and forcing you to run the generator. When we boondock which is most of the time, I don't want to hear the generator running, so I am satisfied with the gas/120v absorbent fridge. Our works great and stays cold. it doesn't use very much propane and doesn't have much draw on my batteries. Remember, if you camp in cold or cooler weather, you will need to eventually run the furnace. Now you have 2 appliances that will draw fairly heavy from the batteries.

This is just my opinion. I would not buy the residential fridge. If it were me, I would opt for the large capacity 2 way fridge and pay the additional money to have it swapped into the RV. Then you are not dependent on running your generator or keeping the rig plugged in to keep your batteries charged up.
Explorer1016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 06:30 PM   #6
edt

You should have some way to check battery voltage to tell when you need to recharge
edt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 06:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by edt View Post
You should have some way to check battery voltage to tell when you need to recharge
I am hoping the idiot lights that show charge and tank levels works well enough to keep me up to speed.
Old 01-25-2016, 06:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer1016 View Post
The fridge is just another item to draw down your batteries and forcing you to run the generator. When we boondock which is most of the time, I don't want to hear the generator running, so I am satisfied with the gas/120v absorbent fridge. Our works great and stays cold. it doesn't use very much propane and doesn't have much draw on my batteries. Remember, if you camp in cold or cooler weather, you will need to eventually run the furnace. Now you have 2 appliances that will draw fairly heavy from the batteries.

This is just my opinion. I would not buy the residential fridge. If it were me, I would opt for the large capacity 2 way fridge and pay the additional money to have it swapped into the RV. Then you are not dependent on running your generator or keeping the rig plugged in to keep your batteries charged up.
We have been kicking that around too. The Montana's have all pretty much gone to the dual fridge. We will need to ask about having that put in the 34RE when we go that direction. Thanks!!!
Old 01-25-2016, 06:54 PM   #9

In my opinion you need propane for boondocking to save your battery capacity for other uses. For Every 120 watts the inverter will pull about 10 amps from your batteries. That adds up quickly.
Harkerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 06:54 PM   #10

My fridge is a 10 cu. ft double door Dometic 2 way. I know Norcold and Dometic both make a larger capacity double door unit (side by side) for the bigger class A rigs and towables for large families.

I installed a Trimetric 2030RV system monitor for my batteries. With the push of a button I can monitor every state of my batteries, volts, capacity, amp draw, charge rate etc. The indicator lights could be misleading when it comes to something as critical as battery state. My monitor didn't cost that much (maybe $150.00) and it was very simple to install. My battery compartment is right by my entry door so I installed the monitor on the side of my sink base which is right at the steps and by my water heater controls and slide controls. Bogart Engineering | manufacturer of the TriMetric battery monitor which measures volts, amps and amp-hours for battery systems
Explorer1016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 07:13 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpa-Dave View Post
I am hoping the idiot lights that show charge and tank levels works well enough to keep me up to speed.
If you are going to be boondocking with a rez fridge you are absolutely going to need a real battery monitor like the Trimetric or Victron or you will soon become a very UNHAPPY camper if you rely on idiot lights OR a voltmeter reading. Search for Victron or Trimetric here for more details.

BTW....I too would pay for a gas fridge for boondocking rather than put up with the hassle of a rez & charging. Occasionally is one thing but if that is how you camp most often then gas is the way to go.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 07:57 PM   #12

I have a huge residential fridge, a dedicated 2000 watt inverter, an additional 1000 watt inverter (TVs, cell phones, computers, CPAP, etc) and 4 12 Volt deep cycle batteries.

Just installed a Trimetric and would never be without it. No more worries...and the reefer is really no problem. Run the genny a couple of hours a day, but since I am doing that anyway I have an electric coffee maker and don't worry about starting up for a half hour more since it always is putting amps "in the bank." With the trimetric I always know where I stand.

The panel idiot lights...are for...idiots.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 08:13 PM   #13

Quote:
My fridge is a 10 cu. ft double door Dometic 2 way. I know Norcold and Dometic both make a larger capacity double door unit (side by side) for the bigger class A rigs and towables for large families.

I installed a Trimetric 2030RV system monitor for my batteries. With the push of a button I can monitor every state of my batteries, volts, capacity, amp draw, charge rate etc. The indicator lights could be misleading when it comes to something as critical as battery state. My monitor didn't cost that much (maybe $150.00) and it was very simple to install. My battery compartment is right by my entry door so I installed the monitor on the side of my sink base which is right at the steps and by my water heater controls and slide controls. Bogart Engineering | manufacturer of the TriMetric battery monitor which measures volts, amps and amp-hours for battery systems
Trimetric products are a great way to monitor many things about your battery including Ah-hours both in and out of the battery(s).
Old 01-25-2016, 08:16 PM   #14

We have observed several large class A motorhomes that travel with a Honda 2000 generator to avoid operating their built-in diesel generators while boondocking. Quietly provides power for recharging and refrigerator operation. Also eliminates noise and vibration of the internal generator.
Old 01-25-2016, 08:29 PM   #15

I have the whirlpool refrigerator. It is the 20 cubic foot. I have traveled 10 hours with no problems with inverter. I have installed a meter in the basement by taping off the hot side of the light in the water closet. I am comfortable based on my experience going 15 hours without any issues. Hope this helps using the inverter supplied by CC. This is with 4 - 6 volt batteries.
ttanous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 08:58 PM   #16

My Samsung 25 Cu.Ft French Door refrigerator uses an average of 2KWH per day measured on the 120 volt side. This is with inside temperatures averaging 72 degrees. It will use more as the temperature goes up. That equates to 180 Amp. Hr. of battery use every 24 hours. (180 x 12 volts x 92% efficiency for the inverter). Since you do not want to discharge your batteries more than 50%, it requires 360 Amp. Hr. battery capacity just for the fridge. The size of your battery bank and the exact usage of your particular fridge will determine your usable run-time.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 09:38 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:

x2!
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 11:56 PM   #18

Quote:

X2 - (at least)

If you are going to do any boondocking you will want this item made by Bogart Engineering. Trimetric 2030RV. Easy to install and it's an excellent way to monitor your battery in all the ways you will need. I looked at many different ones before settling on this one based on info on this forum.
Sure glad I did.

2008 Rockwood Sig Ultra Lite 8315SS
Livin the Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 08:17 AM   #19

Go Solar

On our houseboat, we use a Honda 2000 at the end of a 100 ft. 10 ga. extension cord to run our freezer (frige is gas). Nice and quiet. We run it about 6 mehours a day and that is enough even at 100 degrees. Google HandyBob's Blog and it will tell you everything you need to know about solar. I use solar on my trailer, and it runs everything but the AC and microwave on a 100 watt panel and two batteries. The Trimetric battery monitor is the right answer, even if you don't go solar.
mnoland30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 10:26 AM   #20

Quote:

Wow! Thank You! I would need an electrician to install, but that is not hard. Thanks again!

Tags
fridge