Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-25-2021, 08:41 AM   #21

Back when they did use formaldehyde it was mostly in the paneling on the walls and cabinet door panels. You could remove all the cabinet doors and see if that helps.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2021, 08:44 AM   #22
Fud

Drastic
Fud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2021, 09:08 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
As far as I know, formaldehyde hasn't been used in RV materials for years.

Here are several reports on the problem. read this. And this
some are worse than others. my wife has always been like a canary in a coalmine with RV's. When we are looking at new ones, we go inside and if her allergies don't trigger in 15 minutes it might be a contender to purchase.
In the mid 2000's we had a Glendale Titanium that was built in Canada. it was certified Formaldehyde free and we never had problems with allergies.
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2021, 09:24 AM   #24
Fud

Thank you.
Old 12-25-2021, 01:02 PM   #25

Camper Smell and Taste

We too have a 2020 Cedar Creek Champaign with the same smell and taste issues. Had it with two other Forrest River products as well. I believe it is gray tank fumes.Not Nasty enough to be black tank fumes. They use flapper valves on all the sinks and showers. I've replace them all to no avail. When I'm not using it, I fill tanks up 100% full and treat with deodorizer. This has pretty much stopped it. I bought an ozone machine to kill the odor that is inside. Your dead on with clothes and food. Even taste it in potatoe chips stored in RV. Basement same air space so it's in there as well. Also have a Thule 10ft awning on slide over TV that works intermittently.If your having trouble with that let me know I could write a book on that problem.
Jackfacente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2021, 01:14 PM   #26
Fud

Doesn’t smell like a tank smell more like varnish.
Old 12-25-2021, 08:49 PM   #27

It would be interesting to see how close the built dates of the two 2020 Champaigns are? Could be the same production run, with the same common problem.

Just ask each other, the build dates are listed on the side of the trailer.
USN 76-82
Retired Dept of Navy: Navy/USMC Flt Test Engineer
Splashes3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 05:50 AM   #28
Fud

Thank you
Old 12-26-2021, 06:25 PM   #29
Green Horn

we have a 2015 Silverback, we also have a smell in the kitchen cabinets.
kevin211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 04:57 PM   #30

Smell

We have a 2015 36ckts bought new and have had this smell since day 1 in hutch cabinets by refrigerator.Tried charcoal, airing out letting cabinet doors open and still have smell.Smells like a chemical of some type.It penetrates all food in bags{chips,pretzels,cookies}and boxes even when unopened after 8-10 days.
GaryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 05:12 PM   #31

We’ve had our trailer for just over a year and use it regularly. It still has the new trailer smell. Windows are open frequently when the weather is nice but it still persist. Glad we’re not the only ones with this issue.

2021 Cedar Creek Cottage 40CRS

Victron MultiPlus-II 12/3000/120-50 Solar installation
SacRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 05:20 PM   #32
Fud

Oh no. Smell didn’t go away? I am now trying all the things I know. Im leaving the fan on while the charcoal and baking soda is in there , underneath storage open and air purifier is running. I’m going leave all this going on while it in storage. Also sprayed a odor eliminator in cabinets today and left all them open. Hoping for the best. I don’t like having to take all the food and clothes out each use.
Old 12-27-2021, 05:28 PM   #33

We have a friend that had this issue in their new TT. They used this product. You can reuse this product multiple times. It reactivates in the microwave or the sun. It did work for him. They say it is 100% guaranteed or your money back (does that really happen?). Maybe worth a shot?

https://noodor.com/products/reusable...4aAic9EALw_wcB

2021 Surveyor 203rkle
2018 Chevy Silverado
Fastway e2 Hitch
wyodrums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 05:36 PM   #34
Fud

Thank you. Will definitely buy.
Old 12-28-2021, 12:50 AM   #35
Green Horn

When ours was at Orvan we had him rebuild the cabinet in the kitchen, He thinks it the glue they used.
kevin211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 07:28 PM   #36

The solution to your smell problem is as follows:

Buy 2 or 3 gallons of Ammonia lemon scented clean liquid. Place open bowls of this in the open cabinets, floor area, or anywhere else you think there is a build up of off gassing. Open all your cabinets as i mentioned. Close up the trailer for about 2-3 days and this should be done on hot days. This helps with the off gassing. The Ammonia will neutralize the smell. I know it sounds like a harsh treatment but it really does work. I had the same problem, did this and the smell virtually disappeared. After the treatment, just remove the bowls and toss out. It really does work. No smell of Ammonia either.
palomini-er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 07:48 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fud View Post
We ordered our 2021 forest river champagne fifth wheel and received nov 2020. The camper smell , very strong varnish , formaldehyde smell has not faded at all. Our food absorbs the odor when in cabinets and even it it’s stored in the refrigerator or freezer. Must throw away any food we have in it over 3 days. Our towels , sheets and clothes also have absorbed the odor. What can I do? I have bought airtight containers to sore food in but it doesn’t do any good. Has anyone else had this problem and how do I fix it. It can’t be healthy to breathe while staying in it. Help please.
Easy fix. Find a rental business and rent an ozone generator as used by businesses that specialize in clean-up after a fire.
They use ozone generators to eliminate the smell of the smoke/burned items after a fire and the work GREAT.
They are a small unit - about the size of a smaller suitcase, plug into a standard 120 volt wall outlet. Let it run a day or over night inside the camper (do NOT be in the camper when it's running) and then open the doors/widows and let it air out - a fan will speed airing. After maybe 3 hours, you can go in and you won't have any aroma.

OR BUY YOUR OWN OZONE GENERATOR AS THEY ARE NOT OVERLY EXPENSIVE.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=ozone+mac...s_ts-doa-p_4_5

Dakota 1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 07:50 PM   #38

Might want to look around for particle board. It's made with resins which may be off gassing. Even if it's inside of cabinets or storage areas, the smell can be overwhelming. You want to take care of the issue ... not cover it up with other odors. Try and find where the odor is coming from and get a good sealer to lock in the fumes. You may need more than one coat. Outgassing can take a VERY long time ... especially if you have the RV closed up for spans of time.
Mariana NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 07:53 PM   #39

For those with a modest aroma in a camper, the product OZIUM works well. It DESTORYS orders - doesn't mask them.

OZIUM is available (in spray cans and gel type containers) at Wal-Mart, Amazon and other retailers.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=ozium+smo...s_ts-doa-p_3_5
Dakota 1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 07:53 PM   #40

Smell

Ok an old trick from when I was a FEMA trailer inspector. This method will work on any smell Any. NEWS Paper lighty balled up a sheet at a time. You will need a few papers throw the paper balls all over the unit. Bed bath in the cabinets Avery where. Even some in the fridge. Turn on the AC shut the fridge door. Come back the next day pick up all the news paper and do it again. This will 💯 work. This method also works on fishy Igloo ice chest. And bad refers. The smells get absorbed by the paper. Don't ball the paper up tight!
Jomo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper