Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2022, 08:02 PM   #1

CC Cottage 2017 - Grey valve cable broken - Need help

Hi Everyone,

Today the grey bath tank dump valve cable broke. Upon opening the valve the cable right at the end of the handle broke off. I'm looking for guidance on how to find out the correct cable replacement and guidance on how to do so. I do get the sense that I have to get into removing an underbelly panel however have not crawled under there yet to see what kind of effort that is going to be. Difficult to find any kind of schematic with location of valve and cable replacement part numbers. Any help is appreciated. Thank you in advance, Bruce
stinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 08:36 AM   #2

welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered. It may be hard to find a part number so make sure you measure the cable length. Give some thought to replacing with a remote operated valve just something to think about. Removing the coroplast just takes time its not hard to do. JMHO
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 09:25 AM   #3

Welcome to the forum.

I don't know the answer to your question, but you might want to contact the Forest River Parts department. Your rig is new enough that they might know the part number and might even have the parts.
Old 09-26-2022, 06:28 AM   #4

Update

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for your replies. In doing enough research amongst the many web sites, forums and Youtube videos, I came to the conclusion I just had to get underneath and start poking around. I was able to assess that the underbelly panels were in managable sections and not one large entire piece. I removed about 6 small screws on one seam and was able to get into the underside. I carefully cut through the moisture barrier material, felt for and traced the cable to the valve. Boy did I get lucky and found the valve to be right on that seam I opened up. I then pulled down a portion of the adjacent panel and had full access. I also found the existing cable to be excesively long and becuase of that found it coiled in two sections. I measured what I believe to be the correct length using a shorter cable by 36". Traveled to the local RV store just a mile away and purchased a Valterra replacement. The replacement was the way to go and was able to install it in a manner which it now works with no binding. Shame FR used a braided cable in the original and the Valterra is a solid cable. What a difference. Once installed, it was just a matter of reveresing the opening method and duct taped the moisture barrier closed and screwed the panels back. Done! Took about 2.5 hours in all. Thanks for your feedback. Bruce
Old 09-26-2022, 08:50 AM   #5
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Great work and glad you got it fixed!

FR usually uses one cable/valve across many platforms so as you've found, if it is too long for your application, they just coil it up or even worse just zip tie it in a manner it binds and breaks.

Thanks for the feedback and letting us know the results.
Many come here asking questions but never follow through with a report on what fixed (or didn't) their issue.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 12:11 PM   #6

Update cont.

Thanks for the welcoming message. That's all I ever want is to gain a little knowledge to learn about what I don't know and be able to return the favor when I can. -Bruce

Tags
cable, valve