Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2018, 06:05 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilhouettePenny View Post
You cannot measure while hooked up to the truck. Nor can you have any jacks or stabilizing equipment deployed. Put all your gear in the trailer and unhook after a short 10 foot pull forward on the flattest hard surface you can find. Then level with the front landing gear only. Plumb Bob down from the kingpin to a start point. Then measure to the front leading/center edge of both front tires. If you use a laser sight tool just pivot from the plumb point. If using a tape measure simply mark a spot on the concrete with a pen marker and measure. Align the rear axle to the front axle using the center spindle point of reference. I'll post a pic tomorrow of the alignment equipment I'm putting on my trailer, it's part of the Joy Rider suspension improvement kit. It only raises the rig 1/2 inch.
Cool I'll be waiting, thx
Indy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 06:46 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC75 View Post
They are G614's with almost 30K miles on them.
Wow, 30 thousand miles on a set of trailer tires. That's great....how many years of service ?

He who dies with the most tools, wins!
SilhouettePenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 09:03 PM   #23

SilhouettePenny … your method of checking the axles with a plumb bob and tape is good advice. This check only confirms if the axles are square to the frame and parallel to each other … camber and toe in are also important to check and best left to an alignment shop. Correct Track will help adjust the squarness of your axles to the frame and to each other, but will not do a thing to correct negative camber or incorrect toe. This is where an alignment shop comes in to play. Correct Track kinda got a bad rap early on from several owners that had the yellow eccentric disks fall off … hope the company got that issue solved. Most larger fivers are already tall and a bit top heavy which Correct Track only adds to. This is just my take … not saying don't buy it.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 02:36 PM   #24

Hey CC75,
If your axle is not bent I've got good news/bad news. This pic shows the good news, bolt on axle adjuster between the axle perch and spring pack. Bad news, it's only available with a $349 shock kit from Tweety's. But hey, why wouldn't you put shocks on a camper!

Old 12-31-2018, 02:38 PM   #25

Here ya go...Click image for larger version

Name:	20181231_071446.jpeg
Views:	64
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	193732

Old 12-31-2018, 03:41 PM   #26

Quote:
Wow, 30 thousand miles on a set of trailer tires. That's great....how many years of service ?

They are 3 years old, Goodyear G614 tires. Bought them same week I bought the trailer.
CC75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 03:45 PM   #27

Quote:
Hey CC75,
If your axle is not bent I've got good news/bad news. This pic shows the good news, bolt on axle adjuster between the axle perch and spring pack. Bad news, it's only available with a $349 shock kit from Tweety's. But hey, why wouldn't you put shocks on a camper!

I would love to put shocks on a trailer. I am just not mechanically inclined. I spent most of my adult life behind keyboards and giving people computer and network related advice.
CC75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 05:50 PM   #28

For $349 you could get your fiver aligned twice in my neck of the woods and only have to pull it there with your truck. For those of us who are wrench spinners, the adjustable spring perch in the photo might be something to look into.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 10:03 AM   #29

Axles new or repair

Advice I got was that new ones were a gamble as to alignment. Thatís probably why they were warranted so easily. They come crooked From the factory. Axle benders can true them. Chain and jack do the bend and you can diy but getting it true is worth having it on the shop machine. $250 is the going rate, thatís a clue to how easy it is if you have the tools and experience and are used to working an honest day.
Papadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 10:44 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC75 View Post
They are 3 years old, Goodyear G614 tires. Bought them same week I bought the trailer.

The G614 came on my Cedar Creek 32RL and I donít know exactly how many miles I have on my set but itís got to be between 30,000 miles and 40,000 miles and the tires look new
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 12:04 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
The G614 came on my Cedar Creek 32RL and I don’t know exactly how many miles I have on my set but it’s got to be between 30,000 miles and 40,000 miles and the tires look new
I believe the alignment on my Creeker must be spot on. I have about the same mileage on my camper. They are the original tires, so they are getting close to 7 years old and they look great. There is a lot of tread (and these are regroovable tires) and no checking or cracking. Of course, with that many years on them, I need to replace them anyway. I'm starting my research on new tires at de-winterizing time.

2012 Cedar Creek 36CKTS Touring Edition
2015 Ford F-350 CC DRW Lariat
Joe_GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 06:03 PM   #32

Quote:
You most likely DON'T have a bent axle, slight misalignment is very common. You can measure from the king pin using a plumb bob to the front/center of the front axle tires with a tape measure or digital laser measuring tool, $38 from Lowe's. +/- 1/4 " means you need to adjust the axles. Correct Track bolt on alignment kits are available from eTrailer or Amazon. Or the Joy Rider shock kit also has an alignment feature.
. I found mine were also offset from one side to the other from the factory. Tried wider LT tires and one rubbed on the from inside and the other side had all kinds of room. Front axle was even on both sides.
hotrod4448 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alignment, cedar creek