Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-26-2018, 04:08 PM   #1

Cedar Creek 29RE needs alignment

Anyone know of a good alignment shop in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. Tires are wearing uneven, took to Goodyear and they told me that it was an alignment issue and not a tire issue.
CC75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 08:09 PM   #2

Ray's in Ft Worth but I heard they were closing. I would look at Truck Alignment Frame near Waxahachie http://www.truckalignmentframe.com/

Ddubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 09:27 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddubya View Post
Ray's in Ft Worth but I heard they were closing. I would look at Truck Alignment Frame near Waxahachie Truck Alignment Frame, LLC - Home

Thank you. I'll give them a call.
Old 12-27-2018, 09:40 AM   #4

You probably have a Bent axel but any big truck shop can fix the problemm
Amateur Radio W5CI 2019 Days Camping 25
2020 Days Camping 7
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 01:26 PM   #5

You most likely DON'T have a bent axle, slight misalignment is very common. You can measure from the king pin using a plumb bob to the front/center of the front axle tires with a tape measure or digital laser measuring tool, $38 from Lowe's. +/- 1/4 " means you need to adjust the axles. Correct Track bolt on alignment kits are available from eTrailer or Amazon. Or the Joy Rider shock kit also has an alignment feature.

He who dies with the most tools, wins!
SilhouettePenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 02:03 PM   #6
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

I was dealing with this same issue. Truck Alignment in Waxahachie $1700 or come to next years FR rally in Goshen and they'll fix it for free if you are model year 2017 or newer.
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 05:39 PM   #7

I had the same problem a few years ago. In my case it was a bent axle.
I took it took a truck alignment shop and as I recall it cost me about $250 to correct the problem. It’s been fine ever since.
Blaster 84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 12:00 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilhouettePenny View Post
You most likely DON'T have a bent axle, slight misalignment is very common. You can measure from the king pin using a plumb bob to the front/center of the front axle tires with a tape measure or digital laser measuring tool, $38 from Lowe's. +/- 1/4 " means you need to adjust the axles. Correct Track bolt on alignment kits are available from eTrailer or Amazon. Or the Joy Rider shock kit also has an alignment feature.
Correct Track will adjust one of the three factors an alignment can fix. It can do tracking but not toe and not camber. A good alignment shop can check and adjust all three usually for around $200.00. I don't think that Correct Track is even available anymore. Just another "gimmick" in my opinion.
Level up, dual panes & all that stuff...
GOTTOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 09:33 AM   #9

It is just one of the joys of owning a 5th wheel. I will report back, once I find a shop and resolve the issue.
Goshen is not workable for me. Not sure I want to tow some 1100 miles before I find out what the real problem is.
Old 12-28-2018, 09:42 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbillsmith View Post
I was dealing with this same issue. Truck Alignment in Waxahachie $1700 or come to next years FR rally in Goshen and they'll fix it for free if you are model year 2017 or newer.

How was your issue resolved? $1700 is not chump change.
Old 12-28-2018, 11:42 AM   #11

I had a bent axle and went through some measurements with Dexter. They sent me two new axels (no charge). I have not towed enough yet to know if that fixed the problem but if it did not I will have them aligned.

Ddubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 05:54 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC75 View Post
It is just one of the joys of owning a 5th wheel. I will report back, once I find a shop and resolve the issue.
Goshen is not workable for me. Not sure I want to tow some 1100 miles before I find out what the real problem is.

I wouldn’t!! Unless you are a wheel expert! We had an issue that took the “factory” to have it “temporarily” fixed to get it home actually coming from the Rally in Goshen! THEY Wound up paying to haul it to Topeka, IN, replaced all under carriage AT THE FACTORY; both axels; new tires etc and re delivering it 1100 miles.
I WAS OUT OF WARRANTY by 6 months. They do what they do when they NEED to do it!
All good past few years. Better than new. Unfortunately our health and age have cut our traveling ability and we are now permanently in a house in Florida.
Selling this rig 2015 Silverback 33rl ( 36ft ) loaded for $27000 cash and with the truck for $37000. Perfect unit. Can be seen on the Forum classifieds under “Silverback”. Getting ready to launch a massive ad campaign and possible consignment at Camping World.
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 06:29 PM   #13

I had an alignment problem years ago and someone recommended a guy that came to you to do the alignment. He needed a fairly level concrete pad to work from and my driveway was perfect for it. He used a laser alignment device And found the rear axle needed to be moved back 3/8" and the front axle had to be heated to adjust the camber. I then got new tires and never had another issue with tire wear. I think he charged about $200.00 to check and $300.00 to do the alignment work. Call around to dealers and trailer parts places. They may be able to recommend someone.

2012 Cedar Creek 36CKTS Touring Edition
2015 Ford F-350 CC DRW Lariat
Joe_GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 06:55 PM   #14

I just learned something new, I didn't know these things needed to be aligned
Indy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 07:49 PM   #15

I've had axles aligned on the past two fivers I've owned with lasting results. Both had camber issues and one had toe out instead of toe in. Both alignments were done by a trailer alignment shop in Wichita, KS for around $165.00 total for each fiver. I dunno what the $1700 was for that was quoted in an earlier reply, but they must have padded and padded the estimate unless major frame work was needed. Like said .. the correct track will not adjust camber or toe, just squareness to the frame and parallelism between the axles. With the way most delivery drivers run the roads on the way to a dealer with a new trailer in tow ... it's a wonder why most any RV shouldn't have alignment issues.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 09:11 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
I've had axles aligned on the past two fivers I've owned with lasting results. Both had camber issues and one had toe out instead of toe in. Both alignments were done by a trailer alignment shop in Wichita, KS for around $165.00 total for each fiver. I dunno what the $1700 was for that was quoted in an earlier reply, but they must have padded and padded the estimate unless major frame work was needed. Like said .. the correct track will not adjust camber or toe, just squareness to the frame and parallelism between the axles. With the way most delivery drivers run the roads on the way to a dealer with a new trailer in tow ... it's a wonder why most any RV shouldn't have alignment issues.
So I just need to keep an eye on my tire wear. That will be the sign it needs alignment?
Old 12-29-2018, 10:47 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy500 View Post
I just learned something new, I didn't know these things needed to be aligned
Some don't, but if the frame jig operator had one too many beers last night then your spring hanger(s) might be misaligned slightly. Or the way you load your rig could affect alignment. Simply pull forward at least one tire rotation on a flat level surface to set axles in travel mode and measure your distance from kingpin to front center tire point. I got lucky with a 263.5 inch line on both sides. Correct Track ll is available from eTrailer but raises your camper 2 inches, Correct Track lll should be available soon and only raises 1 inch. It goes without saying that a level camper and proper tire inflation is critical.

Old 12-29-2018, 10:53 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilhouettePenny View Post
Some don't, but if the frame jig operator had one too many beers last night then your spring hanger(s) might be misaligned slightly. Or the way you load your rig could affect alignment. Simply pull forward at least one tire rotation on a flat level surface to set axles in travel mode and measure your distance from kingpin to front center tire point. I got lucky with a 263.5 inch line on both sides. Correct Track ll is available from eTrailer but raises your camper 2 inches, Correct Track lll should be available soon and only raises 1 inch. It goes without saying that a level camper and proper tire inflation is critical.
I'm not hooked up now. But can you measure from the kingpin to the tires while hooked up? Thinking that the rv would be in the way to get a straight measurement
Old 12-30-2018, 08:45 AM   #19

I rotate the tires front to back, and have them balanced every 8K miles or so. Cupping started showing up on one of the tires, and little less on the other tire on the same side of the rig. The tires on the opposite side of the rig looked pretty good. They are G614's with almost 30K miles on them. Once I get the axles aligned, I am going to move the tires to the opposite side of the rig to verify issue resolution.
Old 12-30-2018, 05:24 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy500 View Post
I'm not hooked up now. But can you measure from the kingpin to the tires while hooked up? Thinking that the rv would be in the way to get a straight measurement
You cannot measure while hooked up to the truck. Nor can you have any jacks or stabilizing equipment deployed. Put all your gear in the trailer and unhook after a short 10 foot pull forward on the flattest hard surface you can find. Then level with the front landing gear only. Plumb Bob down from the kingpin to a start point. Then measure to the front leading/center edge of both front tires. If you use a laser sight tool just pivot from the plumb point. If using a tape measure simply mark a spot on the concrete with a pen marker and measure. Align the rear axle to the front axle using the center spindle point of reference. I'll post a pic tomorrow of the alignment equipment I'm putting on my trailer, it's part of the Joy Rider suspension improvement kit. It only raises the rig 1/2 inch.

Tags
alignment, cedar creek