Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2020, 05:43 PM   #1

Cedar Creek 33RL 2015 slide issue

Our Main slide just recently started moving out while traveling. I noticed our fluid level in reservoir is down about 1 1/2 inches when everything is in. Manual says 1/4 inch. Could this cause this? I don't see any leaks and its always the same slide. I don't want to rip out the ram if its something I'm over looking.
Doug Currie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 01:08 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Currie View Post
Our Main slide just recently started moving out while traveling. I noticed our fluid level in reservoir is down about 1 1/2 inches when everything is in. Manual says 1/4 inch. Could this cause this? I don't see any leaks and its always the same slide. I don't want to rip out the ram if its something I'm over looking.
Yes, low hydraulic fluid could be part of your problem. Be forewarned, YOU WANT ALL SLIDES IN AND JACKS RETRACTED BEFORE TOPPING OFF THE TANK. If you don't you run the chance of having have fluid all over the place.

A couple of years ago when things weren't retracting, I found the fluid in tank was below the top portion of the opening for the pump and I filled it to about 2/3 full. When I finished retracting slides and jacks I had fluid spilling out onto the ground. I have taken a sharpie to the tank marking different points as to when slides in/out and jacks up/down. Ever since being low that one time, I haven't found it becoming low again. As it was at the time of maybe 3rd or 4th time out, I attributed it to maybe being low from factory.

I'm going to guess that you actually are not getting the slides in for the hydraulic pump to start pulling down and lock them in as they moved out going down the road. I have been having similar slide problems when I haven't been able to get them locked down. I think my dinette slide is the culprit as it hangs up most of the time. When it doesn't start a tiny bit when I first start retracting the slides then I find that they don't seem to want to lock down. I have found that after I think they are in, the bedroom slide will start to creep out when I let up on the switch. If that happens they won't stay in.

One time after I had the slides in and felt they had locked down and I raised the jacks, two of the slides came out. This year, I had the slides coming out a couple of times while going down the road on our trip to Florida. The first time leaving Illinois for Florida the bedroom slide came out, was able to lock everything in after a short distance down the road. However when leaving southern Florida I couldn't get them to stay in correctly even after an hour or two of trying. Hydraulic tank was full. We pulled out, as we had to get going, even though the bedroom slide was not as tight as I felt it should be and couldn't get the pump to draw down. Had to stop a couple of times to retract them in and after a hundred miles finally got them to lock down and stay in.

The dinette slide is always the last slide to come in when I think the opposite slide with the refrigerator and pantry should be the last in due to it should be the heaviest.

Last November Orvan (Amish Family RV) replaced the bedroom slide cylinder as it showed signs of leaking. I checked all the slide and jack cylinders before leaving Florida and didn't noticed any leakage from/around them. In talking with Orvan on the phone he has mentioned that maybe the control valve may be a problem.

Anyway when I have my unit at Orvan's a week from Monday (22nd) I am hoping we can put this puppy to bed. If after I get back from Orvan's, I will try to respond as to what solution if any he came up with.

Remember to when you are hitched up, retract everything (slides & jacks), then top off tank. If you can't retract and fluid is below the opening of the pump, only add enough fluid to cover opening. Only top off after all is retracted.

Hope some of this helps. Good luck.

2018 Cedar Creek 36CK2 (40.5ft)
TST Cap System (Tire Monitoring)
2021 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab 4X4 DRW Duramax (replaced 2015 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 4X4 Duramax)
Curt A25 5th Wheel Hitch (replaced Demco 18K Auto-slide)
LittleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 02:26 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. Yes I checked level after everything was in including the 6 point jacks. I will attach a photo of level when everything is in. I know its low and kinda hoping this is the issue. If you look closely the level is almost 2 inches below the top of tank. Please let me know what you find ill do the same if I narrow this down.Click image for larger version

Name:	20200610_131546.jpeg
Views:	141
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	231293
Old 06-11-2020, 10:21 PM   #4

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. Yes I checked level after everything was in including the 6 point jacks. I will attach a photo of level when everything is in. I know its low and kinda hoping this is the issue. If you look closely the level is almost 2 inches below the top of tank. Please let me know what you find ill do the same if I narrow this down.Attachment 231293
Yes, from what I can see it is low. While you have all the slides in and jacks up, you should be able to add fluid to it to top it off. Instead of just adding typical hydraulic fluid, you might want to think about adding some anti-stiction fluid like Fork Oil. Typically you would remove hydraulic fluid in proportion to what you will be adding, normally a quart. Here is a link to a .pdf from LCI on brands recommended. http://www.rvhome.school/Lippert%20S...g%20System.pdf.

2021 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab 4X4 DRW Duramax (replaced 2015 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 4X4 Duramax)
Old 06-12-2020, 12:26 PM   #5

Another point of view.
Also check the level when all cylinders are out/down. If there is fluid showing in the reservoir, then lack of fluid is not the problem, as it hasn't sucked in any air.
When cylinders creep it is usually a leak, a bad internal seal, or a bad valve, allowing fluid movement.
You might look at the LCI online manual for the procedure to manually exercise the valves. I had one slide that would creep out an inch or so over a week, and exercising the valve manually seemed to reseat it and no more creep. Just takes an allen(hex) wrench.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 05:06 PM   #6
Global Nomad

I had the same problem you had. I did not realize when I got my unit from the dealer the hydraulic fluid was not completely full. I brought everything in and added fluid to the full mark. No more slide creeping out. Also, with everything extended. I marked the level on the reservoir, so I can look at it at any time to check that it is not leaking. I WOULD NOT ADD ANY SUPPLEMENTS TO THE FLUID.
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS (Center Kitchen Three Slides)

Scheinin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 05:18 PM   #7

[QUOTE=Scheinin;2343819 I WOULD NOT ADD ANY SUPPLEMENTS TO THE FLUID.[/QUOTE]

Lippert advises adding anti-stiction fluid if there is any popping noises coming from the hydraulic system.
Old 06-12-2020, 09:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Lippert advises adding anti-stiction fluid if there is any popping noises coming from the hydraulic system.
Ditto - it is recommended.

Old 06-14-2020, 03:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scheinin View Post
I had the same problem you had. I did not realize when I got my unit from the dealer the hydraulic fluid was not completely full. I brought everything in and added fluid to the full mark. No more slide creeping out. Also, with everything extended. I marked the level on the reservoir, so I can look at it at any time to check that it is not leaking. I WOULD NOT ADD ANY SUPPLEMENTS TO THE FLUID.
Good to know. Mine is down about 1 1/2 inches. I called Lippert and they said unless my 6 point jacks are making a popping sound dont add the Fork oil. Im going to top off the fluid and make a small trip and see. If it still creeps out I'll remove underbelly and inspect the ram to see if I have a small leak. In the meantime as one of the fellows recommended I'll exercise the solenoid valve manually a few times.
Old 06-15-2020, 02:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Another point of view.
Also check the level when all cylinders are out/down. If there is fluid showing in the reservoir, then lack of fluid is not the problem, as it hasn't sucked in any air.
When cylinders creep it is usually a leak, a bad internal seal, or a bad valve, allowing fluid movement.
You might look at the LCI online manual for the procedure to manually exercise the valves. I had one slide that would creep out an inch or so over a week, and exercising the valve manually seemed to reseat it and no more creep. Just takes an allen(hex) wrench.
Can't seem to find info on manually exercising valves on Lippert site.
Old 06-15-2020, 03:10 PM   #11

Quote:
Can't seem to find info on manually exercising valves on Lippert site.
Couldn't find the one that specifically was about slides, but found this in master manual for Leveling page 85. It has pics of the valves. I have three for the jacks and one for the slides. You have to open the valves to use the drill method to manually work hydraulic jacks or slides.

https://support.lci1.com/master-manuals/

Manual Override The LCI Level-Up Automatic Leveling System can be manually operated with an electric drill. In the event of electrical or system failure, this manual method of extending and retracting the jacks can be used. See the instructions below.NOTE: Unhook the power unit motor from the power source prior to attempting the manual override procedure.1. Locate the valves that are paired with the landing gear or leveling jack to be manually overridden.A. Landing Gear - Valve located on the landing gear (Fig. 8).B. Leveling Jacks - Valve located on manifold (Fig. 9).2. Using a 5/32” hex wrench, open the valve by turning the manual override set screw clockwise (Fig. 10A).
Old 06-15-2020, 05:00 PM   #12

Quote:
Couldn't find the one that specifically was about slides, but found this in master manual for Leveling page 85. It has pics of the valves. I have three for the jacks and one for the slides. You have to open the valves to use the drill method to manually work hydraulic jacks or slides.

https://support.lci1.com/master-manuals/

Manual Override The LCI Level-Up Automatic Leveling System can be manually operated with an electric drill. In the event of electrical or system failure, this manual method of extending and retracting the jacks can be used. See the instructions below.NOTE: Unhook the power unit motor from the power source prior to attempting the manual override procedure.1. Locate the valves that are paired with the landing gear or leveling jack to be manually overridden.A. Landing Gear - Valve located on the landing gear (Fig. 8).B. Leveling Jacks - Valve located on manifold (Fig. 9).2. Using a 5/32” hex wrench, open the valve by turning the manual override set screw clockwise (Fig. 10A).
I have 1 for the slides and 2 for the jacks. I assume you just ran the allen key in and out a few times without manually operating the slides.Click image for larger version

Name:	20200612_120143.jpeg
Views:	66
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	231558Click image for larger version

Name:	20200612_120249.jpeg
Views:	62
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	231559
Old 06-15-2020, 06:45 PM   #13

Need to ask BandJCarm what fixed his camper. If I wasn't so old and forgetful, I might be able to tell you! LOL! Anyway, he struggled with this issue for a long time on his Creek and finally got it fixed.

2012 Cedar Creek 36CKTS Touring Edition
2015 Ford F-350 CC DRW Lariat
Joe_GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 09:45 AM   #14

Just to follow up on my issue. I added fluid to get the proper level as per manual and manually exercised the selenoid valve. No issues now on first trip. Will keep you posted if it is the answer.
Old 06-18-2020, 01:23 PM   #15

Quote:
Just to follow up on my issue. I added fluid to get the proper level as per manual and manually exercised the selenoid valve. No issues now on first trip. Will keep you posted if it is the answer.
Great! Hopefully you got it licked.
And yes, I just open and closed the valves with the key a few times to "reseat" the valve. At least that's the terminology LCI tech used
Old 06-18-2020, 09:46 PM   #16

Quote:
Great to hear . Taking mine to Orvan tomorrow morning as he is scheduled to work on it Monday. One thing I want him to do is check my slides over carefully. It has been in storage since mid March. While traveling in Jan-Mid March, I had a number of troubles with it. Of course since I brought it home this past Saturday, I've had no problem the two times I opened/closed it. Go figure.

Tags
cedar creek, slide