Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2014, 05:36 PM   #21
DDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Out of curiosity how does a two inch lift kit add 5,000 lb capacity?

Turbs
It's perfectly logical, make it higher so everything goes up.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 06:59 PM   #22

I could see how it works. The rear bump stops are further away from the axle. Takes more weight to make them bottom out.
goduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 07:15 AM   #23

I've read several replies on "air bag levelers", what are they?

2016 Silverado Dually
2016 Cedar Creek Champagne 38el
Total Bliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 07:26 AM   #24

Firestone Air Spring Kits
Firestone Air Spring Kits
Shop Now
Improve your vehicle's ride. Add a Firestone air spring kits and air bags level your truck, reduce/eliminate vehicle sag and sway, and give you an overall smoother, safer ride. Available for vehicles with coil spring and leaf spring suspensions.
Chevy Firestone Air Bags
Dodge Firestone Air Bags
Ford Firestone Air Bags
GMC Firestone Air Bags
Firestone Air Bags for All Makes/Models
Replacement Firestone Air Bags ( they have different brands this just to tell you what they do )

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 10:18 AM   #25

Thanks gljurczyk, looked them up and have an understanding now. Something to check into.
Total Bliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 08:28 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I didn't read that Ford said anything. Someone put the lift kit on the Ford and Ford said at the bottom if you put the lift kit on and something went wrong then it was not Fords fault

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
It's underlined. Maybe you need to go back and read it again. Who do you think is saying it? You don't have to like it, but to simply pretend it doesn't say what it clearly says is quite...
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 05:48 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
It's underlined. Maybe you need to go back and read it again. Who do you think is saying it? You don't have to like it, but to simply pretend it doesn't say what it clearly says is quite...

Go down all the way to the bottom and see what Ford says about things you add on to the truck.

spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 06:47 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post

I have read the page a few times and I don't see anything underlined but I am a little old and I don't see too good.

Old 11-04-2014, 08:53 AM   #29

Quote:
I have read the page a few times and I don't see anything underlined but I am a little old and I don't see too good.

It is underlined in my screenshot. If you are going to the link, you won't see it underlined in the actual article. I know of the legal disclaimer at the bottom. I also know that any time I get a cup of coffee it will have a legal disclaimer on it- so I don't give them much consideration. Doesn't change the fact that the article plainly states that he added a 2" lift kit for an additional 5K towing capacity. And this is a Ford Motor Company publication, not just some random magazine article.
Old 11-04-2014, 09:02 AM   #30

That still does not change what Ford says

Old 11-04-2014, 09:19 AM   #31
Mddle of the Rd Extremist

Been following this thread (and a couple similar) for a while now and did quite a bit of research which all basically boils down to the following conclusion:

Will an air bag kit or overload springs increase my trucks GVWR? If the back of your pickup sags and you’re considering adding some load support with helper springs, you may have not noticed the fine print “do not exceed vehicle's GVWR”. This is a commonly asked question by people looking to add extra load support to the rear of their truck or SUV with air bags or overload springs. The short answer is no, any form of load support will not increase your trucks GVWR.
Why won’t air bags increase my GWVR? First let’s look at what GVWR is. GVWR stands for gross vehicle weight rating and is determined by the manufacturer. It is the total combined weight of your truck and the trailer, including all passengers, fuel, water, dogs, cargo, etc.
There are many factors that go into determining your trucks weight rating and this is why an overload kit will not “up” the weight rating. When a vehicle is engineered they take into account many factors like frame strength, drive train, braking power, stability, performance, etc. So, for example if add an air bag kit that has a 5000 lb. rating, it may help with the stability and performance, but it will not increase your vehicles breaking power and therefore your vehicles GVWR will not increase

I'm going with the "experts" - who seem to be in the majority
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2013 RAM 3500 6.7L diesel DRW Crew Cab
"When you get to the fork in the road, take it....."
MeepMeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 09:44 AM   #32

Quote:
That still does not change what Ford says

Sure it does just that Ford FIX or Repair Daily. Says they just won't warranty it in legal language. Same as they won't warranty it if you put a chip in. But say's you can't do it and get the benefits from it. Just legal talk and if anything happens they will not warranty it, I don't see how that increases your capacity except you wouldn't bottom out. A 3.73 geared F250 truck will handle it. Just my opinion. Have you ever seen the breaks and rotors on a 250, the biggest I have seen and the same as a F350. I think? I have that question out on another post to a mech. for over 25 years.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 09:48 AM   #33

So some guy tells a writer his lift kit gives him an additional 5K tow capacity so thus it must be true. All Ford said was that a lift kit will void your warranty. What they didn't print was the gear change that went along with the lift kit. You have to read between the lines here. A lower gear ratio (than you can order stock) will allow you to tow more but will also void your warranty. This is old news.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 10:35 AM   #34

It doesn't say you can't increase your tow rating by adding the lift kit, it says Ford won't warranty anything related to the lift kit.
goduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 10:44 AM   #35

That's true. You could take a Ford F-150 and at it up right and do the same thing but Ford will laugh at you if do it and some part of the frame breaks. It comes down to what you feel safe at, I do lots of dumb things but I always try to make sure DW is safe

Old 11-04-2014, 10:47 AM   #36

Quote:
That's true. You could take a Ford F-150 and at it up right and do the same thing but Ford will laugh at you if do it and some part of the frame breaks. It comes down to what you feel safe at, I do lots of dumb things but I always try to make sure DW is safe

It should say fix it up right, the F-150

Old 11-04-2014, 11:13 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeepMeep View Post
Been following this thread (and a couple similar) for a while now and did quite a bit of research which all basically boils down to the following conclusion:

Will an air bag kit or overload springs increase my trucks GVWR? If the back of your pickup sags and you’re considering adding some load support with helper springs, you may have not noticed the fine print “do not exceed vehicle's GVWR”. This is a commonly asked question by people looking to add extra load support to the rear of their truck or SUV with air bags or overload springs. The short answer is no, any form of load support will not increase your trucks GVWR.
Why won’t air bags increase my GWVR? First let’s look at what GVWR is. GVWR stands for gross vehicle weight rating and is determined by the manufacturer. It is the total combined weight of your truck and the trailer, including all passengers, fuel, water, dogs, cargo, etc.
There are many factors that go into determining your trucks weight rating and this is why an overload kit will not “up” the weight rating. When a vehicle is engineered they take into account many factors like frame strength, drive train, braking power, stability, performance, etc. So, for example if add an air bag kit that has a 5000 lb. rating, it may help with the stability and performance, but it will not increase your vehicles breaking power and therefore your vehicles GVWR will not increase

I'm going with the "experts" - who seem to be in the majority
At least you put "experts" in quotes.
Old 11-04-2014, 01:57 PM   #38

I had a Silverado 2500HD diesel and I was pulling a 34ft travel trailer and the truck just would not run right in cruise, it would not take a small overpass, transmission would go crazy. Someone told me to put better shocks on, that did no good, I was told to put air bags on, put on Firestone ride right. Truck rode level but it still would not pull that 34ft TT good. I put a fifth wheel hitch on and a 35ft camper and bingo truck pulled good and would stay in cruise. I have since traded for a 3500HD diesel and a CC. I wanted a 36RE CC but Ducky told me my SRW would not be a good fit for the 36RE. Maybe CC will come out with something I can pull in a few years, anyway DW likes the 30RL that we have and it does pull oh so good

Tags
2013, cedar creek, weight