Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2013, 05:50 AM   #1

Cedar Creek 34 RLSA-Level Up System and pull test?

Newby here trying to figure out all the bells an whistles on my 34 RLSA. The Level Up System is certainly one of the best of all. Since I have always preformed a "Pull Test" when hooking up my 5th. wheel to the truck before totally raising the front jacks, how do you do this with the Level Up system? The front jacks do not come up or down at the same time, one will come all the way up the other will the start up. How do I get them to raise equally about an inch off the ground so I can do a pull test?

ret2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:55 AM   #2
Commercial Member

They are hydraulic.....

Put your foot on the closest to the driver's side and hold it, it should make the other side raise. They are pressure sensitive.
(Tweaked!!)
2013 Columbus 320RS-ITS HERE!!
huntr70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:43 AM   #3

Glad you asked that question. I'm so bull headed that I've actually done it with the front pads down. Of course, when you do that you drag the pads. Only did it an inch or two. But that can't be good with all that weight on the landing gear legs. I'll give the "foot on the pad" trick a try. Gotta make sure the DW can do it. She is back handling the level-up system controls while I do this.

I have a Curt 20Q hitch. I always check the jaws from the rear (so I can see them) and the green dot indicator before I move the truck. But I've never been able to do that "pull test" except as I described above. Thanks for the tip.
2013 Chevy 3500HD, D/A, DRW, 4X4
WeRCreekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 03:16 PM   #4
Old Member

Send a message via Skype™ to mikey
If you use the "Rear" button to retract the mid & rear jacks, you can then use the "Front" button to retract the front jacks a bit to do your "pull test" the go back & finish retracting the front jacks. Just remember, that you need to
Push the retract button ( have the amber retract" light on) before the retract feature becomes operable.

I use this method everytime and it works like a champ. Never use the Auto Retract function.

Travel safe & enjoy the ride.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:21 PM   #5

Haven't tried the foot on the pad method, but what I have come up with is to retract the front jacks - the driver side comes up first, then the passenger side begins to start up. Stop when the passenger side is an inch or so off the ground, then lower the front jacks - the passenger side will stay in position and the driver side will go down. Stop when both are at the same level. When you are through with the pull test, retract both fully and you're ready to go!

Carroll

2020 Cedar Creek Silverback 33IK
2011 Ford F250 Superduty Powerstroke
cbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:07 AM   #6
CCRVOC

Height Memory?

Doesn't the Level UP remember your pin height before it starts to level? If you manually retract the legs it defeats the artificall intelligence of the Level up?
Our 36CKTS is on order, so I'm just imagining all this until I can actually play in the game!!

Reck
Ramblin Recks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 04:40 PM   #7
Certified Curmudgeon

The pin height "memory" only works if your connect and disconnect heights are the same. Mine are not so I don't use it either. After connection and checklist completion, I do use the auto retract to pull up all six legs. I do the pull test just before hitting the road. I can do that because I have a BlueOx BedSaver. Sooo,if the pull test fails, no damage and I didn't put a side load on the landing gear.
I would not recommend this method without a safety net (BedSaver).
Old 06-07-2013, 08:54 PM   #8

REESE Pull Test instructions state: With all trailer wheels blocked and landing gear still resting on firm ground, release truck emergency brake, apply trailer brake. Try to pull trailer slowly forward. If trailer is properly hitched, the wheel blocks & trailer brakes should keep the truck from moving forward.
Is this a bad method?
Jim
UncleFudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:19 PM   #9
Always Learning

Fudd- people disagree about the landing gear. Some say, just like those instructions that they should stay on the ground. Others say that you should raise them an inch or less but off the ground so that there aren't any lateral forces in the bit that the camper does move.

Duckogram raises his entirely because he has something called a BedSaver. It is mounted onto the hitch itself and would catch the pin if it just so happens to release from the hitch. This is a $250-300 option he added himself that many (most?) don't have.
Old 06-08-2013, 05:12 PM   #10

I have the level up system....

Return to hookup height using auto

Connect the truck and lock the pin

Do the pull test - all pads are still on the ground, chocks in place, trailer brake on by hand - two firm tugs with the truck.

Press the auto-retract and all the pads come up off the ground
2017 Days Planned: 135

38FLCamper is offline   Reply With Quote