Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2020, 11:14 AM   #1

Cedar Creek 40 CCK Leveling

We have owned our new 40CCK for a year.The ground it's sitting on moves a bit as the seasons change and I am wondering how others level trailers that set all year. When it was delivered I leveled it sitting on it's wheels and tongue jack.Then used the eight stabilizer jacks to firm things up.All points sitting on cement blocks.As the ground changed I adjusted the jacks. I guess my question is how much weight do you want on the wheels and tongue jack and how much on the stabilizers.
Thanks to all
jjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 05:16 PM   #2

When our 2017 was moved to our current campground this spring, it was a permanent move and the owner of the campground used no trailer jacks or stabilizers - they are all left up. Instead he used concrete blocks under the frame each side - front, middle, and back. It is very stable and doesn't move at all.
accsys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 07:46 PM   #3

Thanks for that information.Do you have the axles and wheels under the frame?How high is the frame above the ground?I have been thinking about doing that sometime.
Old 08-27-2020, 01:03 PM   #4

The wheels and axles were not moved at all - still where they were at when it was towed in. The frame is about 26 inches off the ground at the rear, a little less in the front. The sliding glass door entry is 39 inches off the ground.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Concrete blocks in rear.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	237746   Click image for larger version

Name:	Steps to sliding glass door.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	237747  
Old 08-28-2020, 01:11 PM   #5

My set up

I set my 40CCK up about 3 years ago on a concrete pad in a campground.
I put wood under the tires to protect them. I used my jacks and tongue jack to level the unit. I have 4 jacks on each side. I put cement blocks under each of those and then just lowered the jacks a short way to get a good level.
I wanted to be able to adjust them over time but wanted them short so I would not get much wiggle from them. I left the tongue jack down but it is not too tight.
I adjusted the jacks a bit for the first 2 years or so until everything settled in.
I also added 2 jack screw jacks under each of the two largest slides to cut down on any rocking from moving around inside the unit.
I have to keep the wheels/axels and tongue on the unit to avoid property taxes on the trailer.
Very happy with the set up and the trailer.
Escapenrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 07:08 PM   #6

How much of the weight do you think is still on the wheels and on the jacks?
Thanks
Old 08-29-2020, 06:34 AM   #7

Weight?

I don't have any idea except to say it is not much. The front has just enough to make it snug. The wheels are not off the ground but they do not look like they have much of a load on them. I used a bottle jack to raise them up and put 1/2 in treated plywood under each tire. After that I did not worry with them.
Just adjusted the scissor jacks to get all level.
Good luck.....
Old 08-29-2020, 07:49 PM   #8

I could be wrong, but I don't believe the jacks provide near as stable a setup as using the steel frame. Both of us are around 230 pounds and the trailer doesn't move at all as we move around the rig. It is as stable as our Florida S&B on a concrete slab!
Old 08-30-2020, 05:45 AM   #9

You are right

There will always be some slop in the jacks. I wanted an easy way to adjust the level as time went on. I don't do well anymore under the trailer but I can crank on the jacks.
The movement I felt was very slight if I was sitting in the large curb side slide out and someone walked around inside.
The extra support under the slide solved that problem. I bought 2 extra supports for the kitchen slide since it had so much weight in it.
After 78 years I am getting more "wisdom" in order to replace the youthful
energy I use to have.
Old 08-30-2020, 05:36 PM   #10

Cedar Creek 40 CCK Leveling

We have a cottage on order. It’s going to be place on 3/4” base rock. There are no plans to move it once it’s setup. With that said what would be the best way to stabilize it?

Also, I’ve seen some pictures of the cottages with both 4 jacks and 8 jacks. Come someone tell me what’s coming on the new cottages?

2021 Cedar Creek Cottage 40CRS

Victron MultiPlus-II 12/3000/120-50 Solar installation
SacRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 06:10 PM   #11

I posted first in this thread how I set up our 40CCK.Others have posted good ideas.
My unit came with eight jacks and I would hate to try long term use without them.Leveling is somewhat difficult to decide where to put your level.I use the frame as a start for front to back but side to side is not easy to find.I may someday try the cement blocks under the frame.I would still like to hear an idea of weight on wheels and weight on jacks.So far the 40CCK is a great choice except the air conditioning needed a lot of help.

Tags
cedar creek, leveling

« Parts | Inverter »