Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2017, 08:55 AM   #1

Cedar Creek Bike Rack Hitch? Yea or Nay

Trying to decide if I should order the bike rack hitch with my cedar creek. The 1 1/4 seems pretty limiting...

Any thoughts here?
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 09:02 AM   #2

I have one on my 36ckts. It's fairly flimsy but does handle our two bikes ok.
robbymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 09:10 AM   #3

I am not a fan of putting the bikes on the back of the camper, in our Cedar Creek and now the River Stone I store them in the front storage bin. I remove the front wheel and have the fork hold downs to secure them, out of sight and weather. Takes about 5 minutes to install or take off the front wheel on two bikes.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 09:23 AM   #4

Not a fan of the hitches. Don't seem robust, and I don't need extra weight back there.

BuzzWolfAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 09:30 AM   #5

We've forgotten how to ride bikes.

Plus, I have no receiver on my Creek.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 09:34 AM   #6

Did not get the hitch when we ordered; seems too lightweight.
Nights Camped: 2017=61
Nights Camped: 2018=25
Nights Camped: 2019=12 | Booked=6
florabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 09:55 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by florabama View Post
Did not get the hitch when we ordered; seems too lightweight.
This is what I was thinking. I've seen numerous methods of carrying bikes from putting them IN the 5th, to the storage bay, to a rack mounted to the kingpin, to the front of the truck, to having a new, heavy duty receiver welded in.

I also thought about putting them on top of the cab of the truck.
Old 09-15-2017, 10:38 AM   #8

According to my dealer adding a bike rack after the fact voids your frame warranty. So there's always that to consider.

2017 Heritage Glen 368RLHBK Limited
2017 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew, 6.7 Cummins
m35a2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 11:01 AM   #9

Dealers...........

If it's an orderable item from the factory, the factory couldn't void the warranty if it was included.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 12:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by m35a2 View Post
According to my dealer adding a bike rack after the fact voids your frame warranty. So there's always that to consider.

That's incorrect. I have hauled 2 bikes x USA and back; south GA to Northern Michigan and points between. Only advice is USE SOFT TIES and RATCHET STRAPS. ENSURE YOU CAN ADD A " click" to tighten as needed.
Do a walk around and shake every gas or relaxation break. SHAKE AND HAND CHECK BIKE RACK SCREWS AND BOLTS. Went through Louisiana years ago, roads were sooooo bad, one bike rubbed its handle bar grip on the RV REAR DECAL. Fix to avoid future re occurrence, tape or zip tie a micro fiber towel to the area of possibility. Never had another issue! AND YES, my Silverback was back at the factory under warranty and EVERYTHING was FULLY inspected. Hitch was NEVER any issue.
PS: that handle bar rub was due to SCREWS AND NUTS ON THE BIKE RACK ITSELF COMING LOOSE, Use LOCKTIGHT.
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 01:30 PM   #11

Only voids warranty if you add rack after purchase.
mecapeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 01:33 PM   #12

I have CC rack. Two bikes. No problems. 30,000 miles. Just make sure everything is tight. Also I strap left and right sides to elimanate sway.
Old 09-15-2017, 01:41 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecapeman View Post
Only voids warranty if you add rack after purchase.

Nope. Mine is aftermarket Swagman. As per my post; been back to factory for work. Never an issue.
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 01:48 PM   #14

Sorry. I need to clarify. CC hitch, not rack.

My rack is a Hollywood.

Again if you buy the hitch from CC you can add a rack. Just be sure you don't exceed 150 pounds (rack & bikes).
Old 09-15-2017, 03:39 PM   #15

I have followed several trailers with bike racks on the back and I could not wait to get around them by the way the bikes were bouncing around. If they did not loose them I would be surprised.
Old 09-15-2017, 04:52 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
Trying to decide if I should order the bike rack hitch with my cedar creek. The 1 1/4 seems pretty limiting...

Any thoughts here?
I had a hitch put on when I bought my cedar creek and the dealer did.the instsll and the hitch was,a 2 inch. 2 bikes rode on back with no problem at all. The thing that i had that improved the rack was a clip that screwed down on the hitch and tightened on the hitch shaft , this kept the bikes from rocking side to side as you go down the road.
Those that said they didn't want the weight on the back, I don't understand, the bikes don't weigh that much. Maybe they are talking about putting motor cycles on it, don't know. With all the storage space up front i doubt that two or three bikes would make zero difference to the tongue wt.
floridela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 07:00 PM   #17

Most bike racks state specifically not to use on any trailer. The movement of a trailer causes stress well beyond their design. There are a few designed for trailers and there priced over $200. I stay way back from any trailer with a bike rack.
Center Point suspension
2018 Ram Laramie 3500 6'4" box 2WD
Demco AutoSlide 18k
Telstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 08:14 PM   #18

I installed a 2 inch receiver on the back of our Cedar Creek 5th wheel and originally used a Draw Tite Bike Rack that I had. After going thru Mississippi with that rack where the bikes hang down from a bar, the roads were the absolutely the worst I've ever run across and they totally ruined the finish on the bikes, piled them on top of one another and broke the weld on the bike rack so I bought a Swagman rack for RV's that cradles the bikes. I cannot speak highly enough about the rack or the Swagman folks.

Been to Colorado and back as well as all over the Southern States since and we've had had no problems. We do take our bikes everywhere we camp so I say if you like to camp and ride your bikes, go for it but buy the right equipment.
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

Rango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 10:02 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rango View Post
I installed a 2 inch receiver on the back of our Cedar Creek 5th wheel and originally used a Draw Tite Bike Rack that I had. After going thru Mississippi with that rack where the bikes hang down from a bar, the roads were the absolutely the worst I've ever run across and they totally ruined the finish on the bikes, piled them on top of one another and broke the weld on the bike rack so I bought a Swagman rack for RV's that cradles the bikes. I cannot speak highly enough about the rack or the Swagman folks.

Been to Colorado and back as well as all over the Southern States since and we've had had no problems. We do take our bikes everywhere we camp so I say if you like to camp and ride your bikes, go for it but buy the right equipment.
Old 09-16-2017, 10:22 AM   #20

Send a message via AIM to B and B
I would suggest you forgo the 1 1/4 reciever, it is flimsy and will cause issues. On my new SOB the dealer made a custom hitch he gives free with every Landmark and Bighorn. This is 2 inch.

Etrailer makes a extendable 2 inch receiver or get someone to fab your own.

The key part is a proper bike rack and not a wally world special.

Swagman Escapee. As above post the only way to go!

The Swagman Escapee- RV approved 2 Bike Rack

This is what I won on the back of my 40' Bighorn. No movement at all, solid as a rock. You can put bikes on the back with the right system.
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bike, bike rack, cedar creek, hitch