Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2015, 08:05 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by richp View Post
Hi,
<SNIP>
Now if the factory would only provide a decent radio antenna, and isolate the refrigerator cooling fan so it didn't vibrate and make that annoying noise on hot afternoons and evenings. My dealer is working on something, but it sure would be so much easier for them to come out of the factory without such obvious frailties.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips
Rich,

Are you going to the FROG International Rally in Goshen this year? If so, put in a work order on your Refer fan. The techs will come to your unit and replace the fan with a larger, more efficient fan that is completely silent! (They replaced the refer fan on our unit last year & it has worked flawlessly since then!)
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 09:00 AM   #22

Just put the computer fans a couple of weeks ago. The factory fan had been running and was running when I installing.

Went off Old Coot method. Double sided tape to back of fridge and muffler hanger for support and switch mount. Cut a plastic puddy knife from the caulking early to hold the fans together. I have to use what I have in the campground.

The factory fan has not come back on since and fridge stays cooler as others have posted.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1429538355.311324.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	74791

Ain't the prettiest install but functional and is behind the cover.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
arpipeliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 11:35 AM   #23

One "possible issue" with Silverback is oxidation and front cap fade during year one.
Mine was a fresh 2015 model 33rl BUILT in early 2014. Delivered in April 2014 and I picked it up in W Palm Beach Florida, two weeks after delivery from the factory.
9 months in, following one summer in N Georgia mountains, cap fade.
JUST got it out of the shop after a re-do under warranty.
Hopefully no more issues.
Just say'n!! Get that second year warranty. Might need it!!

Really like the unit. Looking forward to extended winter stay next year in Florida!!
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 11:51 AM   #24

Hi BamaBob,

Thanks for the suggestion, but we likely wouldn't be able to get there. Seems to me that if there is a known fix, it sure would be nice if they advised dealers. On my first time back with it, they pulled the refer and replaced the fan. No improvement.

When I looked at it myself while snowbirding in AL this winter, I could see with the top vent cover removed that the fan is rigidly mounted to the unit. My eyes told me a relatively simple change to some kind of rubber grommeted mount would isolate the fan and stop the noise from intruding into the living area.

Like I said, it's in with the dealer again for this, and I've discussed that rubber mount idea with him. He's a good guy, and I'm sure he'll try to fix it. But as I said, since this seems to be a known problem, why not tell the dealers what to do. Better still, do it in the factory, when the unit is being assembled.

But then what do I know? -- I just use the thing all the time.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips
richp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 10:38 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverbackMel View Post
One "possible issue" with Silverback is oxidation and front cap fade during year one.
Mine was a fresh 2015 model 33rl BUILT in early 2014. Delivered in April 2014 and I picked it up in W Palm Beach Florida, two weeks after delivery from the factory.
9 months in, following one summer in N Georgia mountains, cap fade.
JUST got it out of the shop after a re-do under warranty.
Hopefully no more issues.
Just say'n!! Get that second year warranty. Might need it!!

Really like the unit. Looking forward to extended winter stay next year in Florida!!
If you don't mind me asking, what did they do for the oxidation? Just a buff out?
goduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 04:39 PM   #26

Front cap

Repainted and clearcoat. Said buff would not hold up in southeast summer sun.
All warranty covered.
Time will tell if we are happy campers or not.
Separate decal vendor through the dealership screwed up install. Re doing on my site some 65 miles north of dealership.
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 04:51 PM   #27

Our 3800 FL Cardinal has 2 seals on all of the slides. It has one inside and one outside. I'm not sure how the unit your are talking is set up, but we have been in some really heavy rain with no issues on leaking at all.
Jester

2012 Super Crew 4WD 6.7 PSD
2015 Cardinal 3800 FL
2007 Road King Black Cherry-Hers
2007 Road King Blue-Mine
1979 FXS Hot Rod Shovelhead
Jestercyco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 09:39 PM   #28

I have a 31RK with Cathedral ceiling. Last weekend we camped at Eisenhower State Park in Texas. Two and a half inches of rain first night no leaks. Two more inches the next night and still no leaks. First hand experience.
Brentf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 10:17 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentf View Post
I have a 31RK with Cathedral ceiling. Last weekend we camped at Eisenhower State Park in Texas. Two and a half inches of rain first night no leaks. Two more inches the next night and still no leaks. First hand experience.
I'm currently looking at the 29IK,29RE and the 31RK. I'm really starting to like the 31RK over the other two. I like the idea of the kitchen in the rear as it opens up the middle of the trailer and if your cooking nobody gets in your way. If I decide on the 31RK any good options I might want to get. No matter what I buy I'm going to get the 6 point leveling and the second AC. Thanks for the good info.
No more shoveling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 09:16 AM   #30

options

As far as I am concerned this is a pretty complete package:

Silverback Explorer Pkg.
Silverback Collection Pkg.
Silverback Special Package.
Automatic 6 Point “Level-Up” Hydraulic Leveling System
13,500 BTU Whisper Quiet Ducted 2nd A/C w/Cold Air Returns
110V 11 Cu. Ft. Stainless Steel Refrigerator w/Inverter
Washer & Dryer Prep (Combo Only)
Matching Ottoman w/Inverter Storage
Upgrade to Trump Home luxury King Mattress
Wireless Rear Camera System

Not planning on a lot of boondocking so I like the fact that the fridge is electric, propane fridges are the biggest source of RV fires and the residential fridge performs better (cool down, freeze performance). I would like to have had a trailair hitch as well but the airbags on the truck compensate.
I bought mine at this dealer:
https://www.couchsrvnation.com/fores...lverback/31rk8
Old 04-24-2015, 10:24 AM   #31

more comments on options

The King mattress takes an extra 12" out of your maneuvering space in the bedroom. If you are used to a queen then you will find it easier to get around up there. With the king there is enough room between the bed and closet but the opposite side (next to the bathroom wall) you can just slide in and out.

The RV mattress is not as long as a standard mattress. Otherwise I would say just skip the upgrade and go buy a good residential mattress. It is possible to cut one down but it is not something I want to try. I don't care for the foam mattresses like tempurpedic but some do, those can be cut down. I would say the Serta upgraded mattress is fine but it certainly is not like what we have at home. That way we can still call it camping.
Old 04-24-2015, 12:27 PM   #32

This is our second 5er with a king and the trump king is the best so far. Very comfortable. In the 38rd there is plenty of space around the bed don't know about the Silverback. We had a king in our last 5ed and was tight around the bed but you spend little time moving in the bedroom. I would say well worth the upgrade.
ttanous is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, cedar creek, slide, slide out