Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2018, 02:19 PM   #1
Love Our 18 Cottage 40CCK

Cedar Creek Cottage Bedroom Carpet Remove & Replace With Vinyl Plank?

Has anyone replaced their bedroom carpet in a Cottage before and replaced with vinyl plank? I want to do this very soon; however the slide has me concerned due to it being so tight against the existing carpet & pad. I'm hoping that once I cut out the carpet around the slide area (no way it's coming out from underneath it); that I am able to install the slimmest possible vinyl plank available and still have it clear the vinyl when the slide comes in. When I tested the slide in and out to see how it moves against the carpet; it is really really tight to the floor pushing into the carpet and pad underneth it.

Any thoughts or experiences would be so very helpful as I really want to get rid of this nasty carpet ASAP

Thanks in advance....
desertcottage40cck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 09:00 AM   #2
edt

i put a 4x4 under slide and jacked it up to remove carpet and install vinyl plank this was on a bigger slide than the bed room slide
edt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 04:14 PM   #3

I don't know if this will help you, because My rig is a 5er 38FB2. The bedroom slides look the same. The slide was tight on the carpet with pad, and I had to cut the carpet to get it out. Now that the job is done there is actually a pretty large gap between the bed and the vinyl plank. There was a block on mine that is screwed to the floor that the bed frame rides on. Love the new floor, feels some much cleaner and looks so much nicer.
srosey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 12:23 PM   #4
Love Our 18 Cottage 40CCK

Bedroom Floor Replacement Complete - Instructions Enclosed

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...KI?usp=sharing

Steps to replace bedroom carpet in 2018 Cedar Creek Cottage 40CCK:

1) Remove dresser by taking out drawers and carefully unscrewing it from the walls and floor. Be sure to use caution when trying to remove the screws from the floor; as these were a bit tricky.

2) Cut out all carpet in the room - EXCEPT - leave approximately 6" inches of carpeting on all sides of the bed frame sides and front; as well as leaving 6" of carpet in front of where the slides move in on both sides. Do NOT remove carpet from underneath the bed or slides unless you plan on completely disassembling the bed (which I do not recommend).

3)Cut out all padding in these same areas where the carpet was removed. In addition, in the areas where you left the 6" carpet surround; remove the pad underneath this carpet using a knife, screwdriver etc. It's a little tough to do as you are having to pull up the carpet while digging it out from underneath these areas. If you can try to dig out as much pad as you can, even underneath the bed frame itself as well as on the left & right sides in front of where the slide moves.

4) Remove any and all staples in around the edging of the subfloor and anywhere on the subfloor where they may exist. In addition, you will need to use a razor knife and needle nose pliers to remove as much carpet from the edges of the walls where it meets the floor; around the entire room where the carpet was cut out.

5) Use dog clippers or people clippers (electric) and shave a 2" line around the carpet around the bed frame. You will have to work hard at this, as you want to shave as much carpet as possible; in order to achieve a 2" wide area of almost no carpet in order to thin out this area. This is a crucial step in order to gain more room for the slide to be able to move freely without issue.

6) Remove any vinyl flooring which runs into the bedroom with a razor knife. Be sure to scrape any areas where glue exists on the floor; as the goal is to have the sub-floor as level as possible.

7) Now staple around the 6" of carpeting left around the bed and slide fronts on both sides. Careful here...Only staple right up against the bed frame and slide fronts tightly about every 2 inches apart. Do not staple the entire 6" width; the goal here is to only staple down approximately 1" of carpeting around all sides of bed and in front of both slides the same way. It is very important that you staple down the shaved carpet in front of the slides left & right as tight as possible; to prevent any binding of the slide when in operation. In addition, you will probably have to remove some of the staples from the carpet on top of the slide where it meets the floor; to enable you to see exactly where the edge of the slide is so that you can staple tight & close. After stapling, now cut evenly apprx. 5" of the excess carpeting leaving apprx. 1" of stapled shaved carpet all around the bed sides and foot of bed and in front of both slide areas. This line will be the line which you will run the vinyl up to, so try to cut it evenly. If you are cutting through staples then you stapled too far out away from the bed rails; and will have to remove some of the staples. Once cut, check that all of the 1" of carpet that remains is stapled firmly to the sub-floor; as you will be putting the metal seam binder strips on top of this seam and the edge of the vinyl when the floors are laid.

8) Purchase a CLICK-LOCK luxury vinyl tile plank flooring NO THICKER than 3mm total; as anything thicker will come very close to not being able to clear the slides when they open & close. I chose Shaw Floors Asheville Pine color at my local Lowes. They also have trim pieces available to match. Also purchase seam binder metal strips to use on both sides of bed and at the foot of the bed.

9) When cutting the vinyl floor near the door to the hallway; be sure to cut it leaving just enough room for a transition strip between the bedroom and the hallway (this would typically be done either underneath the door itself, or just inside of the door. This line will be the stopping point of the vinyl.

10) Begin by laying the vinyl plank floors at the edge of the cut vinyl near the door to the hallway; and against the outer wall near the entry door. Work your way towards the laundry area on row at a time. Be sure when laying your first few rows, that you try to run the vinyl underneath the walls little bit; but not firmly laying against anything, as you want to leave a 1/4" expansion gap around the entire room. We were able to pull all of the staples and carpet out from under most of the walls in the room. Your experience may differ. Don't sweat it with this, as you most likely will be using quarter round afterwards anyways to hide the edges near the walls.

11) Lay the floors throughout ensuring that you run the material right up to the edges of the 1" shaved carpet around the foot of the bed and the sides of the bed, and the fronts of the slide.

12) Once the floors are all laid, you may wish to choose to glue down the last couple of planks in front of the slide areas; just to be sure that they never bind or come up.

13) Now cut to fit and hammer in your seam binding strips (metal trim found in the flooring department) on both sides of the bed, and at the foot of the bed. You may have to drill a few more holes near then ends of them in order to be sure the ends stay down; since you had to cut them to fit. If you find that the seam binging strip isn't working at the foot of the bed, you may have to get the wider transition piece instead at Lowes. Just always be sure that these pieces are firmly pounded down so as to clear all slide movement and operations. Use this same seam binder or transition strip under your door area to leave a clean finish transition between both the bedroom and the hallway.

14) Soak up your amazing hard work at this point! Now feel free to lay quarter round around the entire room if so desired. I used a combination of small pieces double sided carpet tape, along with a few finish nails (pre-drilled) in order to get it to firmly stay in place.

Parts List:
(2) Boxes (27.58 sq box ea) - Shaw Matrix 14-Piece 5.9-in x 48-in Asheville Pine Luxury Vinyl Plank
(2) Columbia Aluminum Products 1.25-in x 72-in Satin Nickel Seam Binder
(1) M-D 1.28-in x 72-in Satin Nickel Floor Transition
(4) Strips - Shaw 0.63-in x 94-in Asheville Pine Quarter Round Floor Moulding

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...KI?usp=sharing
desertcottage40cck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed, cedar creek, roo