Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2021, 10:55 AM   #1
GS1

Cedar Creek Fresh water fill

Have found several campgrounds that have 30Amp service at the campsite, but no water connection. They say they have water spigots distributed throughout the campground as the water source. We've done that before with our old TT as it had a gravity feed with two 5 gallons portable tanks. The CC's don't have a gravity fill. Does the winterizer hose dropped into a portable tank fill the fresh water tank on the CC? Do I use a threaded connection to the water fill and drop the other end into a portable tank to pump into the fresh water tank? How have you addressed this. Thanks all. GS1.
GS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 12:15 PM   #2

what is a CC? and are you saying no threaded spigot? then get you a WATER FHEIF, adapter.
Thomas ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 12:43 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas ho View Post
what is a CC? and are you saying no threaded spigot? then get you a WATER FHEIF, adapter.
A CC is a Cedar Creek - see title of thread.
No... he's saying his Cedar Creek doesn't have a gravity feed fresh tank filler.

A "WATER FHEIF"?

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 12:46 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS1 View Post
Have found several campgrounds that have 30Amp service at the campsite, but no water connection. They say they have water spigots distributed throughout the campground as the water source. We've done that before with our old TT as it had a gravity feed with two 5 gallons portable tanks. The CC's don't have a gravity fill. Does the winterizer hose dropped into a portable tank fill the fresh water tank on the CC? Do I use a threaded connection to the water fill and drop the other end into a portable tank to pump into the fresh water tank? How have you addressed this. Thanks all. GS1.
No... the "winterizer hose" also called the Antifreeze input hose bypasses the fresh water tank and goes straight into the 12v pump and to plumbing inside. I'll try to find examples of how others have used a secondary 12v pump to pressurize the threaded tank fill.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Old 01-04-2021, 01:31 PM   #5

I think I know what you're asking. The water spigots are not on each site and you have to either bring you camper to the spigot or fill a container and bring it back to your site. If this is what you mean than you could get a couple of 5 gallon tanks to bring the water back to your site and pump the water into the campers water tank using a transfer pump. Google this and you will see some pumps. ( Goplus Water Transfer Pump ) For about $50.00 you can get a nice one.
Connect two short hoses to the pump, one into the 5 gallon bucket the other connected to the threaded connection on the camper.
ken64k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 01:49 PM   #6

We love state parks with 30 amp electricity only.

Usually there are water outlets near the roads to makie filling up easy.

On our Cedar Creek Hathaway you can put the antifreeze hose in a 5 gallon bottle and then take the shower hose and connect it to the regular fill for the fresh water tank. Easy.

Or buy an electric pump. Two D batteries. And a water thief.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 02:26 PM   #7

This is new to me that an RV doesn't have a gravity feed inlet to fill the water tank. In 4 RV that we have had, they all had gravity feed inlets.
Old 01-04-2021, 02:47 PM   #8

On our CC 36CKTS you connect the water hose as normal and turn the lever above it from "City Connection" to "Gravity" and fill the tank as much as you want.
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

Rango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 02:50 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rango View Post
On our CC 36CKTS you connect the water hose as normal and turn the lever above it from "City Connection" to "Gravity" and fill the tank as much as you want.
But it still requires a tight hose connection and pressurized water to fill the fresh water tank. You can't just pour water from a jug into it.

Old 01-04-2021, 03:10 PM   #10
Always Learning

Depending on your water bay setup, you may be able to use the outdoor shower hose and run it to the fresh water fill port. You likely will need adapters for the different hose/thread sizes.

You can then use the anti-freeze inlet to suck from your 5 gallon container. It'll suck up the container, through the pump, through the outdoor shower, and into the freshwater fill.

It's also slow, at like 1 gpm.

(Edit: and now I see that tomkatb posted the same thing above.)

Or, you can do what a FRF member does and just leave the hose in the 5 gallon container, drawing directly from that without actually transferring it to your fresh water tank.

The other option is using an external pump. I bought a Harbor Freight transfer pump. It's not freshwater safe, but none of us have grown an extra arm yet. The HF pump pumps at 3 gpm. I was talking to another FRF member who said he uses a new/unused transfer pump from his homebrewing days. It has specs at 7 gpm and is only about $100. I'm interested in that one.
Old 01-04-2021, 03:30 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkatb View Post
On our Cedar Creek Hathaway you can put the antifreeze hose in a 5 gallon bottle and then take the shower hose and connect it to the regular fill for the fresh water tank.

This is the method I have used for years. Simple and effective, and on my rig there was no need for any adapters.

(And I see on coming back in to edit that ependydad uses this method as well.)

Rich Phillips
richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 03:37 PM   #12

This is what I do on my 2015 CC 29IK

Fill water tank with winter siphon - dry camping water fill

1. put winterizing siphon into the water container
2. attach the outside shower hose to fresh water connection.
3. select the fresh water "tank"position (gravity)
4. turn on the water pump
5. turn on the cold water side of the outside shower
6. select the winterizing valve settings Close line from siphon line to trailer, open valve on siphon wand hose. (So both get turned)
7. when the container is empty, turn off the cold water side of the outside shower which will stop the pump
8. repeat appropriate steps until all containers are empty or fresh water tank is full.
halfdome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 04:11 PM   #13
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS1 View Post
Depending on your fresh tank capacity, REFILLING the fresh tank may not be necessary for a weekend stay.

Reading your post, you mentioned these campgrounds have spigots throughout the park and you can use any one of them to fill your fresh tank before you park at your site just as you would from any other spigot. Then just use your on-board pump.

If you don't believe your fresh water supply will last as long as your stay, then you'll need to do as has been mentioned in whatever way you choose from the various suggestions. Once we've used our fresh tank supply, I simply draw from a container using the winterizing connection. The on-board pump doesn't care whether it sucks from the tank or a container on the ground. You just need to turn your winterizing valve to the correct position and use a short hose into the container.

Also, at the many state parks we camp at that have water spigots located throughout the park, it's not uncommon to see folks connect a couple 100' hoses together and then to a nearby hydrant for just only long enough to refill their fresh tank.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 04:21 PM   #14

We always filled from the community spigot whether gravity or threaded as we entered the CG. If we were staying more days than our FW could support we carried enough hose to reach our set up RV for a refill. There were usually enough communal spigots scattered around that we could reach one. At one time we carried a FW tank out of a wrecked TT and used a fountain pump to refill the FW. The FW tank survived the 40 ft drop from a tornado while most of the rest of the that wrecked TT didn't.
Old 01-04-2021, 04:31 PM   #15

You can use gravity to fill your water tank. You just have to connect a hose to the water connection, turn the valve to gravity, and have the other end higher than the inlet. 5 gallons of water weighs 44 pounds, so you’ll need a way to get the container high enough. I stand on the end gate of the pickup.
curteric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 04:33 PM   #16
GS1

Thanks for the summary. So basically it's the same way I winterize the black tank flush but instead run into the fresh water tank inlet. Good deal - just didn't connect enough dots. Some of the campgrounds that have only 30 amp service at each site look nice. This allows us more options as we plan trips - thanks.
GS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 05:14 PM   #17

Not knowing your model. But knowing the Cedar Creek line. You should have a handle that City/Gravity. If so just stop at the community water riser, Hook up your water hose and fill your water tank before going to the site. Luckily the site we use in a state CG has a risor right at the site. So we didnt need to worry about water throughout the stay. As we would just hook the house up when more water was needed.
CAUTION behind this truck is A contagious disease!!!
Its called Camping!!!
kirk37r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 05:51 PM   #18

No need to transfer water into fresh tank, With my CC I made a short extension for the winterizing hose. A 5 or 6 gallon water tote fits in the storage area right beside the water hookup area. There is enough gap between the hookup area and storage area for the hose so you can close the door. Why waste your time pumping into fresh water tank?
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid toad
cub22908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 05:52 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
But it still requires a tight hose connection and pressurized water to fill the fresh water tank. You can't just pour water from a jug into it.
One can siphon water into the tank thru the hose fitting as long as the 5 gal. buckets are higher and gravity is still working in 2021. After last year that may be subject to change ...

Happy New Years everyone and keep on camping!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

Rango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 04:31 PM   #20

Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by curteric View Post
You can use gravity to fill your water tank. You just have to connect a hose to the water connection, turn the valve to gravity, and have the other end higher than the inlet. 5 gallons of water weighs 44 pounds, so you’ll need a way to get the container high enough. I stand on the end gate of the pickup.
We carry several of the "snake hoses" that take up no room. Make friends-
hook every hose together it takes from your neighbors. You are probably not the only one running out of water. I always check before making the reservation- how many hoses I may need to bring accordingly. I have about 350 feet of snake hoses.
OFF DUTY is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cedar creek, fresh water, water