Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2014, 12:15 PM   #1

Cedar Creek front cap fading

While checking the roof on my 14 month old 2014 34 RLSA Cedar Creek I noticed the top of the front cap fading. It first looked like oxidation so I tried some Meguiars #50 Cleaner Wax. This made it look a little better but still has a light "haze" look about it. It is just the top of the cap where it gets the most sun before it drops down the front. I thought this was a gel coat solid color cap and concerned it looks like this so soon.
Has anyone else had any issues with their Cedar Creek or Silverback?

ret2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 12:53 PM   #2

I have a 3 year old Silverback and have not had any problems with the front cap. But if you are 2 months out of warranty I would contact your dealer and/or start making some phone calls to Forest River.
Old 08-13-2014, 04:54 PM   #3

Hi, we have a 2012 Forest River Crusader 325 RES with the same problem you have. At first we thought it was just dust, but after washing realized it was a bit bigger problem. We also tried Meguiar's Oxidation remover without much success, we had some Poli Ox left over from our last rig and gave that a try, looked worse, but when we applied the Poli Glow it now looks like new. Check out their website at www.poliglow.com, it's a bit labor intensive but well worth it.
Good luck, mact5
mact5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 10:09 PM   #4

Call Cedar Creek warranty and see what they will do for you. Did you buy the second year warranty from Cedar Creek?

Carroll

2020 Cedar Creek Silverback 33IK
2011 Ford F250 Superduty Powerstroke
cbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 04:19 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbari View Post
Call Cedar Creek warranty and see what they will do for you. Did you buy the second year warranty from Cedar Creek?

Carroll
I did buy the second year warranty.

Old 08-14-2014, 06:55 AM   #6

I have the same problem but
When I first saw it I didn't think to much about it. I think I will call the dealer

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 09:52 PM   #7
Plain Old Member

When we bought ours, I was told they were painted. It still looked to be like the color infused fiberglass like the sidewalls. Whether it was originally I don't know for sure, but it is now, and actually looks a little better. Original cap was repaired and repainted, then the whole cap was replaced, now that cap is getting repaired and repainted. So, I do know now that it's painted.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 08:32 PM   #8

The front cap is made of fiberglass and finished with gelcoat like a boat. It will fade over time with exposure to the sun like boats do, but the finish is thick and solid color so when you polish it looks new. That is why if it is repaired it should be done with gelcoat not paint, it will not match over time. So some elbow grease or buffer and it will look like new again.
Jscribner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 08:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jscribner View Post
The front cap is made of fiberglass and finished with gelcoat like a boat. It will fade over time with exposure to the sun like boats do, but the finish is thick and solid color so when you polish it looks new. That is why if it is repaired it should be done with gelcoat not paint, it will not match over time. So some elbow grease or buffer and it will look like new again.
I thought it was a solid color gel coat because Cedar Creek sent me a small container to repair a chip on the cap. When my unit came in to the dealer it had a BB size chip.

I am going to have the cap professionally waxed with Rejex soon. I will report back on the results.

Old 08-15-2014, 09:22 PM   #10
Plain Old Member

Sounds like there is lots of mixed information on what finish is on the caps. Anybody talk to Cedar Creek and ask? One would think they are gel coat, and more than likely are. Mine however is actually painted now.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 11:13 AM   #11

Cedar Creek sent me a pint bottle if gel coat so I could have a local boat shop make a repair. You can not tell it was done,perfect match. All of the body shops I talked to said they could paint the spot and blend it, but that will not match over time.
Jscribner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 06:05 PM   #12

Did anyone ever find how to fix this problem as I tried Maguires #5 and did very little.
Campingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 07:12 PM   #13

I have an SOB that faded. It is the gray color that was popular a couple years ago. I had to get the front cap painted with a base coat clear coat finish to eliminate the problem. In my opinion this is the only real long term solution. Polishing will help for a short time but it won't last. Many of the major manufacturers are now going to painted caps as opposed to colored gel-coat caps.
GOTTOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 10:33 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOTTOYS View Post
I have an SOB that faded. It is the gray color that was popular a couple years ago. I had to get the front cap painted with a base coat clear coat finish to eliminate the problem. In my opinion this is the only real long term solution. Polishing will help for a short time but it won't last. Many of the major manufacturers are now going to painted caps as opposed to colored gel-coat caps.
Was it repainted under warranty if not how much did it cost? And where did you get it painted? Just wonder if an automotive paint shop would do it? I'd be leery about having any RV place paint anything except the rear bumper.
goduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 10:46 AM   #15

I have the same problem, going to work on it in about a week. Going to try Poliglow, keep you informed.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Ranger7700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 03:33 PM   #16

be
Quote:
Originally Posted by goduc View Post
Was it repainted under warranty if not how much did it cost? And where did you get it painted? Just wonder if an automotive paint shop would do it? I'd be leery about having any RV place paint anything except the rear bumper.
Mine was done under warranty with some coaxing. I had it painted at a truck/bus bodyshop. They were the only ones with a large enough spray booth. $1500.00. Seemed kind of high but that's what they charged. I did get a couple other estimates that were even higher. Now the rear cap is doing the same thing. I tried the Zep coating on it but it didn't even last a year and it's turning white again. I guess there's no UV protection in the Zep stuff. I might clean and recoat it just before I trade it off. I really want a new CC but it just isn't in the cards yet. Looks like it will have to be one with paint on it when the day comes...
GOTTOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 09:17 AM   #17

I have a 2013 Silverback with the same fading on the front cap. I contacted forest river via E mail and described the problem, the unit is 3 months out of warranty. They recognize the problem and have authorized my dealer to repair the front cap, they are going to wet sand,buffing,polishing then clear coating with a Urethane High UV coating
jackssilverback29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 09:57 AM   #18

Who did you email?
Campingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 01:42 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackssilverback29 View Post
I have a 2013 Silverback with the same fading on the front cap. I contacted forest river via E mail and described the problem, the unit is 3 months out of warranty. They recognize the problem and have authorized my dealer to repair the front cap, they are going to wet sand,buffing,polishing then clear coating with a Urethane High UV coating
That is the same fix Forest River authorized for my Cedar Creek. I haven't had it done yet. Hope it works.

Old 11-02-2014, 09:03 AM   #20

Front cap fading

The person I contacted is Denise Davis her E mail is
dldavis@forestriverinc.com
be sure to list the VIN number
jackssilverback29 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cedar creek